Widgets Magazine

Thread: Devon Crosstex MLP (EnLink)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Devon Crosstex Mlp in Dallas

Oklahoma City commercial development is really slow. Dallas, Houston, and Austin have so much commercial development going on its ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by modernism View Post
    Oklahoma City commercial development is really slow. Dallas, Houston, and Austin have so much commercial development going on its ridiculous.
    Feels that way.

Well, hotel construction downtown is booming. And lots of residential complexes already in construction or on the horizon. So that part is going well.

But office buildings... yikes. Don't know why they aren't popping up like mushrooms right now. We do have the Stage Center tower that we may discover something about one of these days, I guess.
    Parkside building is being worked on, sort of. And then... what else? Yeesh.

This deal will allow for more drilling and that will mean more service companies and other things to happen. So, more drilling in Oklahoma means more service companies locating in OKC, Tulsa, Stillwater, and Enid.

The trickle down effect of this is great for OKC.... but not the immediate effect if they had joined with Enable or another MLP in OKC. That would have been a monster deal with a 60 story tower to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post
    Feels that way.

Well, hotel construction downtown is booming. And lots of residential complexes already in construction or on the horizon. So that part is going well.

But office buildings... yikes. Don't know why they aren't popping up like mushrooms right now. We do have the Stage Center tower that we may discover something about one of these days, I guess.
    Parkside building is being worked on, sort of. And then... what else? Yeesh.
    Fact is, the way technology has increased over the years, the need for office space is diminishing. Nowadays, you can pretty much do any office job, with just a laptop, cell phone, and Internet connection. This is not the 80's, that is why you see more high residential construction more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by modernism View Post
    We have been getting a lot of bad, or at least less positive economic news in OKC lately. It sucks that this means a net-loss of high paying, white collar jobs for OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Fact is, the way technology has increased over the years, the need for office space is diminishing. Nowadays, you can pretty much do any office job, with just a laptop, cell phone, and Internet connection. This is not the 80's, that is why you see more high residential construction more than anything.
    This is true, and its why I believe its wishful thinking to think OKC will get three or more additional commercial towers. Most towers being built recently have been residential and not commercial. For a city the size of OKC to get three major commercial towers in the 2010s decade would simply be unprecedented. I will honestly be surprised if there is a second tower. I think the Stage Center Tower will be it. Now residential towers are a different story and OKC could potentially in the future see real skyline transformation that way. However, I don't see that coming any time soon unless job and population growth kick into high gear.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    This is true, and its why I believe its wishful thinking to think OKC will get three or more additional commercial towers. Most towers being built recently have been residential and not commercial. For a city the size of OKC to get three major commercial towers in the 2010s decade would simply be unprecedented. I will honestly be surprised if there is a second tower. I think the Stage Center Tower will be it. Now residential towers are a different story and OKC could potentially in the future see real skyline transformation that way. However, I don't see that coming any time soon unless job and population growth kick into high gear.
    I'm not really sure why you think that or what you're basing this opinion on, but I don't two or three more towers in OKC is wishful thinking at all. All it takes is one energy company (Continental) running out of office space, not being able to find any additional space, and building a tower. Downtown OKC is out of class A office space and according to Steve, we've had to turn businesses (or at least one large business) away because of it. There is going to have to be an increase in space by one means or another and I don't see how one new tower that includes a major tenant will be able to meet all of the current and future demand.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Nah, I don't buy that explanation at all. It's like 10-12 years ago when I was hearing that 'work-at-home' was going to transform business and that the traditional work place was going away. Well, a lot of people do work at home, but it's only a small minority and most people still trudge to their work place, like always.

I'm sure that many small businesses and start-ups operate just like you're saying. But once they reach a certain size... woops, then you need office space in actual buildings.

No, OKC badly needs more class A space, by all accounts, so I definitely see more office buildings being built downtown. Just wish that I knew what plans are brewing away in secret quarters.

Thread Information