Widgets Magazine

Thread: I-35 / I-240 Exchange

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Re: I-240/I-35 interchange rebuild?

Why are there cloverleaf ramps still? Probably due to space restriction judging on which ones keep them.240 EB to 35 NB doesn't seem to have enough room anywhere for a flyover ramp. 240 WB to 35 SB roughly the same issue, but could probably but in a very high flyover to make it work. However, I think the cloverleaf ramps still make some sense there.

The big improvements here though are removing the big conflict points - No on ramp from Shields to 240 EB, off ramp from 240 WB to Shields starts before entering traffic from 25, and 240 WB to 35 NB loop no longer has to yield to 35 NB to 240 WB traffic which causes back ups. It may not be the most flashy, but it'll probably work out pretty well.

Default Re: I-240/I-35 interchange rebuild?

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    Why are there cloverleaf ramps still? Probably due to space restriction judging on which ones keep them.240 EB to 35 NB doesn't seem to have enough room anywhere for a flyover ramp. 240 WB to 35 SB roughly the same issue, but could probably but in a very high flyover to make it work. However, I think the cloverleaf ramps still make some sense there.

The big improvements here though are removing the big conflict points - No on ramp from Shields to 240 EB, off ramp from 240 WB to Shields starts before entering traffic from 25, and 240 WB to 35 NB loop no longer has to yield to 35 NB to 240 WB traffic which causes back ups. It may not be the most flashy, but it'll probably work out pretty well.
    Justify it all you want, but that's a load of malarkey.

If engineering like this

and this

are possible...

the surely something like this is possible

in a better world, with more funding, Shields would have a couple of dedicated ramps as well

But before anyone's head explode, remember, I'm pushing the first one more than anything.

and before anyone starts saying Dallas goes crazy with every interchange they don't because the new 635 and North Dallas Tollway is going to be 100% cloverleafs

Future 635/North Dallas Tollway interchange

Only reason I post that is to make sure I understand not EVERY interchange has to be a high-five, but stack interchanges are better, cooler looking, but most of all, they improved traffic flow and don't require people to come to a crawl like cloverleafs do. Cloverleafs suck. They are an outdated form of highway design and should not be on any major interchange. Completely ridiculous.

This interchange sucks and will be needing to be replaced or majorly reconfigured in 10 years when people wonder what on earth we were doing designing a crap interchange like this. It isn't even going to be a stack at all. Some service roads are even going to be diverted through a f#cking parking lot. This has to be one of the biggest jokes of a proposal for a major interchange I've seen to date.

Also, service roads can also go through cloverleafs. Whoever said that is the primarily reason for stack interchanges is wrong. There is no space restriction, although I'm sure the engineers for ODOT might say that to mislead people. They cheaped out; plain and simple. If ODOT could take out loans, maybe they'd actually design these things right, but as it is now, they can't. So I'm honestly not going to entirely blame ODOT, but we're going to get a crap, half-ass, no. . . quarter-ass interchange that will take 8 years and will be congested and outdated the day it is complete. Good job guys! Can't wait for this piece of crap to be built.

Thread Information