Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: I240 Revitalization Efforts

Default Re: I240 Revitalization Efforts

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Why shouldn't the I-240 corridor be the best place to implement new urbanism? There are hundreds of examples from around the US where failed retail areas have been rebuilt which have gone on to be some of the most successful and sought after places to live, and generate enough tax revenue to pay for their own upkeep.
    I guess why I'm a bit hesitant to suggest anything too drastic for the 240 corridor is that it isn't a "failed retail area." I think we need to keep in mind a clear distinction between areas that are, in fact, failed, and those that perhaps aren't terribly attractive, but are a far cry from failed. There are clearly some ugly spots, like the old Albertson's building on May, and the defunct-turned-police-station car lot near I-35, but that's very near the area of the interchange rebuild. The 240 Penn Park seems busy with its variety of stores and restaurants, and even the old Walnut Creek center isn't totally abandoned since Hobby Lobby took over the Homeland space.

Just want to make sure we keep the idea of balance in place. Surgical strikes could do very well here.

2. Default Re: I240 Revitalization Efforts

I definitely agree SoonerDave....240 is far from being a failed area. It continues to attract business. if it didn't, we wouldn't have seen the old walmart torn out and turned into that (ug) strip center. We'd have an empty Krispy Kreme instead of an awesome The Garage. I don't count the old car lot since the state forced them out as part of the interchange construction buyout...the DMV is just using it until its time to doze it.

I'm not shy to point out the paving issues along the interstate, but I would like to see something to green up the space a bit as well. There isn't a lot of space to work with along the frontage at really any part of the road, but it would be nice to get some sort of greenery around. Trees or something (not Bradford Pear please). You can actually do a lot of visual good with simple things like Crepe Merdles (spelling?). Midwest City placed a huge number of them along the "wall" of I-40 on 29th toward the east end of Town Center and beyond. In a space that only has a few feet, it actually helps turn it into something very pretty in spring/summer as they all bud and you get a wall of color instead of industrial Tinker buildings.

The area doesn't really have an identity though either. Yeah it's heavily Hispanic, but really only north of 240 and that identity is more focused at Capital Hill. So I'm not sure if you could create an identity zone out of it (240-land or whatever lol). But is definitely a very unattractive and practical section of road.

3. Default Re: I240 Revitalization Efforts

One thing that they should do is just about every intersection from May to Shields can be a SPUI. If they were to do some quick simple light changes those intersections can move a lot more smoothly especially traffic going from Northbound to Westbound 240.

Yeah, I would definitely agree that the I-240 corridor is not a "failed retail area" - the South OKC Chamber of Commerce has done somewhat well in this regard - but the area could still use some help with both commercial and residential zones. As mentioned before, Walnut Square, Shields Plaza, and the former Albertsons on May need some work, as do several apartment complexes along the highway. The highway itself needs tweaking done to the ramps and service roads, and some actual greenery along the road would be fantastic. I agree, some crepe myrtles mixed in with a few trees could look super nice. I don't know how maintenance intensive they are, however.

5. Default Re: I240 Revitalization Efforts

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I definitely agree SoonerDave....240 is far from being a failed area. It continues to attract business. if it didn't, we wouldn't have seen the old walmart torn out and turned into that (ug) strip center. We'd have an empty Krispy Kreme instead of an awesome The Garage. I don't count the old car lot since the state forced them out as part of the interchange construction buyout...the DMV is just using it until its time to doze it.
    That's still a problem spot though. A planning process may actually be particularly helpful in dealing with that situation. The state has had it for a decade..

As usual, the public sector is the worst building code and community aesthetic offender. People in OKC's public sector have very low aesthetic standards, don't understand the value of them, and they disregard what is best for the city by making land assembly as easy for themselves as possible.

In this instance the state bought out the car dealership once its interchange plans were announced, because they didn't want land speculation to raise the land costs of the project before they even have funds in hand.

6. Default Re: I240 Revitalization Efforts

But if we know the building is going to be torn down, would you be happy as a tax payer if your money was used to spruce up an old car lot that was doomed in the next 10 years? I agree, it's utilitarian, but hey, that's how it was built by Fred Jones. The state hasn't done anything to it, good or bad, but they haven't let it fall to pieces or anything. The place was new enough, that even if they don't do anything, it's not exactly crumbling. The grounds are maintained, there aren't a bunch of grass/weeds growing in the parking lot, there aren't broken windows....it's just a plain white metal/stucco building.

Also keep in mind that the state only had OHP using it as a way-station for vehicles until the DMV moved in relatively recently from their overcrowded space at OHP Troop A (one building I actually would like to see dozed and rebuilt to bring it into this century).

Does anyone know what going on on 240 beside the 240 stril mall. Its like next to the shopping center and behind Golden COrral and Dennys and Canes. They seem to be moving dirt around.

8. Default Re: I240 Revitalization Efforts

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly831 View Post
    Does anyone know what going on on 240 beside the 240 stril mall. Its like next to the shopping center and behind Golden COrral and Dennys and Canes. They seem to be moving dirt around.
    I saw an application in the City Planning Department for something of this nature. They may rework the road a bit too, but it is for the eventual 102,000 sq. ft. expansion of 240 Penn Park. Which is the newish shopping center with BestBuy, Michael's, Old Navy, etc.

^

Right. Conn's is actually moving into a bigger space and then they are building loads of spec space:

Glad to see Phase 2 progress. Last time I drove through there a few months ago I was wondering how long that would be vacant.

The airport really is missing the game by taking ages to get their retail project on the east side of the airport going. Pretty soon this stretch of 240 will be well saturated and there won't be a lot of big name tenants left to draw to anchor the airport project.

Speaking of, that is the slowest dang project I have ever seen. They have been talking about it for probably close to 10 years now. It has taken 5+ years just to get 1 mile of the new Portland alignment completed. They still have another mile to go and it hasn't even started! Amazing!

11. Default Re: I240 Revitalization Efforts

Im surprised Conns is doing that well. It will be interesting to see what they can get to move into the other space. The tough part about this location, is that it's not visible from the interstate. All of the frontage eateries take up the view.

So is something going into where the old Conn's was? I hate to see one strip mall picked over for another.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    So is something going into where the old Conn's was? I hate to see one strip mall picked over for another.
    Their existing space is currently listed for lease. I'm sure they'll find someone to take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Their existing space is currently listed for lease. I'm sure they'll find someone to take it.
    I vote for Service Merchandise.

Pete I was looking at the drawing. The larger retail on the oposite end of Conn's in the photo it looks like a Cost Plus World Market.

16. Default Re: I240 Revitalization Efforts

Quote Originally Posted by Kemotblue View Post
    Pete I was looking at the drawing. The larger retail on the oposite end of Conn's in the photo it looks like a Cost Plus World Market.
    NO WAY!!!! If that's true, I'm going to kiss you!!!!

This is looking great! I can't wait to see the old Albertsons at 240 and May come back to life too - albeit for now, just an OnCue on the pad site fronting 240 - and with any luck, someone will develop the empty lot on the NE corner of 240 and Santa Fe.

18. Default Re: I240 Revitalization Efforts

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Im surprised Conns is doing that well. It will be interesting to see what they can get to move into the other space. The tough part about this location, is that it's not visible from the interstate. All of the frontage eateries take up the view.
    It's actually not going to be setback much further than it's current location, which is also covered by Hooters, Old Chicago, Gas Station, Fedex Kinkos, and Wright Career College. I would assume that's why the massing is so large in the front, so they can get their name up high on the building for visibility.

I wouldn't be worried about the empty space Conn's will leave either, I remember 5-8 years ago when that particular shopping center was DEAD. Now it's completely full. It seemed to happen really fast too after 240 Penn Park, although it could definitely benefit from a reconfiguration, or a the very least, a repaving of the parking lot and some landscaping.

19. Default Re: I240 Revitalization Efforts

True 'dat Architect. I did notice dirt work was being done there when I went to Green Acres yesterday. So looks like it's moving along....not that there was much dirt work to do since it was flat, but there are already boards out to mark the foundation outline.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    This is looking great! I can't wait to see the old Albertsons at 240 and May come back to life too - albeit for now, just an OnCue on the pad site fronting 240 - and with any luck, someone will develop the empty lot on the NE corner of 240 and Santa Fe.
    Okay, I'll bite - are you talking about a "real" OnCue coming to that location, or are you just *wishing* for one? I really can't tell. Not trying to be sarcastic - an OnCue there would be a winner. That old Albertsons's site is an eyesore - it needs help.

To the best of my knowledge, it's in the works... Pete posted that in the OnCue OKC Expansion thread. I'm pretty sure nothing is official on that spot though... At least not yet.

As for the old Albertsons there at I-240 and May, here's what the developer wants to do with it:

According to Pete: "Land Run is subdividing the old Homeland property, adding a retail strip along May and sub-dividing the old grocery store." He thinks the OnCue would go in place of the two proposed buildings fronting I-240.

The subdivision and renovation of the main building is probably waiting for Wild Bill's Furniture, Fixtures, and Equipment's lease to run out.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, it's in the works... Pete posted that in the OnCue OKC Expansion thread. I'm pretty sure nothing is official on that spot though... At least not yet.

As for the old Albertsons there at I-240 and May, here's what the developer wants to do with it:

According to Pete: "Land Run is subdividing the old Homeland property, adding a retail strip along May and sub-dividing the old grocery store." He thinks the OnCue would go in place of the two proposed buildings fronting I-240.

The subdivision and renovation of the main building is probably waiting for Wild Bill's Furniture, Fixtures, and Equipment's lease to run out.
    Looks a lot like what they did with the old Albertson's space on SW 104th and Western about 10 years ago or thereabouts. Gotta admit, anything with that old box at that location would be an improvement! Great to hear its on tap.

It looks like the OnCue at I-240 and Sooner Road is now open.

The Olive Garden off I-240 is set for a major remodel.

Building permit just submitted.

Mowing along the service roads would go along way......looks awful!

Thread Information