Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Dowell Center

Default Re: Dowell Center

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    That is easy to fix - just invert the tax structure. Unimproved lot pays the highest tax. Parking lots pay the next highest tax. ..

Increasing taxes on parking lot owners will just increase the cost of parking for the downtown employees and businesses. The taxes will just get passed on to the consumer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Increasing taxes on parking lot owners will just increase the cost of parking for the downtown employees and businesses. The taxes will just get passed on to the consumer.
    It would yes so we might have to wait until an alternative means of transportation is available to get downtown, like regional rail. On the other hand, if we do it before there is an alternative it would help get a lot of support behind getting regional rail on-line faster. Maybe we could even use the money collected from the tax on vacant lots and parking lots to help fund mass transit.

This is from Richard Mize's article today about downtown office space:

Owner Rick Dowell denied that Friday, and said the building at 250 N Robinson will remain an office building.

I don't know much about the Dowell Center...is it empty or in use?

Been completely empty for two decades now.

Wow, what a shame... and it seems like a big time missed opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Been completely empty for two decades now.
    He can't really call it an office building then, can he?

I'm sure Dowell is waiting for the Parkside Building and Kerr / Couch Park to be finished before starting any renovation.

But if he doesn't start shortly thereafter, he should be leaned on pretty hard.

I know the building ownership was a mess when he acquired it and that there was an asbestos problem but we are closing in on 20 years now. Time to get busy... It's the last empty building of any significance in the CBD.

I am not a builder or owner of a large building but it just seems if you started work now it would come closer to dovetailing the end of the Dowell Center renovation with the completion of other downtown projects.

Hallelujah. This and the news that the FNC sale has been cleared to proceed, both in the same day? Fantastic news for the city.

I wonder which one will finish first - Dowell Center or Parkside.

I absolutely LOVE the original art deco building. Is there any chance that could be restored?

No, only very minor changes to the exterior.

15. Default Re: Dowell Center

Until First National and Ramsey Tower were finished, it was the city's first true skyscraper.

16. Default Re: Dowell Center

No, only very minor changes to the exterior.
    That's not really the answer to bchris' question, but rather an explanation of what Dowell is willing to do after sitting on this bldg for years, including years after receiving public assistance to do something.

He told me he will be gutting the entire structure; walls, wiring, everything.

The outside will be cleaned up after the bordering construction substantially stops. The two top levels will receive some minor exterior changes; probably new windows.

Street level of this building is pretty great and the lobby will get a full renovation as well.

There is a lot of office space in this building and it will make a big difference once it is relatively full. More people, more street life, more customers for everything downtown.

I'm hoping Dowell's idea of Class A space is not what many of us would think of as Class B. I say this only because of his track record with other projects and remodels.

Good quality Class B space is equally needed.

The building has smaller floorplates and Dowell specializes in the small office users, so I think there will be plenty of demand and appeal.

I'm sure the building will quickly fill up, especially with available and connected parking.

HangryHippo Guest

Is the original exterior still intact beneath the cladding that currently covers it?
    Last edited by HangryHippo; 04-30-2015 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Succinctness

I hate that they're not removing the cladding. Such a beautiful building is hiding beneath. I guess putting cladding over buildings was the thing to do in the '60s and '70s.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I hate that they're not removing the cladding. Such a beautiful building is hiding beneath. I guess putting cladding over buildings was the thing to do in the '60s and '70s.
    I asked Steve L. one time about all the crappy cladding done by Kerr McGee and I think he said the guy making those decisions was from Soviet Russia.

With an underground walkway from parking garage to building lobby I wouldn't expect a large increase in street-life.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I asked Steve L. one time about all the crappy cladding done by Kerr McGee and I think he said the guy making those decisions was from Soviet Russia.

With an underground walkway from parking garage to building lobby I wouldn't expect a large increase in street-life.
    Any retail component being included with the street level would help improve street life. And while the connection to the parking lot isn't ideal...you do realize that a large portion of downtown workers only use the underground during bad weather or extreme heat/cold, right? During mornings, lunches and after work, there are a large amount of people walking at street level most days. Based on what I've seen, the main obstacles to improved street life in the CBD (or at least this part of it) are the abandoned Dowell Center, an underutilized retail level at Park Ave., a mostly empty First National, and a lack of highrise (or any other type) of residential in the middle of the CBD. Few live in the CBD and outside of Kitchen 324 there aren't many reasons to walk to this part of the CBD outside of business hours. Make First National a hotel/housing development, open the retail in First National to the Street, fill up Dowell and add retail to the first floor, and I think we will be well on the way to a major improvement.
    Additionally, I hope whoever takes over OGE looks hard at adding retail to the ground floor and going residential.

Good quality Class B space is equally needed.

The building has smaller floorplates and Dowell specializes in the small office users, so I think there will be plenty of demand and appeal.

I'm sure the building will quickly fill up, especially with available and connected parking.
    Did he mention doing any type of retail or restaurant space on the first floor?

I wonder if there is anything inside worth salvaging.

Thread Information