Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
Some liquor store owners would like to add refrigeration but I think the vast majority do not. Reach in coolers are not that expensive and there are always used ones available but that doesn't keep a bunch of people from blocking progress. I also think the "cold, low point beer" lobby has much to do with liquor stores adding refrigeration.
It's an added expense sure but it wouldn't be one they HAD to take on it'd just be in their best interest. Some places are so small I'm not sure they would even have the room to add much anyway. That said, there are few certain stores (the best ones obviously) that would be installing refrigeration the very second they could. The hardest part for them would be how much to do. There's a store we visit down in Texas that has a pretty good selection and no lie, 90% (or more perhaps) of their beer is refrigerated as soon as it arrives. The owner told me he spends $5k a month on his electric and most of that is because of all the coolers. Obviously that's on the extreme end for a smaller mom/pop but it's his choice to do so and it should be everybody's choice. Again, teaching those opposed that the end goal is to have a better product is going to be the hard part here.

Who are you referring to when you say 'cold, low point beer lobby'?

'Low point beer' that's another prohibition term that's outdated and doesn't really make any sense(actually it didn't back in '33 either but it served to get alcohol flowing in the US again and most everybody wanted that so it didn't take much) . By definition, low point is anything 3.2%ABW (4.0% ABV) or less. So, a beer can be 4.1% ABV and considered 'high point'. Dumb. Actually, now that I think about it, it may be easier just to do away with that term and then just put a cap (up high) on ABV to keep spirits out of the grocers...sure seems like it would be less trouble.