Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
Penny, my opinion is likely worth what you are paying for it.

That noted, if the group using more asphalt is cheaper for the driveway area while using more product, it would make me wonder are they cutting corners in the base prep. If so, an extra half inch of asphalt just means a bigger, uglier mess when things turn south on a bad base.

That this group is also near double on the other project phase raises the question are they overcharging for that work to offset a deliberate dive on the driveway project, or is this phase perhaps well outside their comfort zone and thus carries an aggravation premium on their end, and perhaps a lesser result on your end.

I like bargains as much as the next person, provided the bargain is actually a bargain and not a headache in a bargain costume.
Oh, those are all good things to consider, Kevin - thanks. I had wondered if they were dropping the price of the driveway, proper, to get a foot in the door on the entire repair job (see above, this place also has a parking lot!) but you put into words what was nagging at my brain. The other operation does contract work for odot and picks up jobs like this on the side. I am leaning in their direction because this is more than just your average driveway and they are probably used to larger areas.