New Update on this!

Edmond to apply for roadway fund
James Coburn
The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — The City of Edmond is preparing to submit a grant application to the state for the portion Covell Parkway extending from Interstate 35 interchange to Fairfax Drive. City staff will be meeting with state officials to discuss how Edmond fits into the pecking order allotted for funds, Commons said.

There might be a need for the city to increase its local share of capital commitment by $1 million to $2 million to keep the project moving forward, he said before the city council this week. An expensive project in Norman already rates favorably to get state money, Commons said.

Increasing roadway infrastructure needs are not going to go away on that portion of Covell, Commons said. A new McDonald’s restaurant is proposed for the southwest corner of I-35 and Covell. Also, Councilwoman Victoria Caldwell noted that a public new high school will be constructed in six years on an 80-acre site located on the southeast corner of Air Depot and Covell.

“Some of these major road projects may become such that we have to fund a road entirely on our own,” Stevens said. “We were willing to do that at Kelly and Covell. The only reason we didn’t have to is our engineering folks were able to get us back in the mix and we ended up with $7 million from the state.”

Rendering for the conference center.
- See more at: Edmond to apply for roadway fund » Local News » The Edmond Sun
I am really liking this. All the designs are great. The rendering for the conference center is better than I thought it would be. It also nice to see Edmond recognizes six lane roads are the best answer for artery and access roads; just like Classen, Shields, Lincoln, and Northwest Expressway. This will be really nice when said and done. Can't wait! I just hope we get some really cool unexpected announcements like an enclosed upscale mall or a lifestyle center here.