Widgets Magazine

Thread: Hefner Parkway Extension

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Re: Hefner Parkway Extension

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Does anybody think it is time to extend Hefner Parkway around Edmond and connect it to I-35 or is it too soon. I think it isn't given that the city of Edmond is nearing 100,000 people and is a b**ch to get in and out of. Especialy if you live in west Edmond. Just curious what anybody else thinks and if that might happen soon (maybe in the next ten years or so).
    I'm not trying to be rude, but Norman which is larger than Edmond doesn't have nearly the highway access Edmond and that area does. Like others have said...we are pretty good on highways. I would argue we need an Eastern Loop from Norman to I-44/I-35 eventually, but would gladly give that up for commuter rail service.

Default Re: Hefner Parkway Extension

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    I'm not trying to be rude, but Norman which is larger than Edmond doesn't have nearly the highway access Edmond and that area does. Like others have said...we are pretty good on highways. I would argue we need an Eastern Loop from Norman to I-44/I-35 eventually, but would gladly give that up for commuter rail service.
    Edmond and North OKC are served by 4 highways (Broadway Extension, Lake Hefner Pkwy, Kilpatrick Turnpike, and 35). Norman is served by one.

Heck, Broadway is practically empty outside of rush hour. I'm still questioning why a local commuter route that dead ends in a suburb is 8 lanes while I-35, a major national highway, is only 6 lanes. The portion just south of downtown is now the busiest stretch of freeway in the state (somewhere around 135K/day).

Traffic is a b**** in Edmond because the good folks there have not mastered the concept behind synchronized stoplights.

Default Re: Hefner Parkway Extension

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Edmond and North OKC are served by 4 highways (Broadway Extension, Lake Hefner Pkwy, Kilpatrick Turnpike, and 35). Norman is served by one.

Heck, Broadway is practically empty outside of rush hour. I'm still questioning why a local commuter route that dead ends in a suburb is 8 lanes while I-35, a major national highway, is only 6 lanes. The portion just south of downtown is now the busiest stretch of freeway in the state (somewhere around 135K/day).

Traffic is a b**** in Edmond because the good folks there have not mastered the concept behind synchronized stoplights.
    That's a rather unfair analysis. First, if we are comparing Edmond with Norman, then let's compare Edmond with Norman. If you want to use Edmond and North OKC, then it would be fair to compare that with Norman and Moore. Second, you left out Hwy 9.

Edmond is served by Broadway Extension and I-35 and by Kilpatrick Turnpike.

Norman is served by I-35 and Hwy 9.

Thread Information