Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Professional Business Park Development (15th & Douglas)

1. Default Re: Professional Business Park Development (15th & Douglas)

Well im sure they're going to make the so called "professional" space less strip-mall like.....not.

2. Default Re: Professional Business Park Development (15th & Douglas)

There is at least finally some construction activity going on with the development. Soon enough we'll see what sort of strip mall they build. Countdown to nail salon.....

3. Default Re: Professional Business Park Development (15th & Douglas)

Liquor store, Nail Salon, Check Cashing and Loans, Cricket... you know.. the usuals.

Default Re: Professional Business Park Development (15th & Douglas)

I know that two of the first two buildings are both medical buildings, one being an office for a Ear, Nose & Throat and the other being another Dr group (not sure of specialty, if any)

Quote Originally Posted by mmonroe View Post
    Liquor store, Nail Salon, Check Cashing and Loans, Cricket... you know.. the usuals.
    Hey it is MWC

6. Default Re: Professional Business Park Development (15th & Douglas)

I honestly feel like you can judge the quality of a community by the types of "well known brand names" that choose to place a brick and mortar location at and the direct correlation to the areas medium income levels.

7. Default Re: Professional Business Park Development (15th & Douglas)

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I know that two of the first two buildings are both medical buildings, one being an office for a Ear, Nose & Throat and the other being another Dr group (not sure of specialty, if any)
    Why are we popping up with so many medical places.. i'd prefer (this is what we call an opinion) to keep them all in the same area. i.e. Reno and Midwest Blvd.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Hey it is MWC
    Unfortunately that is the view most people have of Midwest City.

8. Default Re: Professional Business Park Development (15th & Douglas)

Even if they move to a different area, it would be nice to put them together....like that huge plot of land at 15th and Sooner.

Anyone else notice the Garpette Soda grade has been torn down? I wonder if the bank that bought Sooner Rose owned that land too?

[QUOTE=mmonroe;823271]Why are we popping up with so many medical places.. i'd prefer (this is what we call an opinion) to keep them all in the same area. i.e. Reno and Midwest Blvd.

Its a free market economy. You can't make a business stay in an area.

This is the market right now for developers. Many doctors and the medical groups want their own buildings that they own. They don't want to be stuck in a medical plaza/tower and paying rent.

This type of development allows them to purchase a building lot and build their own building. Most don't seem to be interested in being over in that part of MWC anymore. Not sure of any good reason to be over in that area of town any longer.

10. Default Re: Professional Business Park Development (15th & Douglas)

Thats why it's called an opinion.

11. Default Re: Professional Business Park Development (15th & Douglas)

Drake - and that's MWC ended up with countless crappy house-office structures. And the city was short-sighted in allowing permits to be granted for them. 30 years from now, we'll have vacant structures that can't be re-developed into a new layout because their stick structures. Once one of these is a dentist office, it's a dentist office forever...in the same layout...forever. EXTREME pet peeve of mine.

The ROI on one of these doesn't make sense either. It's not like owning a home where you're going to be there 20-30 years and things will pay for themselves. That rarely happens in a business and when it does, there has been so much capital sacrificed that the structure tends to not get updated with time. Check out the McBride Optometry office on Parklawn as a great example....still dated to the 60s inside and out. Leasing space frees the business from the hassle of maintenance, which is HUGE. Of course someone like a dentist doesn't care because it's not like he's going to be actually doing anything, he'll push it on his staff to handle.

And to show im not hypocritical on this, I had been seeing Dr. Kendrick for my dentist after insurance changes at my office forced me out of my preferred dentist's practice, which i had been going to for 10 years. In the last year, he built one of these very structures on Post. He already overcharged in my opinion because i always had a bill left-over from a visit after insurance. He's the only dentist that I've EVER had a bill like that from for regular cleaning work. And guess what, after the move, his prices went up again. I wonder why? Could it be that he has a new mortgage to pay and loans for all the equipment he bought for the new place (cause we can't be reusing anything now). Plus, since i've only seen him in person a total of 10 minutes in 3 years, what's the point? He wasn't even at the office most times i came in! I voiced all of these concerns when i told them that i wouldn't be back. I doubt it made any difference, but it just points out how these things DO affect the customers/patients.

My previous dentist made a similar move from MD Tower to Post (Utech) several years ago. He did NOT pass the cost difference on to the patients though. He outgrew the space at MD Tower, which was quickly taken by another tenant. I wasn't terribly excited about them vacating the space to a "house" either, but at least they did right by the patients.

In terms of spaces like MD Tower, the economy of scale in the development means it can actually be cheaper per sq ft to be in a consolidated space. Parking/HVAC/etc are all more efficiently used as well. Heaven forbid you get out of your car and walk to the office on the 3rd floor though instead of walking 10 feet to the door in the "house". But that's another pet peeve of mine on the laziness of people these days.

12. Default Re: Professional Business Park Development (15th & Douglas)

Looks like they've MAJORLY changed their design. Not only did they toss the strip mall design....and you will never tell me that isn't what it was...and have instead put in a rather large "house" structure. I'm not excited about seeing a house structure, but it's large enough that i'll take it over yet another strip mall.

The whole thing is still a missed opportunity IMHO, but I'm not the one putting my cash into it.

These are individual lots for sale for development. Other than certain parametners to be followed, the owners of teh lots are free to build any style of building they want.

The other lot being developed is a completely different style than the one currently under construction

14. Default Re: Professional Business Park Development (15th & Douglas)

So their supposed masterplan was a complete waste of time then huh? Why am I not surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    So their supposed masterplan was a complete waste of time then huh? Why am I not surprised.
    Good lord. I tried to steer this back just to general information from what I know about the project and ignore and stay above the snarky remarks.

The worst part is made you have wrong assumption after wrong assumption about this project. For some reason this project really seems to piss you off.

What master plan have you reviewed? What I read in article that the developer was developing the property for individual lots to be marketed and sold to professional services.

A conceptual drawing of a building is not a master plan. I would assume the master plan is what was stated in the original article and what appears to be happening

16. Default Re: Professional Business Park Development (15th & Douglas)

For some reason the forum is doing weird crap with comments today...going italic or just loading weird, so if this looks funny,....not my fault.

It gets on my nerves because I get so frustrated with the city approving crap designs like this over and over and over. I'm 100% "house" structures because of the million reasons I've listed here. They're just horrible. I'm tired of seeing strip mall after strip mall (and crap developers creating one and trying to call it something it isn't). Middle Point is a great example.....it's a freaking strip mall that happens to have more professional tenants TODAY. My nail shop test does a pretty good job of sniffing out that kind of crap.

What I want is a GOOD development to come along and put in something that's not crap. You want a professional building? Awesome. Get out there and build a new M.D. Tower or an Arvest Bank tower (del city). I'm continually pissed that the hospital continued down this same pattern and never developed the old Target into the consolidated professional space it was supposed to be and that they never built their 6 floor professional building on campus. Because it would have meant a bunch of crap like Bowling Green would never have been added on to like it was and several of these "house" things wouldn't have been built and we could have seen other things be built instead.

This one frustrates me so much because of the way they tried to present it, knowing full well that it wasn't going to be that. And it's a prime example of the kind of utter crap that's being allowed blanket approval just for the sake of things being built.

Thread Information