Widgets Magazine

Thread: OKC Public Schools

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: OKC Public Schools

Love this quote:

“Portables are a short-term fix to a long-term solution Oklahoma City Public Schools has in place to address the overcrowding challenges we are currently facing,” said Rod McKinley, the district’s chief of operations.

I was in portable classrooms at Northeast in 1981-2, and now, 33 years later, yeah, nice short-term fix, lol.....

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Love this quote:

“Portables are a short-term fix to a long-term solution Oklahoma City Public Schools has in place to address the overcrowding challenges we are currently facing,” said Rod McKinley, the district’s chief of operations.

I was in portable classrooms at Northeast in 1981-2, and now, 33 years later, yeah, nice short-term fix, lol.....
    Yeah portables are almost never short term. We had them at Mustang when I went to school and only recently did they go away, only to be moved to some of the elementary schools. The silver lining though is they do look like a lot nicer portables than I had, and are probably nicer than some of the OKCPS current classrooms.

I am extremely unhappy about the Linwood portables (which are nothing more than two double-wide trailers...I watched them going in). The Maps for Kids project had provided this school with an addition which was very well done, tasteful and blended in with the historic elements of the original building. You had to really look at it to tell that it was an addition. It's only been a couple of years since that project was completed.

The portables are situated directly in front of the school, obscuring nearly half of the beautiful historic facade. It's a complete abomination. Additionally, the double-wides only have two small windows each, which face out on each other rather than the schoolyard or the street frontage. So the teachers and kids get to spend their class time with a view of another double-wide. Nice.

There is a large, flat, unused (i.e. no playground equipment and no students ever back there) yard BEHIND the new addition that looks like it would've been plenty big enough to house the portables. The only people who could see the portables from that area would've been people on the Grand/I-44 access road that runs along the yard. If they just had to put in portables, at least they could've tucked them into that area. Oh yeah, and the damned things are painted a bright off-white color, which makes for a god-awful contrast to the dark brickwork of the school buildings.

This whole thing is just a cluster-#$%& and it's an embarrassment to the neighborhood. And the sad part is that they'll never move them now.

Thread Information