Widgets Magazine

Thread: Bricktown Blues & Barbecue 2015 Festival

Blog Entries

Default Bricktown Blues & Barbecue 2015 Festival

Great atmosphere, music & good event for OKC area portfolio of festivals & events. Definitely would like to see this festival continue to grow and blossom into an annual attraction.

Food: The potato salad,, beef & pork sandwiches were fantastic.

Oklahoma City definitely needs to recruit someone who knows how to prepare smoked & barbecued pork ribs. The ribs at this year's festival were undercooked. The BBQ beans were cold, unseasoned & tasted like something from a can of government commodities. Sent an on-line personal critique to the Bricktown Blues & BBQ about my concerns...

When Wylie York closed Big Beef Barbecue (50th & Classen Circle), OKC lost a jewel of a BBQ restaurant & tourist attraction. Big Beef BBQ was initially an extension from Little Pigs of America franchises (Memphis, TN). Jimmy's Egg occupies the current Big Beef site.

Default Re: Bricktown Blues & Barbecue 2015 Festival

They're going to have to spend more on talent to get me to come back. Nothing against the local guys but I've seen them all many times. The festival used to bring in regional and national acts but they've gone way cheap. Blues fans would come from Tulsa and Wichita if they booked a good lineup. Cornett must be doing the booking.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    They're going to have to spend more on talent to get me to come back. Nothing against the local guys but I've seen them all many times. The festival used to bring in regional and national acts but they've gone way cheap. Blues fans would come from Tulsa and Wichita if they booked a good lineup. Cornett must be doing the booking.
    I agree with the talent assessment, but the dig at Cornett was rude and unnecessary!!

Maybe it's also a matter of advertising? I would have loved to consider trying this kind of event, but knew not one thing about it. Too bad to find out about it after the fact.

I heard about it but it was the same weekend as Pride.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    I agree with the talent assessment, but the dig at Cornett was rude and unnecessary!!
    Sorry if I hurt Mick's feelings. When it's undertakings paid with the most regressive tax the sky is the limit spare no expense we're all pulling on the same rope- a blues fest for the little people and they book Otis Watkins because he'll play for $50 and a smoked turkey leg(just kidding Otis)

It's just that you are getting really close to becoming the "Thanks Mick" meme for OKCtalk.

Thread Information