Widgets Magazine

Thread: Stillwater on List Where Wealth is Soaring

Default Stillwater on List Where Wealth is Soaring

Stillwater recognized for income growth » Local News » Stillwater NewsPress

9 cities where wealth is soaring

"Stillwater residents were among the nation's poorest during the three-year period starting in 2007, with a median income of just $27,707 per year. Over the next three years, however, median household income had increased by 17.5%, or $4,860 a year. The city's economy also likely will benefit from Belgian aerospace supplier ASCO's decision in 2012 to invest $100 million and move its Aerospace USA division headquarters to Stillwater. The move was expected to bring at least 600 new future jobs, and company officials hoped to benefit from the presence of Oklahoma State University, located in Stillwater. Like several other cities with the highest income growth, the unemployment rate in Stillwater has remained relatively low during the past five years, at just 4.2% as of December 2012."

2. Default Re: Stillwater on List Where Wealth is Soaring

I wouldn't say wealth is soaring lol...

Default Re: Stillwater on List Where Wealth is Soaring

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Why? Have you been there? Those seem like pretty healthy numbers to me. I've always wondered if Stillwater could become a mini Austin where it could connect its downtown directly with OSU and become a progressive city.

The just departed vice mayor says the income level would be higher if upper income people lived within the city limits. A number of them like their mansions tucked away in the woods on large lots. I wonder how much higher it would be if Coach Gundy lived in the city limits?

Vice-Mayor ends tenure on Stillwater City Council » Local News » Stillwater NewsPress

5. Default Re: Stillwater on List Where Wealth is Soaring

Definitely a good thing that Hopkins is moving on.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Why? Have you been there? Those seem like pretty healthy numbers to me. I've always wondered if Stillwater could become a mini Austin where it could connect its downtown directly with OSU and become a progressive city.
    Did you just ask if I've been there and then follow up with that post?

Definitely a good thing that Hopkins is moving on.

Did you just ask if I've been there and then follow up with that post?
    I was being sarcastic Spartan. How on earth you wouldn't think those were healthy numbers I have no clue. I believe I have read where you have specifically said you have been to Stillwater anyways.

The follow up wasn't really a follow. Wasn't asking you, just thinking out load. I should've put it into its own paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I was being sarcastic Spartan. How on earth you wouldn't think those were healthy numbers I have no clue. I believe I have read where you have specifically said you have been to Stillwater anyways.

The follow up wasn't really a follow. Wasn't asking you, just thinking out load. I should've put it into its own paragraph.
    Plupan, Spartan went to school at OSU so he has certainly been there.

Didn't know that, but I figured he had been there at one point or another.... It was sarcasm.

9. Default Re: Stillwater on List Where Wealth is Soaring

Just for some context, ASCO is great but ask yourselves why they aren't building a new facility. It's because MerCruiser left for Oshkosh with a thousand or so jobs before (bc the Stillwater plant was NOT unionized). These may be better jobs, but those were very good jobs, too.

There are several other large corporate operations in Stillwater that would surprise many of you. They aren't new. Downtown Stillwater is booming, but it's just coming out of the abysmal decline of the 90s and 00s. Stan Clark couldn't even make a go of it back then.

The income growth numbers are strong but there are larger trends at play. This isn't "wealth" accumulation, and it was the lazy use of that word in the article that I scoffed at. Many young professionals are staying in Stillwater which is diversifying the demography of the town. Students are statistically impoverished and indigent no matter what Greek house they belong to and what model BMW they drive.

There are several other large corporate operations in Stillwater that would surprise many of you. They aren't new. Downtown Stillwater is booming, but it's just coming out of the abysmal decline of the 90s and 00s. Stan Clark couldn't even make a go of it back then.

The income growth numbers are strong but there are larger trends at play. This isn't "wealth" accumulation, and it was the lazy use of that word in the article that I scoffed at. Many young professionals are staying in Stillwater which is diversifying the demography of the town. Students are statistically impoverished and indigent no matter what Greek house they belong to and what model BMW they drive.
    In later years, nobody else could make a lasting go at that 2nd floor restaurant, either. There was surely too much space to make a good profit. So somebody has decided to try turning the space into apartments.

Prospecting for more oil finds surrounding Stillwater has been successful and is helping the economy well. Hopefully, that and the rising income story will catch the attention of stores still not in Stillwater, such as Target, Home Depot, a better movie theater chain, as well as others big and small. I bet the developer wanting to put in a strip mall at the SW corner of Country Club Rd. and W. 6th is getting sick and tired of waiting for an anchor to commit.

11. Default Re: Stillwater on List Where Wealth is Soaring

I don't think the problem is one of Stillwater not being good enough for his strip mall...

There are several other large corporate operations in Stillwater that would surprise many of you. They aren't new.
    While not especially large, one example that might surprise some people is SST Software: History | SST Software

It's unfortunate that Stillwater doesn't attract more industry than it does with it's highly reliable water and electrical infrastructure along with a steady supply of OSU grads. It will surely help when it gets passenger airline service in place.

13. Default Re: Stillwater on List Where Wealth is Soaring

A passenger rail connection to OKC and Tulsa would be more beneficial.

Thread Information