Widgets Magazine

Thread: Convention Center

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    I will try to put some more thoughts together later. I recorded the meeting. There was more discussion had by the subcommittee members than was eluded to. Also, it was pleasant to see Aubrey Hammontree (Planning Director) address the committee about the proposed location options.

Right now... After this... and discussions afterward... My guess is either east or west of the park due to land costs.

I made a public statement and asked that the $30 million be placed back into contingency until the full costs to the streetcar were assessed due to the potential delay and potential route changes. They need to assume they have $250 million to work with... Not $280.
    Is there any chance the streetcar and maintenance facility could go down Robinson instead of Hudson? Maybe some contingency could be used to cover that difference and maybe even have the maintenance facility just south of I-40 if that's the nearest open site going south down Robinson...

If (this obviously won't happen) they would do something similar to my programmatic site plan, you would have a great mixed-use/CC complex across from the park's "active edge" scheme along Robinson, which would bookend the streetcar extension with active uses. This potential level of density is obviously much earlier than we previously expected with a C2S extension...but only if they can get some mixed-use development to also occupy that massive C2S South site and break up the superblock beside the park.

Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Is there any chance the streetcar and maintenance facility could go down Robinson instead of Hudson? Maybe some contingency could be used to cover that difference and maybe even have the maintenance facility just south of I-40 if that's the nearest open site going south down Robinson...

If (this obviously won't happen) they would do something similar to my programmatic site plan, you would have a great mixed-use/CC complex across from the park's "active edge" scheme along Robinson, which would bookend the streetcar extension with active uses. This potential level of density is obviously much earlier than we previously expected with a C2S extension...but only if they can get some mixed-use development to also occupy that massive C2S South site and break up the superblock beside the park.
    Yes

Thread Information