Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OKC Public Schools perception

Default Re: OKC Public Schools perception

The NEA doesn't do much at all for schools on the local level.

What a friggin' ignorant statement. Drinkin' that anti-union kool aid much?

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    The NEA doesn't do much at all for schools on the local level.

What a friggin' ignorant statement. Drinkin' that anti-union kool aid much?
    First of all, that was exactly my point. They don't care about what actually goes on in the schools, you know, the purpose of education. You're right, I don't like the idea of a teachers union and never have. I do support working class private sector unions, but people working on taxpayer payrolls I'm not too excited about the need for unions.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    First of all, that was exactly my point. They don't care about what actually goes on in the schools, you know, the purpose of education. You're right, I don't like the idea of a teachers union and never have. I do support working class private sector unions, but people working on taxpayer payrolls I'm not too excited about the need for unions.
    Oklahoma's teachers are among the lowest paid in the country. How exactly do you plan to make the case that their unions are costing the taxpayers money? THe union does provide some protection for employees against poor administrators. They provide at least some organized opposition to the barbarians at the gate, namely, for-profit schools and deregulation. They also provide legal counsel and liability coverage for teachers.

Teachers have the right to have someone advocate for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Oklahoma's teachers are among the lowest paid in the country. How exactly do you plan to make the case that their unions are costing the taxpayers money? THe union does provide some protection for employees against poor administrators. They provide at least some organized opposition to the barbarians at the gate, namely, for-profit schools and deregulation. They also provide legal counsel and liability coverage for teachers.

Teachers have the right to have someone advocate for them.
    Adjusted for cost of living, Oklahoma teachers rank better than average. Like 19th last I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Just a continuation of white flight. Given the last census estimate showed growth in OKC now exceeding that of its suburbs, I thought this was slowing down. ...
    Are we talking about total numbers or comparing growth with previous years?

6. Default Re: OKC Public Schools perception

The options for OKCPS have improved, but there is still plenty of room for improvement. I think that we now have a larger variety of choices with all the charters available.

Harding Charter Prep was ranked #23 in the nation last week here: [URL="http://www.thebestschools.org/blog/2013/03/27/50-public-high-schools-u-s/"The Best Schools[/URL]. Classen SAS also made the list.

When you have had so many rough years, it takes a long time to shed a poor public perception. I do know, however, that some students choose to go to "easy" schools, but at the same time, Belle Isle Enterprise MS has to limit enrollment, and HCP has to have a lottery for students to get in now, because we met our maximum enrollment. This was the plan set forth in our charter. We are not allowed to have more than 500 students. Although we have the lottery, there are no actual requirements to get in beyond what you would need to enroll in a traditional public high school, such as verification of address.

I have been to several OKCPS buildings over the years for different functions, and I think people would be surprised to see what it's like. Sure, there are discipline problems, but it's not like Dangerous Minds, either.
    Still corrupting young minds

Quote Originally Posted by bandnerd View Post
    Belle Isle Enterprise MS has to limit enrollment, and HCP has to have a lottery for students to get in now, because we met our maximum enrollment. This was the plan set forth in our charter. We are not allowed to have more than 500 students.
    I'm hearing that Wilson Elementary has had to eliminate transfers for next fall, as they are oversubscribed as well.

8. Default Re: OKC Public Schools perception

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    I'm hearing that Wilson Elementary has had to eliminate transfers for next fall, as they are oversubscribed as well.
    I'm sorry, what did you say? I have a hard time hearing you over the awesomeness of the name DoctorTaco

It doesn't surprise me, though. Wilson's a good school.
    Still corrupting young minds

Quote Originally Posted by bandnerd View Post
    I'm sorry, what did you say? I have a hard time hearing you over the awesomeness of the name DoctorTaco

Thanks!

10. Default Re: OKC Public Schools perception

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    The young professionals today flocking to downtown are likely to flee to the suburbs once they have school-age children, unless they can afford private school.
    This is verbatim my point of view. I know other young people in the Downtown/Midtown area share it as well. It's a legitimate concern of mine for my future in the Downtown OKC area. In reality, if I leave Downtown OKC area and I'm expecting children, I may look farther than the OKC Suburbs and consider other cities with a more tolerable metro area school system.

One thing I'm particularly curious about is the John W. Rex Charter School that has been mentioned a few times in the news. (John W. Rex Elementary ? The Third Teacher +)

Why is there not an entire thread on OKCTalk dedicated to this proposed downtown elementary school, since it would be an Urban Development/Redevelopment item?

11. Default Re: OKC Public Schools perception

Quote Originally Posted by GeoGlyphics View Post
    One thing I'm particularly curious about is the John W. Rex Charter School that has been mentioned a few times in the news. (John W. Rex Elementary ? The Third Teacher +)

Why is there not an entire thread on OKCTalk dedicated to this proposed downtown elementary school, since it would be an Urban Development/Redevelopment item?
    Geez I answered my own question. Downtown Elementary School - OKCTalk

Blog Entries

Thought about creating a new thread after not finding one specifically about OKCPS in general but this one looks to be the closest so I'll use it...

Oklahoma City School Board to consider $1 million plan to boost academics
    (mobile link provided while article embargoed)

Midtowner, I think the mentioned program at Grant has been mentioned by you in other threads a number of times so thought this might interest you the most since they are attempting to spread that model's usage throughout the district...

I pass NW Classen school quite often, and it seems that it closed a lot. What is the reason for that?

Blog Entries

I don't know what to say about that. My youngest goes there, 7:35-2:35 everyday. Maybe you're noticing during the extensive breaks? OKCPS now has 2 weeks off for Fall Break, 3 weeks off for Winter Break, and 2 weeks off for Spring Break.

OKC Teachers have much cheaper options than their union.
    There have been many OKCPS teachers leave the union in recent years in large part because most view the union as highly infective and expensive. Some do not like how their dues are used for causes that they don't believe in. In general union membership is trending down so this goes along with that trend.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Thought about creating a new thread after not finding one specifically about OKCPS in general but this one looks to be the closest so I'll use it...

Oklahoma City School Board to consider $1 million plan to boost academics
    (mobile link provided while article embargoed)

Midtowner, I think the mentioned program at Grant has been mentioned by you in other threads a number of times so thought this might interest you the most since they are attempting to spread that model's usage throughout the district...
    Sounds like something that could really improve the district. It's sad that so many underachieving schools make the district look worse than it is. As mentioned before there are plenty of OKC schools that are some of the best in the state.

OKCPS getting some flack now for requiring third graders to pass a reading test to move onto the fourth grade.

Blog Entries

Another part of the picture regarding OKCPS:

90% of OKCPS students on free or reduced lunch

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    We'll probably get a lot of mini-Grant failures because Grant cost $5MM for 3 years. Now $1MM for the whole district?

I'll believe it when I see it.

I think he might actually know what he's doing. Although I think our funding for schools is abysmal and embarrassing, Lopez might be able to get a little bit of blood out of the turnip.

At last night's school board meeting there was a proposal to make Edgemere Elementary a "Community School".

http://www.boarddocs.com/ok/okcps/Board.nsf/files/9FRKUE5380BD/$file/Edgemere%20proposal%20final.pdf

This proposal seems to have a lot of neighborhood support and is quite interesting. If they can turn around Edgemere than OKCPS has a bright future for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    At last night's school board meeting there was a proposal to make Edgemere Elementary a "Community School".

http://www.boarddocs.com/ok/okcps/Board.nsf/files/9FRKUE5380BD/$file/Edgemere%20proposal%20final.pdf

This proposal seems to have a lot of neighborhood support and is quite interesting. If they can turn around Edgemere than OKCPS has a bright future for itself.
    Never heard of anything like that before. Interesting.

It would have been hard to believe a number of years ago that the OKCPS would have an overcrowding problem.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/3934983?embargo=1

There doesn't appear to be an easy or quick fix to this issue.

A plan to alleviate elementary school overcrowding by changing attendance boundaries could affect hundreds of children in the Oklahoma City district.

Dozens of district schools would be targeted by the plan, which includes adding 22 portable buildings — the equivalent of 44 classrooms — and closing Jackson Middle School and reopening it as an elementary school.

Most of the schools affected are on the city’s south side, which is experiencing sharp population increases in the Hispanic community.

“I’m not thrilled to death with any of it,” said Ron Millican, a board member whose district includes six schools affected by the proposed boundary changes. “But we do have to give them some relief. We don’t have enough classrooms in some of those buildings.”
    District officials called the proposal, which is based on current and future enrollment projections, a “temporary solution.” Another bond issue to build new schools appears to be the only long-term fix.

Some good perspective from someone who has labored a long time to improve OKCPS:
    Education advocate: Site-based management is one key to improving bad schools | News OK

Thread Information