Widgets Magazine

Thread: Chaparral Energy News

Default Chaparral Energy News

Here's the local layoff I was referring to a few weeks ago: 121 positions at Chaparral. Several high level managers were cut in addition to general employees. This was not an internal decision but one forced by CCMP, a capital investment firm that owns 33% of the company.

http://m.newsok.com/chaparral-energy...rticle/5390174

Default Re: Chaparral Energy News

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Here's the local layoff I was referring To: 121 positions at Chaparral. Several high level managers were cut in addition to general employees. This was not an internal decision but one forced by CCMP, a capital investment firm that owns 33% of the company.

Chaparral Energy to cut 121 positions | NewsOK.com
    CEO and his cronies could have taken a pay cut and they would have saved more.

Earl Renoylds (COO), Jeff Dahlberg (SVP), and Jim miller(SVP) were put into power almost three years ago and their horrible leadership has ruined what was once a respectable company. Really sad, but that's what happens when you let incompetent engineers make all the important decisions

^^^^
    did those guys stay or go today?

Didn't Chesapeake sell their stake in the company a while back? They must of seen the hand writing on the wall.

CHK sold their stake at a time when they were making huge cutbacks and massive asset sales.

Chaparral has been trying to sell itself off to a bigger firm for quite some time…Can't imagine that's been too helpful for them, but it's not like they haven't grown. Phi, you worked for them at one point, didn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyOcean View Post
    ^^^^
    did those guys stay or go today?
    All stayed

Earl Renoylds (COO), Jeff Dahlberg (SVP), and Jim miller(SVP) were put into power almost three years ago and their horrible leadership has ruined what was once a respectable company. Really sad, but that's what happens when you let incompetent engineers make all the important decisions
    Funny you say this cause there is a VP at my work that was an engineer and her philosophy is if she doesn't get it, no one will, cause she's an engineer. I just laugh because she has no sense of what a reasonable person thinks, because frankly she isn't that smart, just happens to be family. One of these days I'm going to smart off and say well I understand, but then again, I do have a masters. lol

That's so true. OH WAIT! You're talking about an oil company and not OKC. LOL

According to the Journal Record commercial property sales, Chaparral Real Estate LLC sold 11,134 of their office space on Britton and Kelly to 9301 Realty LLC for $3.8 million. It looks like 9301 Realty LLC is based out of Tulsa. According to the county assessor, Chaparral has total sf of 141,600, so this is just a portion, but still, not a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    According to the Journal Record commercial property sales, Chaparral Real Estate LLC sold 11,134 of their office space on Britton and Kelly to 9301 Realty LLC for $3.8 million. It looks like 9301 Realty LLC is based out of Tulsa. According to the county assessor, Chaparral has total sf of 141,600, so this is just a portion, but still, not a good sign.
    They purchased those buildings and renovated them to become part of their "campus" in 2010 or 2011 but retreated back to the main building after last years' layoff. I believe they started marketing them as early as last March (layoffs were in February). Given that it was only 11,134 square feet, I'm not sure they sold both of them. The cooler of the two was the former Joe Kelly's Restaurant and has a pretty cool deck behind it overlooking the pond. The other had a very nice, newly renovated training room in it and I want to say either the former owner or the owner of the restaurant back in the 80s lived in the upstairs portion of it. It has a fireplace, a big bathroom with a shower and what looks like was a kitchen at one time. It's too bad that the expansion plan fell apart because they had a pretty cool little campus going with some ambitious additions planned for it. The construction quality of their main building and the renovations on the other two were top notch.

Having said that, they've been marketing those properties since immediately after the layoff, so I don't think the sale is indicative of a further decline in the company's condition. Due to all of their Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) operations, they are uniquely positioned to ride out the downturn as well as any company (or any of the struggling companies) in town assuming some of the dumb decisions made over the last few years aren't too big to overcome.

EOR (tertiary recovery) involves using CO2 to re-pressurize formations depleted during primary recovery and waterflooding (secondary recovery) operations. Assuming continuation of current activity levels, production from all their EOR fields is set to increase for the next 10-20 years before they start a long, slow decline. Most of the investment is made upfront in building infrastructure so at this point they can either continue to drill cheap vertical wells to increase production or slow down and let the price come back before spending more money to increase production that they would get less money for. Because the EOR production decline is so much flatter than that of shales and tight oil formations, they don't have to keep drilling rampantly to replace production. Since production from wells under the each of the EOR units is unitized they can probably even shut in wells and lower production to whatever level is needed to cover the bills without producing oil that could be sold for more later this year or next.

They purchased those buildings and renovated them to become part of their "campus" in 2010 or 2011 but retreated back to the main building after last years' layoff. I believe they started marketing them as early as last March (layoffs were in February). Given that it was only 11,134 square feet, I'm not sure they sold both of them. The cooler of the two was the former Joe Kelly's Restaurant and has a pretty cool deck behind it overlooking the pond. The other had a very nice, newly renovated training room in it and I want to say either the former owner or the owner of the restaurant back in the 80s lived in the upstairs portion of it. It has a fireplace, a big bathroom with a shower and what looks like was a kitchen at one time. It's too bad that the expansion plan fell apart because they had a pretty cool little campus going with some ambitious additions planned for it. The construction quality of their main building and the renovations on the other two were top notch.

Having said that, they've been marketing those properties since immediately after the layoff, so I don't think the sale is indicative of a further decline in the company's condition. Due to all of their Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) operations, they are uniquely positioned to ride out the downturn as well as any company (or any of the struggling companies) in town assuming some of the dumb decisions made over the last few years aren't too big to overcome.

EOR (tertiary recovery) involves using CO2 to re-pressurize formations depleted during primary recovery and waterflooding (secondary recovery) operations. Assuming continuation of current activity levels, production from all their EOR fields is set to increase for the next 10-20 years before they start a long, slow decline. Most of the investment is made upfront in building infrastructure so at this point they can either continue to drill cheap vertical wells to increase production or slow down and let the price come back before spending more money to increase production that they would get less money for. Because the EOR production decline is so much flatter than that of shales and tight oil formations, they don't have to keep drilling rampantly to replace production. Since production from wells under the each of the EOR units is unitized they can probably even shut in wells and lower production to whatever level is needed to cover the bills without producing oil that could be sold for more later this year or next.
    Good to know, thanks for correcting me.

I've heard that the axeman cometh today at Chaparral from a few people. No details yet but they released a few SVPs last week.

Thread Information