Widgets Magazine

Thread: Odot

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Odot

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I remember the day that I dreamed of living in Dallas...Young, dumb, and full of...well that's not board appropriate
    I have lived in Dallas. I have no desire to live there at this point. It's funny though how a bunch of members of this board put down Dallas and say things like "Dallas is for people with no common sense" and "Dallas is for young and dumb people that are full of sh*t", yet Dallas seems to always be in the top five best cities lists, well, every best cities list that is positive.

2. Default Re: Odot

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I have lived in Dallas. I have no desire to live there at this point. It's funny though how a bunch of members of this board put down Dallas and say things like "Dallas is for people with no common sense" and "Dallas is for young and dumb people that are full of sh*t", yet Dallas seems to always be in the top five best cities lists, well, every best cities list that is positive.
    Austin is almost always at the top of that list too...yet they have one of the worst highway systems on a major city. So I don't think the High 5 is a qualifying feature.

Who said Dallas was for people with no common sense? I made a common sense comment, but it wasn't in that regard. What is great for Dallas doesn't mean it is great for OKC. Climate and expense has to be considered. Also the existing I-40/44 interchange really isn't that bad of a design right now. The traffic issues from my experience around there are from issues downstream a bit...not the interchange itself.

I get it though where you come from with your comments. I have a wild imagination that I have to keep under control otherwise I end up envisioning things for my hometown that are completely unrealistic. Nothing wrong with that, it is just something that needs to be kept in check and realistic.

As far as Teo's young, dumb...comment. Yeah...I'm guessing you never heard that saying before. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Austin is almost always at the top of that list too...yet they have one of the worst highway systems on a major city. So I don't think the High 5 is a qualifying feature.

Who said Dallas was for people with no common sense? I made a common sense comment, but it wasn't in that regard. What is great for Dallas doesn't mean it is great for OKC. Climate and expense has to be considered. Also the existing I-40/44 interchange really isn't that bad of a design right now. The traffic issues from my experience around there are from issues downstream a bit...not the interchange itself.

I get it though where you come from with your comments. I have a wild imagination that I have to keep under control otherwise I end up envisioning things for my hometown that are completely unrealistic. Nothing wrong with that, it is just something that needs to be kept in check and realistic.

As far as Teo's young, dumb...comment. Yeah...I'm guessing you never heard that saying before. LOL
    I understand, I just think that a four level stack interchange could work here, and it would be great. If Denver and Detroit have them, I'm sure we could make something work. Dallas spent 260 million on the high five, we are spending something like 170 million(I could be wrong on that and please correct me if I am) on the I235/I44 interchange, and that is a half flyover half cloverleaf interchange. I don't understand it.

Also, are you thinking of the same interchange as I am? I am talking about the one near Dell calling center, that moves from the new crosstown. . .

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Austin is almost always at the top of that list too...yet they have one of the worst highway systems on a major city. So I don't think the High 5 is a qualifying feature
    Well, to be fair Austin is only served by one interstate and is growing as insane levels. The population is exploding there. I didn't mean to say that Dallas is at the top of the lists due to the high five, it just seems sometimes people here like to put Dallas down as a bad city.

Well, to be fair Austin is only served by one interstate and is growing as insane levels. The population is exploding there. I didn't mean to say that Dallas is at the top of the lists due to the high five, it just seems sometimes people here like to put Dallas down as a bad city.
    Austin had a city council problem in their boom of the 90's (and still do to some extent), the council back then had an "if you don't build it, they won't come" mentality. We have all seen how well that has worked out. It also comes down to legislative dollars, the people in DFW, Houston and San Antonio don't want it spent in Austin and the Austin area has some pretty weak legislative representation in the Texas legislature. Sound familiar? People from outside the capital city thinking too much is already spent there?

I also can't think of anything quite like the High 5 in Denver, there are some flyover interchanges but nothing that extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Austin had a city council problem in their boom of the 90's (and still do to some extent), the council back then had an "if you don't build it, they won't come" mentality. We have all seen how well that has worked out. It also comes down to legislative dollars, the people in DFW, Houston and San Antonio don't want it spent in Austin and the Austin area has some pretty weak legislative representation in the Texas legislature. Sound familiar? People from outside the capital city thinking too much is already spent there?

I also can't think of anything quite like the High 5 in Denver, there are some flyover interchanges but nothing that extreme.
    I thought Denver had a five stack interchange somewhere?

I thought Denver had a five stack interchange somewhere?
    I just can't think of where it would be, even 25/70 isn't like one of the Dallas interchanges. No service roads passing through the interchanges in that area that I can think of. If there is one, it would more than likely be in the northwest area as I tend to stay from downtown south or my weekly trip out to DIA.

Thread Information