Widgets Magazine

Thread: NFL in OKC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: NFL in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    Yeah, but if everyone's population is growing near the same rate... then there may be a lot of competition: World Population - YouTube

BTW, I'd also argue that OU and OSU football serve as de facto professional franschises by the financial commitment they require. An NFL team would definitely harm those programs severely.
    They're not though. OKC is the 9th fastest growing MSA among the Top 50 MSAs. Cleveland and Detroit's populations are actually declining. Cincy, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, are all barely growing.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    They're not though. OKC is the 9th fastest growing MSA among the Top 50 MSAs. Cleveland and Detroit's populations are actually declining. Cincy, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, are all barely growing.
    Yeah, but OKC is dramatically behind a lot of these cities. It would have to sustain drastic growth over a long period to catch up. Unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    Yeah, but OKC is dramatically behind a lot of these cities. It would have to sustain drastic growth over a long period to catch up. Unlikely.
    I don't see a reason for OKC to slow it's growth. Unless American energy companies just absolutely tank, OKC doesn't appear to be growing on a bubble. It's growing in concert with the rest of the large Texas cities. The only other areas growing quicker are the NC cities in the Piedmont Atlantic, Denver, and DC.

And OKC easily has the biggest negative national reputation to overcome of all those cities.

San Antonio may get an NFL team before OKC, but I'd think the Texans/Cowboys would fight that harder than an OKC market. I'm not yet convinced that Cleveland and Cincinnati will both hold onto their 2M population for the next 30 years, let alone their NFL teams.

I don't see a reason for OKC to slow it's growth. Unless American energy companies just absolutely tank, OKC doesn't appear to be growing on a bubble. It's growing in concert with the rest of the large Texas cities. The only other areas growing quicker are the NC cities in the Piedmont Atlantic, Denver, and DC.

And OKC easily has the biggest negative national reputation to overcome of all those cities.

San Antonio may get an NFL team before OKC, but I'd think the Texans/Cowboys would fight that harder than an OKC market. I'm not yet convinced that Cleveland and Cincinnati will both hold onto their 2M population for the next 30 years, let alone their NFL teams.
    The energy market is volatile. There's no way to no whether it will hold up. Heck, it's possible that both Chesapeake and Sandridge could be gone within a few years. Both are on shaky grounds. How would that effect the local economy? I hope OKC continues to grow, but you can never count on these things. Unfortunately, OKC still has a ways to go to compare to most major cities and it lost momentum it could be hard to regain because of the current disadvantages.

The energy market has boomed and burst in the past, there's no reason to really believe that it'd be impossible for that to happen now. Every market is volatile, so it's always going to be a huge risk for the economy of a city to be so heavily dependent on one market.

Thread Information