Widgets Magazine

Thread: Cannabis

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Time to Legalize Cannabis for recreational and medicinal use.

Quote Originally Posted by jmpokc1957 View Post
    Here in Oregon we've had medical marijuana since 1998. It was instituted by initiative petition/ballot measure. A person may become a registered user by a doctors prescription. There are also registered growers who can grow for someone who is not physically able to grow their own. There are about 50,000 registered users in a state of about 3.8 million people.

It hasn't caused any great problems that I am aware except for some confusion on the part of law enforcement. Before arresting or raiding someone they have to check if a permit has been issued. It turns out you have a better chance of criminals breaking into your house looking for pot than the police if they( criminals ) know you're a user.

Having grown up in OKC in the 60's and 70's and observing the debate over the years what surprises me is that no clear consensus, either pro or con, has been reached. I would of thought some sort of conclusion would of been reached by now.

My guess is that more and more of the states will be begin to allow it's use and that it will likely begin with the medical marijuana. If enough states are allowing its usage, and perhaps taxing it, the federal government will have to eventually accommodate it in some way. The US Attorney in Oregon has issued reminders that it is still a violation of federal law, but they don't have the resources to deal with it.

As an aside, back around '75 or '76, my friends and I would go shooting at a range at Lake Stanley Draper. The woods there were full of a plant that sure looked like marijuana and sure smelled like it when it was burned. We thought we had hit the jackpot! Turns out it was just Locoweed. Absolutely worthless!

Finally, summer in Oregon. Always starts July 5th.

Mike

so 50k people in oregon could be arrested at any time by the feds

Default Re: Time to Legalize Cannabis for recreational and medicinal use.

Theoretically yes, they could be arrested for possession on a federal level, but it is more likely that people would be arrested for selling some larger quantity. The medical marijuana law has some "weird" quirks which I'll try and explain although I don't really understand all the details.

The marijuana cannot be sold. You can however, have someone grow it for you but you have to supply the seeds or plants. Where you get the seeds or plants has never really been explained. People can register as growers in order to grow for someone else. The amount you can grow and have on hand is limited. Well, it is likely the grower will have an excess amount on hand. What do they do with it? If they decide to sell it then that's where they would be likely to run afoul of the feds.

There are buyers clubs where people can pay a membership fee and receive marijuana. Many of these "clubs" have set up store fronts and have quite a selection to offer their "members".
    Many communities have refused to allow siting permits or business licenses to these storefront operations and have cited the federal prohibition as the reason for doing so.

It's very interesting how this thing has evolved. It seems to have developed a life of it's own.

It looks like we'll have another legalization measure on the ballot this November if the petitions are approved.

When we moved to Oregon from OKC in 1976 we experienced significant culture shock. It's only been getting worse. Get me back to the south!

Thread Information