Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
Teachers do get fired in OKCPS……..It’s not often enough but if an principle is willing to put in the long hard work that is required, a teacher can be fired…. The problem is that very few principles are willing to do this work that is necessary to get rid of bad teachers because the system that was agreed to in negotiations is flawed.
Retaining, attracting, and nurturing good teachers is a far more important issue than firing bad ones. A lot of the bad teachers are still better than long term subs. What's the use in firing bad teachers if there's no one to replace them? Remember, there's a teacher shortage.

I recently listened to a story (I think it was Freakonomics, but I can't remember) that said that teachers are actually fired more than many other similar professions. However, firing bad teachers has become a talking point. Having said that, there need to be high expectations in the field. No student deserves a bad teacher. But you can't get that with low pay and demoralizing cultures/politics.