Widgets Magazine

Thread: NFL in OKC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: NFL in OKC

I've never seen anything that says that NBA tickets are the most expensive. I did a little searching for prices last year, and the prices I found said otherwise, with the NFL being far and away more expensive on average. That makes complete sense, seeing that the least valuable NFL franchise is still worth a significant chunk of money more than the most valuable NBA franchise. Now, some of the numbers were from third parties, but they were similar enough in most places I looked.

Average MLB ticket price - $26.98
    Most expensive average MLB ticket price - $101.11 (Boston)
    Least expensive average MLB ticket price - $33.21 (Pittsburgh)

Average NBA ticket price - $48.48.
    Most expensive average NBA ticket price - $117.47 (New York)
    Least expensive average NBA ticket price - $22.95 (Memphis)

Average NHL ticket price - $57.10
    Most expensive average NHL ticket price - $123.77 (Toronto)
    Least expensive average NHL ticket price - $29.95 (Dallas)

Average NFL ticket price - $78.38
    Most expensive average NFL ticket price - $117.94 (Jets)
    Least expensive average NFL ticket - $54.20 (Cleveland)

And that's only taking the ticket itself into account and not everything else that goes along with the ticket.

And if we're talking fortune 500 companies, CNN lists two in Oklahoma City and two in Tulsa, in between OKC and Tulsa, and 4 in the immediate Nashville area. Now, that's not taking Memphis (2) or Chatanooga (1) into account because they're so far away, but for an NFL game, you'd probably be more likely to have people make a trip and support those teams, compared to OKC, where three hours gets you to cities that already have die hard NFL fanbases.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk405359 View Post
    I've never seen anything that says that NBA tickets are the most expensive. I did a little searching for prices last year, and the prices I found said otherwise, with the NFL being far and away more expensive on average. That makes complete sense, seeing that the least valuable NFL franchise is still worth a significant chunk of money more than the most valuable NBA franchise. Now, some of the numbers were from third parties, but they were similar enough in most places I looked.

Average MLB ticket price - $26.98
    Most expensive average MLB ticket price - $101.11 (Boston)
    Least expensive average MLB ticket price - $33.21 (Pittsburgh)

Average NBA ticket price - $48.48.
    Most expensive average NBA ticket price - $117.47 (New York)
    Least expensive average NBA ticket price - $22.95 (Memphis)

Average NHL ticket price - $57.10
    Most expensive average NHL ticket price - $123.77 (Toronto)
    Least expensive average NHL ticket price - $29.95 (Dallas)

Average NFL ticket price - $78.38
    Most expensive average NFL ticket price - $117.94 (Jets)
    Least expensive average NFL ticket - $54.20 (Cleveland)

And that's only taking the ticket itself into account and not everything else that goes along with the ticket.

And if we're talking fortune 500 companies, CNN lists two in Oklahoma City and two in Tulsa, in between OKC and Tulsa, and 4 in the immediate Nashville area. Now, that's not taking Memphis (2) or Chatanooga (1) into account because they're so far away, but for an NFL game, you'd probably be more likely to have people make a trip and support those teams, compared to OKC, where three hours gets you to cities that already have die hard NFL fanbases.
    Probably was the average cost of purachasing full season of tickets some year(s): MLB has more games than any of the others, NBA/NHL has the same, NFL has far fewer games. Either way it does not look like that would hold for this year.

Average ticket price X regular season home games
    MLB: 26.98 X 81 = 2185.38
    NBA: 48.48 X 42 = 2036.16
    NHL: 57.10 X 42 = 2398.20
    NFL: 78.38 X 8 = 627.04

3. Default Re: NFL in OKC

By looking at the total spent on each sport per season, it does clearly show that NFL only accounts for roughly 1/3 of the cost of the other 3 sports. Admittedly, I was incorrect about the NBA having the most expensive ticket on average. I know that when OKC was trying to get an NHL expansion team in the 1990's, I remember hearing Mayor Norick and Clay Bennett saying that NHL was the priciest, and then NBA. Made me wonder why we were going for the most expensive sport at the time. I just believe that OKC has much more wealth than people realize, and the NFL is not too far-fetched of a possibility for this city.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNINSOKC View Post
    By looking at the total spent on each sport per season, it does clearly show that NFL only accounts for roughly 1/3 of the cost of the other 3 sports. Admittedly, I was incorrect about the NBA having the most expensive ticket on average. I know that when OKC was trying to get an NHL expansion team in the 1990's, I remember hearing Mayor Norick and Clay Bennett saying that NHL was the priciest, and then NBA. Made me wonder why we were going for the most expensive sport at the time. I just believe that OKC has much more wealth than people realize, and the NFL is not too far-fetched of a possibility for this city.
    Some interviews implied the NHL was seen at the time as the most likely to be possible to get a team from. At the time the NBA did not have any team considering a move, expansion was not going to happen and we would not have been first on the list at the time to move to anyway. They may be more fan ticket dollar expensive but the NFL stadiums cost more as do the teams and trying to to get into MLB as the smallest team is asking to be a doormat.

And if we were talking total costs for going to a game, I'd still bet the NFL would be more expensive than that even, since most people have to pay for parking and concessions and the like as well, and I'd wager that that's more expensive in the NFL than the other leagues as well.
    Some owners do turn the screws to fans for parking and concessions but since the real money for football is in the TV rights it does not all have to be made up at the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Some owners do turn the screws to fans for parking and concessions but since the real money for football is in the TV rights it does not all have to be made up at the stadium.
    except that with the NFL and the TV rights deal, you have to look at shared revenue streams versus non-shared revenue streams... concessions and parking is 100% for the ownership/stadium... the TV rights is all shared revenue. so a team can make a lot of money on concessions and parking, and other items like that and not have to give that money to anyone else.

I'm just curious how many of the people on this discussion have A) been to an NFL game, and B) have regularly gone? Not trying to brag or anything, but i make atleast 1 game each season, and have been to 22 of the 32 stadiums over the past decade. I have experienced a lot of different atmosphere's that surround the NFL, and I think that is why i just don't see OKC as a NFL city, and like i have said before, not sure if i really want it to be an NFL city.

Thread Information