Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A little open carry humor

Default Re: A little open carry humor

Geeze, I'm as pro-gun as it gets, but if someone is pointing a gun at me, I'm giving them my gun. Especially if it's a gun I just purchased, and I haven't spent any time at the range with it. Good gun ownership is smart gun ownership. Gun protection is about protecting your life, not your property.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Geeze, I'm as pro-gun as it gets, but if someone is pointing a gun at me, I'm giving them my gun. Especially if it's a gun I just purchased, and I haven't spent any time at the range with it. Good gun ownership is smart gun ownership. Gun protection is about protecting your life, not your property.
    ah, so when someone breaks into your house, just give them whatever they want if they don't have a gun because they can't hurt you and you should only protect your life.

Yeah, I wouldn't kill an unarmed person over property. There's nothing in my house besides my wife and kids that is worth more than a human life. I'm not going to just let them take what they want - I'll call the police, or protect myself as necessary. But if someone has the gun pointing at me first, then I'll cooperate.

I guess we can't all be super action heroes.

Well, I wouldn't kill an unarmed person of that either, I'm just saying, weapons protect more than your life.

Also, how do you know the guy who is robbing you won't kill you after he takes your gun?

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    One of the main reasons I don't open carry is because you lose that factor of doubt in the mind of a criminal as to whether or not you are armed.

And believe me, if someone's got the drop on you, with their weapon ready to fire at that close of range, you have zero chance of pulling your gun out before they pull the trigger. That whole business of fooling them into believing you were going to give it to them and shooting them is nonsense and totally unrealistic. At best, you'll hit them in the leg with a lucky shot, then BOOM ..you're dead over a lousy .22 and a fatally inflated sense of competence with a newly-purchased gun.
    Apparently you aren't old enough to of seen the Oklahoma Highway Patrol's Lt. Dan Combs and the fast draw "highway safety" shows he used to put on all around the state. I saw him at schools, Boy Scouts, you name it. One of the things he would do is give you a gun( with blanks ) and tell you to fire when you saw him go for his gun. I never saw him lose. He was an amazing guy and a working highway patrolman. He's long since passed away. A part of Oklahoma history.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Well, I wouldn't kill an unarmed person of that either, I'm just saying, weapons protect more than your life.

Also, how do you know the guy who is robbing you won't kill you after he takes your gun?
    You don't. But you increase the likelihood (significantly) that he will shoot you if you try to draw on him. If someone has a gun on me and wants my phone, my wallet, my watch, or whatever, I'll hand it over (as pretty much every single law enforcement professional, self defense expert, and safety trainer will advise). I'd prefer to see my kids graduate high school someday.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    One of the main reasons I don't open carry is because you lose that factor of doubt in the mind of a criminal as to whether or not you are armed.
    Not only that, but I'm not a fan of advertising that I have something worth $500-2000 on me. You might as well be waving around a stack of cash.

Conceal carry adds a little what if to the situation. Open carry is for LEO's.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't kill an unarmed person over property. There's nothing in my house besides my wife and kids that is worth more than a human life. I'm not going to just let them take what they want - I'll call the police, or protect myself as necessary. But if someone has the gun pointing at me first, then I'll cooperate.

I guess we can't all be super action heroes.
    Panda -Some actual great post in this thread and this is one. In my years on this earth I've learned a few things. I'm about as salty as they get and I been in enough situations to have my bearings, but people who have never faced death have a virgin like quality where they think that they can suddenly become Rambo because they purchased a weapon.

It's very easy to forget that troops and cops train constantly with unlimited ammo and training tools and they still have a miserable hit rate. Out of active duty we also fall under a whole different set of rules, don't let a few high profile cases fool you as to your actual rights.

I still would never fire on someone unless they entered my house at night or physically attacking me infront of numerous people.

There is more Grey area that will screw up your entire life than the media would have you believe.

If it was me I would have stuck my finger in his gun barrel and then when he shot the gun would have exploded in his face. Then we'd all have a good laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by stew
    If it was me I would have stuck my finger in his gun barrel and then when he shot the gun would have exploded in his face. Then we'd all have a good laugh.
    is that before or after you share some mentos? -M

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatesooner View Post
    he bought a .22, he probably couldn't get any ammo to go with it
    I would be too embarrassed to open carry a 22.

13. Default Re: A little open carry humor

Quote Originally Posted by jmpokc1957 View Post
    Apparently you aren't old enough to of seen the Oklahoma Highway Patrol's Lt. Dan Combs and the fast draw "highway safety" shows he used to put on all around the state. I saw him at schools, Boy Scouts, you name it. One of the things he would do is give you a gun( with blanks ) and tell you to fire when you saw him go for his gun. I never saw him lose. He was an amazing guy and a working highway patrolman. He's long since passed away. A part of Oklahoma history.
    I've seen the videos. Pretty cool stuff.

Guess I'm not the only one who saw some humor in this. On today's episode of the Freak n Fool File on Lonestar 96 radio they carried this story and had a good laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    Guess I'm not the only one who saw some humor in this. On today's episode of the Freak n Fool File on Lonestar 96 radio they carried this story and had a good laugh.
    I definitely thought it was hilariously ironic. That's why I'm personally all for concealed carry, but I think open carry isn't the wisest thing to do. I sure wouldn't advertise my piece while hanging out in Gresham at night. Everybody in Portland knows Gresham isn't the place to not get robbed.

Quote Originally Posted by White Peacock View Post
    I definitely thought it was hilariously ironic. That's why I'm personally all for concealed carry, but I think open carry isn't the wisest thing to do. I sure wouldn't advertise my piece while hanging out in Gresham at night. Everybody in Portland knows Gresham isn't the place to not get robbed.
    Open carry is nothing but showing off, and making sure you're the first one to get it.

Thread Information