Widgets Magazine

Thread: Rose State College or Oklahoma City Community College

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Rose State College or Oklahoma City Community College

There's one other factor and that is the young person's personality. People who are gregarious probably aren't as affected as people who are shy or somewhat introverted, but there are some social reasons to go to the same school for four years. The first year in a dorm or fraternity, some kids make friendships that last a lifetime or certainly that persist for years. If you come into a four year school as a junior, people are now living in apartments or fraternities/sororities and it may be harder to find a friend group. If a student has lots of close high school friends there, it may not be an issue or if that person is very outgoing and a joiner of clubs it may not be an issue. But I think personality of the child needs to be part of the evaluation package.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    There's one other factor and that is the young person's personality. People who are gregarious probably aren't as affected as people who are shy or somewhat introverted, but there are some social reasons to go to the same school for four years. The first year in a dorm or fraternity, some kids make friendships that last a lifetime or certainly that persist for years. If you come into a four year school as a junior, people are now living in apartments or fraternities/sororities and it may be harder to find a friend group. If a student has lots of close high school friends there, it may not be an issue or if that person is very outgoing and a joiner of clubs it may not be an issue. But I think personality of the child needs to be part of the evaluation package.
    Excellent point in this message. I was one of those "somewhat introverted" kids, with the added disadvantages of having completed high school a year early due to completing grades 1 and 2 in a single year, thus always being the runt of the class and consequently bully bait, and in addition being an only child in a Civil Service family that moved from one city to the next every few years. The result was that I had little or nothing in the way of social skills when I entered OU.

My first experience was living in a freshman dorm, with a roommate who was quite outgoing and brash. We got on each other's nerves continually, and after one semester of the constant battle I moved back home to OKC and commuted for the rest of my freshman year.

However I missed all the non-scholastic activities, so for my second year I moved into an off-campus rooming house where I could have a private room yet be convenient to all the activity. I made a few friends that year, but none that lasted for any significant time. I did, however, become friends with my former roommate, given some distance between us, and he came to visit me in Korea on the afternoon of July 27, 1953, when the shooting stopped. Sadly, Lt. Joseph Sidney Nicholson, USArmy, died in a plane crash a few months later and came home in a body bag.

By my senior year, I had become a member of a four-person mini-clique of journalism students -- my steady girl friend and two other guys -- and we three guys rented an aparment a couple of blocks east of Owen Field, about where the Lloyd Noble Center now stands. Except for the young lady, with whom I finally broke up before heading for Korea, those friendships were life long. I'm now the only one of the four; for that matter there's only one other survivor of whom I'm aware from the J-school's Class of 1952: Dave Sellars, editor and publisher of the Capitol Hill Beacon. The other two were more successful than was I; Marcus D. Price became the mechanical superintendent of the largest newspaper in San Antonio, and Troy Kight edited one of the top farm and ranch publications until his passing.

Thanks very much, Betts, for bringing this factor into play. It's probably even MORE important than the usual questions about curriculum, degrees, and so on!

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I think I fall more under the shy and introverted personality type. That's one of the reason's I decided on community college.

Thread Information