Widgets Magazine

Thread: Urban Wildlife

Question Urban Wildlife

I was just curious knowing what kind of wildlife roams around in urban areas. . . Anyone who lives in an urban environment or has lived in one, what kind of wildlife did you see???? Obviously there are birds and what not. . . but anyone see any deer, foxes, or raccoons in or around Deep Deuce?

Default Re: Urban Wildlife

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I was just curious knowing what kind of wildlife roams around in urban areas. . . Anyone who lives in an urban environment or has lived in one, what kind of wildlife did you see???? Obviously there are birds and what not. . . but anyone see any deer, foxes, or raccoons in or around Deep Deuce?
    I saw a scorpion in Bricktown last night.

3. Default Re: Urban Wildlife

When the canal opened in 1999 there were some little red foxes that would come up along it in the evenings and scavenge, about as far as the current location of the Residence Inn or Toby Keith's. Presumably they came from the direction of the river. Lasted 2-3 years, but no sightings for many years since.

Now there are quite a few rabbits living along the south canal, mostly in the culvert between the City's Parks dept maintenance facility and Rocktown, the silo climbing gym. Presumably because the foxes are no longer there.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I saw a scorpion in Bricktown last night.
    NO WAY!?!?!?! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    When the canal opened in 1999 there were some little red foxes that would come up along it in the evenings and scavenge, about as far as the current location of the Residence Inn or Toby Keith's. Presumably they came from the direction of the river. Lasted 2-3 years, but no sightings for many years since.

Now there are quite a few rabbits living along the south canal, mostly in the culvert between the City's Parks dept maintenance facility and Rocktown, the silo climbing gym. Presumably because the foxes are no longer there.
    Awesome!!!!!

6. Default Re: Urban Wildlife

Sycamore Square (R.S. Kerr W of Walker) had a raccoon problem a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    While taking the train into downtown Philadelphia the engineer laid on the horn pretty good in an area where there were no crossings. I figured someone was on the tracks but it turned out to be some deer. As the crow flies we were 3 miles from suburban station in downtown Philly.

Of course, we were in west Philly and the deer were carrying spray paint cans.

8. Default Re: Urban Wildlife

I've seen some squirrels that I think may have escaped from the circus because they are usually doing a tightrope walk on power lines crossing the street.

I've dubbed them the Walenda Squirrels.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I've seen some squirrels that I think may have escaped from the circus because they are usually doing a tightrope walk on power lines crossing the street.

I've dubbed them the Walenda Squirrels.
    One wrong step and they would by The Frying Wallendas.

Fox, rabbits, coyotes, raccoons and possums are liable to adapt to urban areas. Squirrels are everywhere. Bobcats, not so much.

A very fun thing to do, especially if you have kids, is to set up an inexpensive trail cam (you can get them on amazon or any hunting store, Bass Pro, etc.). If you are near water, especially a pond of creek, you can set it up and see all kinds of things. Even a big bowl of water can attract critters. If you are near a yard with tall grass, same thing. If you aren't sure where to set the cam, look for tracks and sign. It is fascinating what comes out at night. If you can hear owls, at night, you can bet there are wild critters on the ground out there, too. if you have trees in your yard, look under them to see if there are lots of bird droppings. That means a nest or a bird staying in one place, hunting. If you have a tree near water, there is a very good chance that you will attract an owl (night) or a hawk (day).

Not really urban, but there are a ton of deer back behind Hefner WTP

We had hoot owls on one of the unoccupied Brownstone balconies last summer, but have not heard them this year. I've seen a few squirrels only, otherwise, and not many of them. My dogs were very interested in a bush last summer that we would hear rustlings in, but it was probably a cat, not anything more interesting. I'm out with them late at night sometimes and haven't seen any wildlife.

Our casa in Norman has numerous birds and squirrels (well fewer squirrels now than before, after a few apparently made a suicide pack on which one could make with the nearby transformer. Had bunnies but as more dogs came into the neighborhood they either got got or bounced away to safer digs. The prior casa abutted a park and bunnies everywhere.

Where I worked on the Griffin grounds, cute little fox would slip in and out from underneath the old dead church, bunny here and there and on occasion deer would be out and about if one was around early enough (danged all nighters anyhow) or late enough. Get just out of the hustle and bustle of town anywhere in the metro and the rural and kinda sorta still rural parts of OKC and all the surrounding communities have lots of critter activity.

We live in the SW part of the city in a large subdivision. We've seen coyotes and foxes around the area. Also rabbits, squirrels, skunks, possums are throughout the area, and beavers, muskrats, & supposedly nutria are in the ponds in our addition. There are all sorts of birds--have even had a roadrunner, mallards, and Canadian geese come right into the yard. The list of other birds is quite lengthy, including owls, hawks, kites, etc. Sometimes it seems as though we are living in a rural area, rather than in a metropolitan area. The "downside" is that we also get the occasional snake, including a 6-footer in the neighbor's garage!

I am happy to report that this year I'm seeing a lot more bees than last year. Maybe it was last year's heat, as I was, and am still, really worried about colony collapse. If I can just keep our landscapers from using pesticides it will be good. No baby butterflies on my passion vine, butterfly weed, dill or fennel this year, sadly, though. I'll keep growing food plants for the caterpillars in hopes that I'll get a few.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I am happy to report that this year I'm seeing a lot more bees than last year. Maybe it was last year's heat, as I was, and am still, really worried about colony collapse. If I can just keep our landscapers from using pesticides it will be good. No baby butterflies on my passion vine, butterfly weed, dill or fennel this year, sadly, though. I'll keep growing food plants for the caterpillars in hopes that I'll get a few.
    I know right!!!!!!! It's great to see. . . .

Our Vitex is attracting a ton of bees. Makes me happy.

Thread Information