Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Local spicy food

1. Default Re: Local spicy food

Had Big Truck for a non-breakfast meal yesterday for the first time in a long time. I was reminded why I only eat there for breakfast.

Default Re: Local spicy food

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Had Big Truck for a non-breakfast meal yesterday for the first time in a long time. I was reminded why I only eat there for breakfast.
    Weird - I could eat at big truck twice a week, if not more. Agreed, the food isn't incredible - but the sauces - the sauces! I usually tell them "a lot of OMG and OMFG" if I'm getting drive-thru. Usually they'll ask how many of each, they probably recognize me over the phone by now. We usually have a stock in the fridge.

Usually my wife have to say "extra extra extra spicy" to get even close to anything remotely authentic. Depends on where though - at SAII on N May, we need to tell them extrax20. At Thai Kitchen, the owner knows us and understands we want it Thai Spicy, so usually 4/5 is good enough there.

And agree with the poster above about Manna - Pete have you been there yet? By far the most authentic Indian food in the city. They'll make it the way it's done in India.

Confirmed Big Truck has good sauces.

I had a great omelette at the Chandler Cafe today, ham, cheese, jalapeños, habaneros and onions. Lousy service, but excellent food.
    C. T.

5. Default Re: Local spicy food

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Confirmed Big Truck has good sauces.
    Agreed... The sauces were the only reason I went there more than once.

6. Default Re: Local spicy food

Well it's not local but I was in Nashville the day before Thanksgiving and tried Prince's Hot Chicken.

I got the XXXHot.... It wasn't the hottest food I've ever eaten but the amount of cayenne pepper they put on it made it pretty tough to deal with.

https://www.facebook.com/22558890082...type=3&theater

I put cayenne pepper in lots of things but it doesn't add much flavor -- just shear heat.

I am now craving that red sauce at Taqueria Rafita's. I'll have to make a return trip this week.

My wife and I found ourselves on memorial road picking up late night deals before the black weekend ended. We decided to get a drink to celebrate our capitalism but couldn't think of a solitary bar other than the sad old hudson's so we tried to guess the fast-casual with the best bar experience. We headed for Texas Roadhouse... Not taking anything very seriously we ended up having a really good time. Drinks were cheap(for a restaurant), after our second round we decided to share the appetizer plate. Long story short the "hot" boneless wings delivered a really tasty punch. Wife count handle them, one bite and she stole my beer and started fanning her mouth. For reference, she'll eat a grilled jalapeño any day of the week unless it's a hot batch.

I don't know if it warrants a trip to Texas Roadhouse. We usually avoid chains like the plague. But We'll uber up there and spend a night at the bar soon. The prime rib looked legitimate and the peanut floor combined with 70's country was a welcome change of pace.

They also claim to make Texas red (a chunked chuck roast and chili pepper only style chili), I'll believe it when I try it but does anyone know a place around the metro that makes the real deal? That stuff can get nuclear hot. The Texas chili parlor in Austin is the benchmark, I also love that their menu and signage clearly say, "it's hot, no refunds."

9. Default Re: Local spicy food

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    They also claim to make Texas red (a chunked chuck roast and chili pepper only style chili), I'll believe it when I try it but does anyone know a place around the metro that makes the real deal? That stuff can get nuclear hot. The Texas chili parlor in Austin is the benchmark, I also love that their menu and signage clearly say, "it's hot, no refunds."
    The Texas Chili Parlor is awesome and last time I was there it was being managed by a guy from Edmond. He spotted me wearing a KU shirt and got to talking to me about Bill Self.

I did the flight of chili where I got to sample 3 of them and enjoyed them all.

Pretty much my go to place for chili in OKC, when I don't make it at home, is Ron's.

My favorite spicy comfort food is the Green Chile Stew from Power House. It is a awesome standby with a cold beer.

Thai food, def Thai Kitchen downtown. Once the Thai lady knows that you aren't a weak softie, she serves the real deal upon request. The buffet is good too with both red and green curries consistently being above all others in the metro.

^^^^
    And UP goes two for two. Couldn't agree more on both of those place. Haven't found the Green Chile to be too hotm but its really good. Thai Kitchen has the best massaman curry in town. Nobody else is even close.

Thanks for the reminder to try Thai Kitchen.

I'm not big on the buffet, but I have yet to try the menu items.

Only had Thai Kitchen once and I thought their lunch buffet was a joke. Selection was weak and a few of the unpopular items that day seemed old. Wife ordered off the menu and didn't really enjoy it either. We really like Bistro 38 and Thai House II

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Charm.

Had BWW the other night and got the mango habanero and the reformulated Blazin , it was still hot as hell, but it has a lot better flavor now. I paid for all night with heartburn......

I just heard about it this week so haven't tried it yet, but there's a relatively new restaurant called Wing Supreme on Lincoln that I'll try soon and see how their spice levels compare to others.

Thread Information