Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Lost Ogle

Default Re: The Lost Ogle

^

Also correct.

See Post #3 (^).

(i was just watching one of The Foundling Ogles on tv and felt compelled to add my two-cents. sorry)

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    See Post #3 (^).

(i was just watching one of The Foundling Ogles on tv and felt compelled to add my two-cents. sorry)
    Occasionally TLO will run something I wrote if it's snarky enough.
    Here's a piece from 2010 with some pretty pictures:

Guest | The Lost Ogle

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Isn't the Lost Ogle based in Tulsa?
    God no. Why do you think Tulsa has everything first?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    God no. Why do you think Tulsa has everything first?
    I was confusing it with "This Land", a hipster publication out of Tulsa.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I was confusing it with "This Land", a hipster publication out of Tulsa.
    I am a long way from being a "hipster" but, if I'm not mistaken, I think I've heard some audio stuff from the "This Land" people on some in-state NPR station. I thought that what I heard was exceptionally good. I'm not sure if that makes them less "hip" or me moreso. =)

But this is about The Lost Ogle.
    (even their name makes me smile a little each time i read it.
    not the Kelly Ogle Flash The Caps sort of smile,
    rather a tiny upturn of the mouth corners)

Thanks for all the feedback.

I think of TLO as a very difficult to label mix of satire, news and irreverence. The content and tone and style can change from post to post. Just like any other form of art, it's up to the individual reader to decide what it all means or represents. I guess that means all the opinions on here are correct. Except, of course, for Tom. That guy's an asshole.

8. Default Re: The Lost Ogle

TLO is absolutely essential if you want to keep your perspective around here: if you're persuaded that life in this here town is Too Important to mock, you'd better hope that your rectal stickectomy is still covered under the Deformable Care Act.

And I'm not just saying that because Patrick once interviewed me for TLO's short-lived radio show, because that was arguably the low point in their history, if not in mine.

I love it, I think the area needed a news source like this that doesn't take itself too seriously. It is irritating to see news journalists getting a bit upset when TLO scoops them on stories and it takes sometimes days for the other journalists to report on it.

Quote Originally Posted by John1744 View Post
    It is irritating to see news journalists getting a bit upset when TLO scoops them on stories and it takes sometimes days for the other journalists to report on it.

Do you have an example of a news journalist getting upset about that?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Do you have an example of a news journalist getting upset about that?
    I can think of several examples in which they lashed out on social media towards other journalists, usually unprovoked.

Seriously, if you don't think they take themselves seriously, I would suggest following their obnoxious twitter feed.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    I can think of several examples in which they lashed out on social media towards other journalists, usually unprovoked.

Seriously, if you don't think they take themselves seriously, I would suggest following their obnoxious twitter feed.
    Sorry, I have better things to do than following a twitter feed. LOL

I still don't see a posted example of a news journalist getting upset about being scooped by TLO.

I still don't see a posted example of a news journalist getting upset about being scooped by TLO.

TLO is fun to read. They are like every other blog out there. If you don't like what they have to say or the views they support, Why are you logging on in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by okcpatrick View Post
    Except, of course, for Tom. That guy's an asshole.
    And that would be me?

The media world revolves around Twitter now, whether we like it or not, and any media outlet's Twitter voice is essential to establishing their identity.

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    The media world revolves around Twitter now, whether we like it or not, and any media outlet's Twitter voice is essential to establishing their identity.
    Which has nothing to do with what I said.

I'll admit The Lost Ogle is in my news reader. My problem with TLO is the total lack of filter that would show some sense of decency. Every time I start to take TLO seriously and appreciate something they do, along comes some really juvenile rant about his being bombed or having a hangover or something totally inappropriate. No filter. It's verbal vomit. The adolescent obsession with certain female news anchors is another example. No filter. I can only take so much before I remember how short life is.

As for scoops though...I really think, if I'm not mistaken, the whole Ryan Tate audio and his crazy threat to fire all those people (surely you remember) - I think they had that first. And Twitter clearly is the local media's megaphone to one another and some of them do seem chapped with his Ogle Mole Network and envy his sources. That's pretty obvious on Twitter.

But I stand by my feelings about the site, generally, in my first paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    As for scoops though...I really think, if I'm not mistaken, the whole Ryan Tate audio and his crazy threat to fire all those people (surely you remember) - I think they had that first. And Twitter clearly is the local media's megaphone to one another and some of them do seem chapped with his Ogle Mole Network and envy his sources. That's pretty obvious on Twitter.
    I am fairly certain that the Journal Record was the first to "scoop" that Ryan Tate story. I hope they did not claim that they were first.

I can't really say I've ever seen "chapped" journalists criticize TLO, although I guess it could happen in private. I do know that Patrick has egged on a lot of other media types. Steve Lackmeyer seems to be one of his favorite targets. Sometimes its just harmless poking fun, and sometimes its rather snarky and rude. I don't get it because its not like TLO is covering downtown stuff. Where does the nastiness come from?

But this is common behavior from a lot of new media types that think they are on the cutting edge. Compare their behavior to Pete and posters here on OKCTalk, who are far more likely to offer a good scoop than the TLO ever will but aren't being jackasses about it.

I once ran into Patrick at Kaisers and made small talk for a couple mins and then went to my table. He then met some lady and was pitching her some advertising to sell on his site. During his meeting with her, he turned to my table and said: excuse me, have you ever heard of the lost ogle website. I said sure, I read it. It was pretty classic. Do not know if he ended up making the sell but funny nonetheless.

Thread Information