Widgets Magazine

Thread: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Okc boom?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I would say OKC is more comparable to Dallas than to Corpus.
    I was showing how moronic his logic is.

With that said, Dallas and Okc are in no way comparable. I'm no fan of Dallas in any regard but it's on an entirely different level than Oklahoma City in every aspect. If you tiered the Texas metros and pretended Texas boundaries magically moved north and encased OKC. DFW would be in Tier 1. San Antonio would be in the second tier and OKC would be in the third tier along with El Paso. Obviously Houston is TI with Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post

With that said, Dallas and Okc are in no way comparable. I'm no fan of Dallas in any regard but it's on an entirely different level than Oklahoma City in every aspect. If you tiered the Texas metros and pretended Texas boundaries magically moved north and encased OKC. DFW would be in Tier 1. San Antonio would be in the second tier and OKC would be in the third tier along with El Paso. Obviously Houston is TI with Dallas.
    I understand that, but with any large city in Texas is going to be much bigger than OKC or any city in Oklahoma. I suppose you could say Amarillo is comparable to OKC, but Amarillo sucks ass, at least in my book.

Dallas-scaled down-would resemble OKC closer than any other city in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I understand that, but with any large city in Texas is going to be much bigger than OKC or any city in Oklahoma. I suppose you could say Amarillo is comparable to OKC, but Amarillo sucks ass, at least in my book.

Dallas-scaled down-would resemble OKC closer than any other city in Texas.
    Scaled down, it's still not comparable. Just the sheer number of corporations HQ'd there or with a large presence there. The number of F500's HQ'd there. The size of their airport, the amount of people who move there every year, their diverse economy, their skyline, their multiple skylines, the number of pro sports teams, the mass transit, the income, the upscale shopping, the freeway system, etc.

I guess you mean maybe if you called OKC a poor man's Dallas, then maybe, but that man has to be very poor.

Again, I'm not trying to just insult OKC or put it down. Believe me, I want to gag at how positive I'm being towards Dallas. I literally hate the place. But there's no comparison, even on a scaled down level.

That's like Atlanta saying if you scaled down New York City, you'd get Atlanta.

I agree with this. El Paso is probably the Texas city most comparable to OKC. It's not demographically or culturally, but in terms of general size and economic clout. El Paso and OKC have both been somewhat left out of the boom that the core Texas cities have experienced. I personally think El Paso is a very underrated town. I really wish OKC would adopt the landscaping standards many areas of El Paso have. That city goes to show you don't have to have lush greenery and 100 ft pine trees to make a place look decent.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I agree with this. El Paso is probably the Texas city most comparable to OKC. It's not demographically or culturally, but in terms of general size and economic clout. El Paso and OKC have both been somewhat left out of the boom that the core Texas cities have experienced. I personally think El Paso is a very underrated town. I really wish OKC would adopt the landscaping standards many areas of El Paso have. That city goes to show you don't have to have lush greenery and 100 ft pine trees to make a place look decent.
    While it is somewhat close population wise, El Paso has less than half the GDP of OKC, at the rate ours has grown the last few years it will be closer to a third this year or next. Out of Texas cities, we are probably closer to San Antonio than El Paso.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    While it is somewhat close population wise, El Paso has less than half the GDP of OKC, at the rate ours has grown the last few years it will be closer to a third this year or next. Out of Texas cities, we are probably closer to San Antonio than El Paso.

The GDP of OKC, as of 2012, was 63 billion and grows by 2-3 billion annually.

The GDP of El Paso, as of 2012, was 29 billion and grows by 1-2 billion annually.

You are correct on El Paso's GDP being half of OKC's, however, in order for it to be 1/3 the GDP, OKC's GDP would have to jump to 90 billion or so. I doubt that would have happened in 2013.

You are correct on El Paso's GDP being half of OKC's, however, in order for it to be 1/3 the GDP, OKC's GDP would have to jump to 90 billion or so. I doubt that would have happened in 2013.
    I may have seen an old number, the one I had seen was around 24

I may have seen an old number, the one I had seen was around 24
    Yeah, that's an old number.

These are the 2012 numbers.

OKC is roughly at the half way point between El Paso and San Antonio using the metric of GDP. Tulsa is closer in population to El Paso and their GDP is 37 billion, so I would say Tulsa and El Paso may be more comparable than OKC and El Paso. I was noticing San Antonio seems to underperform in GDP compared to cities its size. It's below Austin and significantly below Kansas City and Charlotte.

Thread Information