Widgets Magazine

Thread: Campus Corner to Main Street Master Plan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Campus Corner to Main Street Master Plan

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    If someone was ever to build a college campus in/adjacent to downtown OKC it could put a dent in OU and OSU enrollment.
    I don't see that happening. Why would you spread already thin resources over an even larger area? Though OCU could move some other things downtown. The only urban university in Oklahoma is OSU-Tulsa and it has been a fight to get it expanded because of fear that it will eat too much into the enrollment in Stillwater (which it would).

I am hopeful a master plan can be developed for central Norman that promotes walkability and transit because the way that area is set up is perfect for it but needs a better plan so suburban interests don't compromise it.

Default Re: Campus Corner to Main Street Master Plan

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I don't see that happening. Why would you spread already thin resources over an even larger area? Though OCU could move some other things downtown. The only urban university in Oklahoma is OSU-Tulsa and it has been a fight to get it expanded because of fear that it will eat too much into the enrollment in Stillwater (which it would).

I am hopeful a master plan can be developed for central Norman that promotes walkability and transit because the way that area is set up is perfect for it but needs a better plan so suburban interests don't compromise it.
    You don't see what happening? I think your example of OSU-Tulsa is exactly what I was saying (although I wouldn't call it urban despite the location). I was thinking more along the lines of Georgia Tech, Georgia State, Univ of Wisconsin, Chico St (where I used to live), etc...

For OU to compete for students going forward they are going to have to create the type of environment future students are going to want to live and learn in. My son, who I mentioned in another thread doesn't have any interest in driving, is looking at Palm Beach Atlantic University in downtown West Palm Beach. Everything he could want is within walking distance of the campus, including a substantial business community, Tri-rail station, and soon an All-Aboard Florida rail system that will allow him to ride the train back home to Jacksonville.

Thread Information