Widgets Magazine

Thread: Oklahoma Teacher Shortage

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Oklahoma Teacher Shortage

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I agree with most of your suggestions, but do you have any evidence that tenure actually causes laziness. Most studies I've seen have not seen a correlation. What tenure does is provide teachers comfort in knowing they can teach about evolution or controversial issues, things that they should be doing, without losing their job because of political reasons.
    I agree totally with what Dan has said here. I have taught 38 yrs in Oklahoma, all in the same large district, on the southside of OKC. Next year will be my 39th and last. Retiring. Nothing has changed in those 38-39 years as far as teacher pay and school funding is concerned. I doubt it ever will. It just gets lip service from everyone. But, nothing happens. In my humble opinion, one of the biggest problems in Oklahoma, at least, is way too many administrators at every level, making outrageous salaries. I have a masters in admin and curriculum supervision and enough hours for 2 PHD's. But, I felt my calling and strengths were in the classroom with the everyday give and take with students and the relationship with them. I think I've touched and influenced MANY more students/people than I ever would have as an administrator. But, my income doesn't reflect that. My mistake I suppose.

Default Re: Oklahoma Teacher Shortage

If anyone wants a nice historical read on the putrid history of teacher treatment in the U.S. Then read Dana Goldstein's "The Teacher Wars" that just came out last year. It's also available on audiobook.

Thread Information