Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oklahoma City the 11th most diversified economy 2015

1. Default Re: Oklahoma City the 11th most diversified economy 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    LOL, 8 of the top ten on the cited diversity list are California burgs.
    Details details.

I think the best test of this study on how diversified the economy is would be to 1) Have oil tank to $20 or 2) Have the fed cut defense spending and move work out of Oklahoma to other bases.

Default Re: Oklahoma City the 11th most diversified economy 2015

I wonder if part of the reason OKC counts as so diversified is because of its large land area. You could have farmers and a lot of industry that wouldn't be inside a normal city that would be within OKC city limits.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    Details details.

I think the best test of this study on how diversified the economy is would be to 1) Have oil tank to $20 or 2) Have the fed cut defense spending and move work out of Oklahoma to other bases.

When the major reorgs have been done due to spending cuts, usually it ends up being a gain for Oklahoma bases. IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by hoyasooner View Post
    I wonder if part of the reason OKC counts as so diversified is because of its large land area. You could have farmers and a lot of industry that wouldn't be inside a normal city that would be within OKC city limits.
    I doubt farming accounts for enough jobs within the city limits to make that much of an impact. I could be wrong though.

Transportation For America ? State Farm is moving to concentrate thousands of employees in locations near transit

State Farm just announced they will be consolidating operations based on access to rail mass transit.

Blog Entries

Details details.

Or have the communications industry tank in Dallas (put a severe damper on them for 5 years), or the the aerospace industry in LA (all moved out - was bad, bad, bad there), or have the tech industry tank (bad, bad for Austin), or....

If you have any MAJOR industry in any city tank, or as you suggest two of them at the same time, then they will be severely hurt too. That wouldn't be unique to OKC. Just because you are diversified doesn't mean you don't have some dominant industries.

So, we can all project things that would be bad. Why does everyone on here have to try so hard to disprove everything posted that is positive, yet accepts all the bad news so readily? Maybe this is part of the MASSIVE chip on the shoulders that Okies have had since the dust bowl days. Thankfully, businessmen in OKC don't share the pessimism the same way. We are realistic as to the effect of the oil industry here, but are also thankful for manufacturing, government, aerospace, agriculture, biomedical, and other industries that are so important to our economy as well.

Details details.

The defense spending in Oklahoma is here mostly because its cheaper to do it here than in other places or it's logistically logical and therefore cheaper.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    The defense spending in Oklahoma is here mostly because its cheaper to do it here than in other places or it's logistically logical and therefore cheaper.
    I sure it couldn't have anything to do with its central and most interior US location.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Just because you are diversified doesn't mean you don't have some dominant industries.
    Umm, that is exactly what it means, which is why the results presented were so laughable.

Blog Entries

You can have any number of large and important industries and still be diversified. Having multiple large and important industries spurs further diversification. Most major cities have major industries which affect them when they aren't performing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    You can have any number of large and important industries and still be diversified. Having multiple large and important industries spurs further diversification. Most major cities have major industries which affect them when they aren't performing well.
    Well aparently ALL of them do because they all ranked lower than OKC, although for the life of me I can't think what the dominant industry is in Atlanta (#269).

12. Default Re: Oklahoma City the 11th most diversified economy 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Well aparently ALL of them do because they all ranked lower than OKC, although for the life of me I can't think what the dominant industry is in Atlanta (#269).
    What? There isn't more to Atlanta than Delta and Coke?

13. Default Re: Oklahoma City the 11th most diversified economy 2015

...housewives..?

14. Default Re: Oklahoma City the 11th most diversified economy 2015

...Lil Jon..?

Ti

Thread Information