Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Uber coming to OKC

Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

The reason why Uber (and other similar services) face opposition in every market they enter is because they are establishment, city/state regulatory agencies along with the taxes/license fees that generates and entrenched taxi companies who wish to limit competition. Any challenges to the tax structures of government or the taxi companies business models will always be fought by those with a vested interest in maintaining the status quo.

Airports also make a bunch of money off taxi fees.

A friend had to take a taxi between terminals at LAX last week to catch a connection, and even though it was only about 1/2 mile trip the charge was $30.

I'm sure most of that is a minimum pick-up charge that goes straight back to the airport.

It's all just a big racket with too many powerful entities benefiting while adding virtually no value.

And I'm glad these companies have come along to not only provide a better service/value paradigm, but also to shine light on an industry that should have changed a long time ago.

Yep, any challenge to the existing structure gets them using any means necessary to stop it. I see a ton of black cars operating out of DIA (since I have been out there often this week).

From the DIA Taxi page:
    Taxis are readily available and provide service to the Denver metro area and surrounding counties. Some companies may also provide service to other destinations within the state of Colorado. Check with your cab company of choice (or with your driver at the airport) for more information on fares and destinations served.

Flat Rate Charges
    The following popular destinations have flat-rate charges (one-way fare, airport access fee already included):

Boulder: $88.15
    Downtown Denver: $55.15
    Denver Tech Center: $61.15
    Broomfield and Louisville Area: $70.15 (Yellow Cab only)

Metered Taxi Rates
    Fares to all other metro area destinations are based on the taxi’s meter. For example, a one-way taxi ride from the airport to Cherry Creek Shopping Center (near downtown Denver) typically costs $62.00 to $65.00, plus a $4.15 airport access fee for each metered taxi trip.
    We took a taxi from JFK to our hotel on the Upper West Side in NYC, it was nasty. When we had the hotel get us a car to go back to JFK it was a Lexus RX400h and was around the same price as the taxi and much better experience.

4. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Haven't quite had Sid's experience on Flywheel, but I did have a driver grumble that he didn't see much money from it. The Über drivers, on the other hand, wouldn't even let me tip (the app apparently didn't have a mechanism for this...was it an introductory thing?). The hailing and payment experience is very similar to Über. But no question, Über was way cheaper.

Faced with a long layover at ORD, we decided to have dinner at a nearby steak house a few miles from the airport. After giving that address to the taxi driver, he immediately turned around and drove us back to the airport. Why? Because he had waited in a long line for passengers, and was insistent upon a longer drive and higher fare.

Literally turned around and drove us back. I don't think we even left the airport property.

Quote Originally Posted by tomokc View Post
    Faced with a long layover at ORD, we decided to have dinner at a nearby steak house a few miles from the airport. After giving that address to the taxi driver, he immediately turned around and drove us back to the airport. Why? Because he had waited in a long line for passengers, and was insistent upon a longer drive and higher fare.

Literally turned around and drove us back. I don't think we even left the airport property.
    Entitlement...it's ingrained in some places

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Another thing about safety...

Uber requires all cars be of a model year 2000 and newer. And of course, they have to review photos of the condition of the vehicle before approving.

We all know safety in cars has improved by light years in just the last decade. Virtually any newer car has crumple zones, crash-tested bumpers, anti-lock brakes, good restraint systems, and a bunch of airbags. Not to mention, they are massively more reliable, stop and handle better.

Seems like every cab I get into is crazy old, that squeaks and creaks and handles like a waterbed. And the drivers usually seem a least a little crazed.

Sorry, I almost never feel safe in a cab. I just strap in and hang on for dear life.

Time to burn down the old system and let the new, much improved model act freely in the marketplace.
    They don't just review "photos" of the vehicle, they personally inspect the vehicles. I'm friends with the rep from Uber corporate that is in town that got everything up and running. I see her meeting with drivers daily, interviewing them, lining up their background checks, iPhones, training, etc. It's a pretty hands on process.

One heckuva promo running in OKC through the end of the year. I may just take the plunge and take Uber to the airport this morning - we'll see how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    They don't just review "photos" of the vehicle, they personally inspect the vehicles. I'm friends with the rep from Uber corporate that is in town that got everything up and running. I see her meeting with drivers daily, interviewing them, lining up their background checks, iPhones, training, etc. It's a pretty hands on process.
    I'm a registered Uber driver in Los Angeles and they do it differently here and other markets.

No one every met with me or called me but there was an extensive on-line sign-up process, with car photos, background check, verification of registration and insurance, etc.

Ruh roh - any teeth to this? I loved my first Uber experience yesterday. This would royally suck. Uber's doing quite well too, at least from what my driver said. He's routinely out until 3-4 AM on weekend nights and makes several hundred. This is obviously a service OKCers have needed for awhile and are going to use only more and more.

If Uber is "ridesharing," there could be trouble | News OK

Uber faces this in every single market they are in and have been continuously operating in many cities for years.

Why does the local press act like these issues are completely unique to Oklahoma??

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Uber faces this in every single market they are in and have been continuously operating in many cities for years.

Why does the local press act like these issues are completely unique to Oklahoma??
    Good point - correct me if I'm wrong - but it seems OKC is sometimes more resistant to innovation than progress than say someplace like San Francisco, where they literally rewrote the laws to accomodate Uber. The political lobby is far too powerful here and I fear someone would actually shut Uber down to protect their own interests - as opposed to other places where they realize hey this is what the people want, no one's getting harmed, so let 'em have it (I say let us have 6 point beer but hey!).

Believe me, there has been strong and organized opposition here in Southern California and yet they are thriving.

It frustrates me the local press is continually putting these articles out without providing a broader context. It gives everyone the impression this is a totally new idea and the issues in Oklahoma are somehow unique, and thus Uber won't work in OKC.

While the Oklahoman continues to attack Uber, Reuters describes why cabbies should love their introduction, and operators (medallion owners) should fear it: Why cab drivers should love Uber | Felix Salmon

Excerpt: Essentially, every time you take a cab, your money gets split roughly evenly between the driver and the medallion owner. Which means that when a company like Uber comes along, it can offer lower fares to riders and substantially higher income to drivers — a win for everybody except the medallion owners.

The key datapoint came in October, when Uber said in a blog post that when it lowered fares for its UberX product, its drivers’ income actually went up rather than down: in Boston, it rose by 22% per hour, which is a lot of money. The result has been that UberX is now priced near or below prevailing taxi rates in most cities: in Washington DC, for instance, UberX costs 18% less than a taxi. And the drivers of those cars are making significantly more money than they would make if they were driving a cab.

We’ve already reached the point, then, at which it makes sense for almost any taxi driver who doesn’t own his own medallion to give up the rickety old yellow cab, with all of its onerous regulations, and just drive an UberX instead. I’m sure that many have already done so, and that more will follow suit over the course of 2014. And while for the time being there’s probably a big enough pool of cab drivers that new ones can be found to replace the people who have started driving for Uber instead, eventually the medallion owners are going to have to start cutting their drivers a sweeter deal, to prevent them from defecting to the competition.

Good to hear. Other cities are sadly having some success, at least against UberX. Will be in Philly this weekend (weather permitting) and I found that there's no UberX there. Would've gladly used Uber for an airport ride, but my options there are limited to Black or SUV which are rather pricey.

I know in Dallas they have been battling it out. Anyone know the statue of it there?

And in red state Oklahoma you'd think a free market thing such as Uber would be a hit here. Its all about consumer choice and less burdensome and expensive regulations. It should be right up our leaders alley

Here in L.A., they are threatening to arrest drivers and impound cars... Yet, Uber and Lyft are thriving and growing rapidly.

When it comes right down to it, it's just about posturing and weak attempts at protectionism.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    I know in Dallas they have been battling it out. Anyone know the statue of it there?

And in red state Oklahoma you'd think a free market thing such as Uber would be a hit here. Its all about consumer choice and less burdensome and expensive regulations. It should be right up our leaders alley
    Don't drag this topic into the politics cesspool. If there's someone fighting it, it's the "medallion" owners who must be paying someone to fight it. Ignore the "D" or "R" appellation and follow the money. When business gets involved in politics and law-making, they don't give a rats ass about the "D" or "R", but whether or not they can influence them. When the "D" or "R" start being influenced, they may as well have lost their ideological affiliation and gained a green-back affiliation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Don't drag this topic into the politics cesspool. If there's someone fighting it, it's the "medallion" owners who must be paying someone to fight it. Ignore the "D" or "R" appellation and follow the money. When business gets involved in politics and law-making, they don't give a rats ass about the "D" or "R", but whether or not they can influence them. When the "D" or "R" start being influenced, they may as well have lost their ideological affiliation and gained a green-back affiliation.
    He does have a point though - it is ironic how red states which tout small governments, lower taxes, etc, often expend an enormous amount of energy on legislating the bedroom. Interesting approach to "freedom". Obviously Uber isn't the bedroom but I see onthestrip's point - that red states still have protectionist leans to them, when it's convenient of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Burgess View Post
    Is that because of a success of the opposition though? They aren't in every city yet. Rolling out fast but not there yet.
    That I'm not sure about - saw some random internet posts about it being due to opposition but I don't know for a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post

I'll underscore what Pete said, that this is about protecting the status quo and those who benefit from it. I am ashamed at the quality of OKC's taxis and drivers, and competition will make it better, if allowed. But that's a big if.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    He does have a point though - it is ironic how red states which tout small governments, lower taxes, etc, often expend an enormous amount of energy on legislating the bedroom. Interesting approach to "freedom". Obviously Uber isn't the bedroom but I see onthestrip's point - that red states still have protectionist leans to them, when it's convenient of course.

Do Uber drivers go between communities as well? Thinking of a few instances where this would be interesting to know.

There are days I won't take a bus into OKC because I would not be done before 9:20 but I would be done well before 3 and do not want to remain until then.
    If one can Uber back to Norman at a reasonable price, could still bus in and not need to bring a car.

Uber from Norman to OKC for a date night, and Uber back later in the eve.
    This permits me to avoid all driving issues related to having something beyond soda or tea at dinner , piano lounge, etc.

Lovely wants to fly out of WRWA to see the babies and I'm delayed getting back to town from BFE.
    Can't be having her miss a babies flight.

Lovely's return trip from babies, typically a late landing flight, is best for a day I need to already be on the road earlier that eve.

I'm sure there are other examples, but those are what ahve come to mind as I mull it over.

Blog Entries

I thought the current coverage area when you look at their map was just OKC (maybe it changed since I last looked), so will even let you punch in a pickup in Norman and a drop off in Edmond, for example?

Thread Information