Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
During the summer my highest electric bill is $180. It's closer to the $130 mark on average though. Single story house. I haven' looked at it from a month to month, but I can give some averages for different times of the year. From September to November I averaged 1.75 gallons a day. So realistically those months if I'm paying the $1.75 it's costing me about $90 a month. Now for December and January I'm averaging 5.7 gallons a day so for December again using the $1.65 that I currently have would put it around $292. So I guess a bit cheaper than I alluded to, but still you replace that $1.65 with the current $3.40 and for the past 2 months that's $600.

To me my insulation has a few low spots that could use some improvement. In some places I can see the beams, so I think that should be covered because that would only be about 6 inches of cover. I'm not a professional by any means, but the math and averages I've used to keep my budget going.
Electric bills aren't unreasonable for a 2007 2,100sqft house. Propane is 91,500BTU per gallon. Your builder most likely oversized the furnace and put in a 100,000BTU model. 4 gallons of propane equates to 4.36hrs of burner time per day, which is a reasonable amount of heat loss for your house.

The cost per gallon on the propane is what's killing you. A $3.40/gallon it would be cheaper to use plain electric resistance heaters!! $3.70 for 100K vs. $2.90 using resistance heat @ 10 cents per KWH. Heat Pump with a COP of 2.5 would be about $1.15 per 100,000BTU. With a heat pump you would most likely go over 600KWH in a month during the winter and the electricity goes to 6 cents per KWH. Heat pump then runs for 70 cents per 100,000BTU.