Widgets Magazine

Thread: 99.7fm

Default 99.7fm

I was driving around the other day and I noticed that the 99.7 frequency is now on the air playing christian music, but it was skipping through songs, and during one of the songs, they did their station id sayings KZLS Mustang Oklahoma City, I guess they finally got it going, of course testing it, any suggestions from anybody, what format should they put on this station, I have some suggestions for the station: A all local talk station, Christian Music, A all news format station or a Smooth Jazz and Blues station.

Default Re: 99.7fm

I wish Tyler media would've bought that frequency and put Jack on there. That wouldv'e incresed their signal through the metro area. It would've been better than 1,000 watts they have now.

3. Default Re: 99.7fm

In 2003, Ralph Tyler himself tried to relocate a Tishomingo station on 99.7 to Tuttle; the application was subsequently ruled fraudulent.

I turn on 99.7 the other day, and it looks like they change formats, now they are known as the True Odies Channel, I know they got stations like that in Chicago and Atlanta, will it work for OKC, I think it will, if they upgrade their power and give KOMA a run for their money.

5. Default Re: 99.7fm

Actually, they're just programming Scott Shannon's True Oldies Channel 24/7. You can hardly pick it up in OKC. However, you can always listen live here:
    http://player.streamtheworld.com/_pl...=8669&nid=2920

I love this, from the True Oldies Channel website (please take note KOMA):

WHY IT'S DIFFERENT THAN OTHER OLDIES STATIONS:

We don't play the same 200 oldies over & over & over. We've got THOUSANDS of different songs on CD, LPs, and 45s in our oldies library, and we like to play 'em all! Sure you'll hear The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Elvis, The 4 Seasons & the Motown Stuff, Otis Redding, Buddy Holly, Wilson Pickett; but you'll also hear Roy Orbison, Brenda Lee, Rick Nelson, The Everly Bros., Gary U.S. Bonds, The Ventures, plenty of one hit wonders, and even some obscure forgotten 45s...

I love it! God, KOMA really does play 200 or so songs over and over and over, putting some in a higher rotation for a couple of weeks which is really annoying because you'll hear something like "Signs" 3 times a day for a few weeks. Then you'll notice a few new ones being played 3 times a day. But the "True Oldies Channel" has it right, most oldies stations are just like KOMA and play the same stuff repeatedly. Giving a whole new meaning to the term, "Oldies."

what are u talking about mike, i can pick up 99.7 anywhere in OKC except past shawnee and the far north side, i know down in Ada, you can pick it up in different spots, and yes I love too, its something OKC needs for a long time.

7. Default Re: 99.7fm

What am I talking about? You said it yourself, "i can pick up 99.7 anywhere in OKC except past shawnee and the far north side." That's a pretty big exception. You can't pick up the station north of 50th street with any consistency. You're excluding a huge part of the OKC metropolitan area if you think it can be a player in this market. Love the format, but it can't touch KOMA because of the above.

Well Mike I didn't kinda thank about that, my bad, anyways i think I read somewhere that they are trying upgrade their power from 25 kw to 35 kw, but if may not be enough to cover all of the metro.

Aside from KOMA's less than stellar set playlists, I don't care for the dj's and there is an annoying echo effect every time they talk. This compounds their already lackluster radio personalities.

10. Default Re: 99.7fm

You'd think 25kw would be enough to cover most of this town; the KATT survives very nicely on a hair under 30.

11. Default Re: 99.7fm

MikeOKC, this may be the coolest link I've seen in a long time. Thanks!

12. Default Re: 99.7fm

I wonder if there is a long term commitment to run the format of if its fluff until the owner finds someone with deep enough pockets to lease/buy it.

Chris
    Radio OKC - Where it's all about the music!

13. Default Re: 99.7fm

This station has staying power. The format is true oldies, much more variety, as opposed to KOMA playing the same 200 songs over and over and over again. I'm picking up 99.7 (The True Oldies Channel) much easier in north Oklahoma City than I was back in May. The Internet link is still live at the same address as it was in May: http://player.streamtheworld.com/_pl...=8669&nid=2920

Gotta love The True Oldies Channel!

14. Default Re: 99.7fm

I listen to this oldies channel a lot. It's my #1 music station, but I still listen to WWLS and KTOK for talk. Can't beat listening to the oldies I grew up with.

MikeOKC: Thanks for the link. Not only is the Oldies Playlist Way Above Average . . .
    But other audio links from the same location/console are almost as good as having Sirius Radio without seriously paying for it!

How wonderful it is to have a station that plays stuff that surprises me! The surprise is wearing off but 99.7 is the only local station where you'll hear the more obscure cuts from Beatles albums.

But that Shannon guy is off his rocker when he credits Van Morrison with the Shadows of Knight version of Gloria. Morrison was with THEM, who did the *good* version of Gloria.

17. Default Re: 99.7fm

Most "oldies" stations like KOMA play very few songs that KOMA and WKY had on their playlists when they were top 40 stations. I feel sorry for KOMA's disc jockeys since they can't play the mix of music that kids of my generation loved. Scott Shannon's True Oldies Channel network nearly always plays a variety of rock 'n roll and soul that hits my heart, like it did in the 50's and 60's. I wish the station would go back to playing more of the 50's early rock & soul songs (e.g. Sam Cooke, The Platters, Pat Boone), but they apparently have shifted to only playing one 50's song per hour. But I can program my own playlists from my mp3 collection of music stored on my phone, tablet and laptop. Sunday night's "Cruising America" program on the True Oldies Channel is usually the best times to listen to 50's and 60's music without any 70's or 80's music. Sunday's "Cruising America" playlist (from about 8 pm to midnight CDT) reminds me of Wolfman Jack's music out of Del Rio, Texas -- actually Mexico station XERF that we could pick up at nights in OKC and around the nation.)

Here's a link to Wikipedia's True Oldies Channel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_True_Oldies_Channel
    Here's a link to Scott Shannon's wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Shannon

And again, here's YOUR computer link to the True Oldies MUSIC Steam: http://player.streamtheworld.com/_pl...=8669&nid=2920

Also here's a link to Jukebox hits from 1940 through 1999 (top 40 or country, take your pick, choose your year): Upchucky.com: http://www.upchucky.com/ (low/medium fidelity)

The True Oldie's 99.7 is a lot more fun to listen to than KOMA (except for the nostalgic voices of Ronnie Kaye and Freddy Hendrickson from WKY's rock 'n roll days).

Oh, by the way, 99.7 plays Contemporary Christian music every Sunday morning until noon (I think that's the time they go back to the True Oldies Channel).

18. Default Re: 99.7fm

I listen to the TOC most of the time. I love the true variety of oldies. We live near Hefner & Rockwell and I have no problem picking it up in the garage or on the shower radio. In the cars I easily get the TOC in Edmond.

Nowadays, TOC seems to be as KOMAtose as the other station, playing too much of the same stuff, while KOMA has improved a bit. The nonsense is driving me to country music!

Anyway, I heard Eggman on there recently. Anyone know if this is his new gig?

If you want a sophisticated sound that feels good, try 105.3 The Martini.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezrablum View Post
    Aside from KOMA's less than stellar set playlists, I don't care for the dj's and there is an annoying echo effect every time they talk. This compounds their already lackluster radio personalities.
    While certainly this wouldn't be for everybody, there is a reason and a bit of heritage behind this.

I don't know if KOMA did this back in the day, but WABC, one of the most influential radio stations in the US at the time, ran their signal through a plate reverb to make the music "pop". This carries over to when the jocks speak. I don't know if KOMA does this via digital means or if they actually have an old plate or spring-type reverb they still use.

I can't speak, however, for the rotating playlist (an artifact of paying attention to statistics that people listen to a station on average for x time). And, everyone has preferences, but most of the jocks there really are local legends. Radio has just changed for the worse IMO.

I do look forward to trying out this channel though! I really don't care for so much of a 70s and 80s rotation when in an oldies mood.

This is one of may favorite stations. I live in Mustang so signal is not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezrablum View Post
    Spot On, [VirtuallyGrumpySarcasticHunter S.T-son.Av/Post#9 =] . . .
    On a related, yet equally meaningless and non-productive, side-note, I tuned-in to the "re-programming" at the AggieStateWydeStation (the SPY?actKOSU).

Liked the first Techno-Bop/Urban Replay of Something "New".
    Liked the second Virtual Replay of the SOS a little less.
    Proved the veracity of ThirdTimeZdCharm when I kicked the dial (metaphorically speaking, of course) back to that other PBS affiliate down in Norman and thereabouts.

Oh. Wait. KOSU is nowhere near 99.7 on the FM Dial.
    Who makes those "Seek" buttons anyways?
    I think they need a lawsuit.
    (like for referring to an av from a couple of years ago =)

also 99.7 FM is the home of Bishop McGuinness Football Games

25. Default Re: 99.7fm

I wonder if they boosted power or something. We went to Tulsa a few days ago and kept them on at least halfway there.

Thread Information