Widgets Magazine

Thread: Highway 69/75 working to become interstate

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Highway 69/75 working to become interstate

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Interesting thing about Missouri interstates is that there's marker every .2 miles. Sounds like a waste of money to me.
    Last fall, I drove through part of Missouri for the first time in probably 30 years, and noticed those .2 mi increment mile markers. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why you'd have those so close! LOL Unless the highway folks just had a nice contract with someone for 5x the average density of milemarkers

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Last fall, I drove through part of Missouri for the first time in probably 30 years, and noticed those .2 mi increment mile markers. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why you'd have those so close! LOL Unless the highway folks just had a nice contract with someone for 5x the average density of milemarkers
    Its for roadside emergencies. If you break down in the middle of nowhere, would you remember what mile marker you passed last?

3. Default Re: Highway 69/75 working to become interstate

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Michigan and Ohio have them every .2 miles as well. They rolled them out probably 15 years ago and can definitely come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Hopefully not.
    Why would you say that? This is a relatively low population area...shouldn't people who are using it pay tolls to keep it updated?

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Why would you say that? This is a relatively low population area...shouldn't people who are using it pay tolls to keep it updated?
    ODOT can keep them funded through the taxes people already pay. Interstates do NOT need to be tolled. If this highway were to have a 90MPH speed limit, then I will definitely warm up to the idea of it being tolled. I don't mind seeing some intercity highways being tolled either, but not interstates.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    ODOT can keep them funded through the taxes people already pay. Interstates do NOT need to be tolled. If this highway were to have a 90MPH speed limit, then I will definitely warm up to the idea of it being tolled. I don't mind seeing some intercity highways being tolled either, but not interstates.
    They can barely afford what we have. That's why major construction projects are dragged out over 7 years. They don't have enough money in the budget to do quick construction. Now add more interstate with no revenue increase?

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    They can barely afford what we have. That's why major construction projects are dragged out over 7 years. They don't have enough money in the budget to do quick construction. Now add more interstate with no revenue increase?
    Actually, the new interstate would cause a revenue decrease. Cars would get better gas mileage without having to stop at lights and it could save someone a 100 miles on the drive. More to maintain with less money to maintain it is not the way we need to be going.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Actually, the new interstate would cause a revenue decrease. Cars would get better gas mileage without having to stop at lights and it could save someone a 100 miles on the drive.
    yeah, let's force people to use more gas and lengthen their commute time, brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    major construction projects are dragged out because ODOT can't borrow money for road construction. The revenue will increase as the local economy there strengthens from having an interstate going through it. Nearly Every major city has an interstate either running through it or right next to it.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Can you cite your source?
    are you suggesting people don't pay taxes that go to roads and highways?

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Michigan and Ohio have them every .2 miles as well. They rolled them out probably 15 years ago and can definitely come in handy.

People using the Turner Turnpike will be paying for the up keep, not anybody down there.

Thread Information