Jim,
That would be the place. I believe it was called "Jack's" or something catchy(?) like that. I worked in that area (4401 N. Lincoln, 4545 N. Lincoln, and 4900 N. Santa Fe) for quite a few years so I was fairly familiar with the restaurants there. I sure don't remember the S. W. 29th and May location. I still enjoy the Nomad II pizza and have enjoyed their other items in the past. By the way, Tokyo Gardens was open from about April, 1969 till sometime after September, 1975.
C. T.
Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
Are you talking about the same place that Jack Sussman went to prison for setting on fire after he and Jake either had a falling out (public story) or had him, alone, take the fall for (reporter's suspicions)? If so, that's where my best man took me and my bride to dinner after our wedding in February, 1958 -- and embarassed both of us horribly by having Jack announce the event over the P.A. system!

After Sussy got out of prison, he returned to the restaurant business. I remember one of his (bearing his name) near the corner of SW 29 and May in the early 60s, and the last time I ever saw him he was holding court at Nomad, on N May a bit north of NW 70 or so. I always thought that Jake was still behind the scenes pulling his strings... And Prunie is totally correct about Jake's personality! However it fit perfectly for the man who ran the Jamboree and Derby clubs.