Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Internet Gives Harassed Bus Monitor a $20,000 Vacation

1. Default Re: Internet Gives Harassed Bus Monitor a $20,000 Vacation

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    It's a gift, so the first lifetime $5MM is not taxed.
    Isn't the individual 'gift' exemption limited to $13,000 (in a single gift from a single person). The CEO of the company said they have to report the transaction but only those who gave more than $13,000 (?) would be subject to the gift tax. Considering then average gift was only $20, I think virtually everyone is safe.

She can deposit it and pay no taxes, but any earnings from the money will be subject to taxes.

Default Re: Internet Gives Harassed Bus Monitor a $20,000 Vacation

I read somewhere that it won't be taxed. I am not sure what the reason was though. Good for her.

You're correct tho - earnings on that will be taxed.

3. Default Re: Internet Gives Harassed Bus Monitor a $20,000 Vacation

Quote Originally Posted by bretthexum View Post
    I read somewhere that it won't be taxed. I am not sure what the reason was though. Good for her.

You're correct tho - earnings on that will be taxed.
    I'm no CPA, but I believe it all counts as individual gifts - which are not taxed.

I can throw a big birthday party and everyone shows up and gives me gifts ranging from cash to merchandise. Those are not subject to income tax regardless how many I get, as long as no one gift is worth more than $13,000 (?).

Can any verify or dispute?

Meanwhile, the guy who got much of his face ate off isn't getting much money. It sure doesn't pay to be homeless and in big trouble. Maybe the bus lady will share some of her money with him.

Quote Originally Posted by bunty
    Meanwhile, the guy who got much of his face ate off isn't getting much money. It sure doesn't pay to be homeless and in big trouble. Maybe the bus lady will share some of her money with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    There's something sad but very revealing about this comment. There's a social experiment making the rounds right now where people are shown a picture of a homeless man on a cold wintry street cuddling with a stray dog. Everyone goes "awww" and feels sad for the dog. Almost no one ever comments about the homeless man. I'm not sure what it means, but it is kind of disturbing to think about.

7. Default Re: Internet Gives Harassed Bus Monitor a $20,000 Vacation

I think we could all point to a thousand examples of things 'worse' than what this bus monitor had to endure - but that doesn't make the message here any less special - thousands of people coming together to express support for her and to everyone who has suffered both mentally and physically at the hands of bullies. I think its something most everyone can relate to and she handled it spectacularly. It doesn't take anything away from victims of other tragic and horrific circumstances but it is reassuring on this one topic.

Thread Information