Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Dowell Center

Default Re: Dowell Center

I'm not sure why these changes were made but about two months ago Dowell submitted a design that showed brick on the east facade; this would be uncovered as the old Globe Life building was demolished by SandRidge. Wherein that entire side of the building had been blocked, it would now be exposed from the 13th floor up.

Brick is used on the three other sides. The original design also showed windows being added in the same pattern as the other sides of the building; now he's going to put up metal panels that look similar instead:

NO windows on the east side? They already cut holes for windows!!

Quote Originally Posted by wschnitt View Post
    NO windows on the east side? They already cut holes for windows!!
    They want to put metal panels where the windows were supposed to go.

Then why cut the holes in the first place?

They must have run into some issues while working on that facade.

However, I don't know why that would necessitate the switch from brick to EIFS.

Then why cut the holes in the first place?
    If I had to make a wild guess - Dowell thinks Sandridge should pay for the windows (or a portion of the cost - which probably came in over budget) since their construction is responsible for the situation and Sandridge doesn't want to pay. The solution - put up sheets of metal facing the new Sandridge campus.

FYI - I totally made up that scenario with no proof or anything. I am just offereing it up as one of many possible explinations.

Blog Entries

Is it metal panels between windows or covering the windows? In the drawing it looks like there are still windows, but above/below them will be metal panels instead of some type of brick or other solid. Looks like windows aren't floor to ceiling, rather just mid-wall and up.

Rover, in a separate application (which is now not available on-line) it said:

delete previously approved window systems in upper levels of east elevation; install metal panel systems in lieu of windows in same configuration and location at rear elevation.

Blog Entries

I thought the posting at the top was current and showed both windows and panels. I thought that since it also shows EIFS, which I thought was a change from brick. So, I guess the original was a combination of windows with metal panel system and now you are saying it is totally metal panel and no glass at all.

Yes, I believe the original plan was to put in glass windows but now they are just going to have it all be metal panels that simulate the windows on the other three sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Yes, I believe they the original plan was to put in glass windows but now they are just going to have it all be metal panels that simulate the windows on the other three sides.
    That reminds me of the Simpsons episode when the nuclear plant has a fire drill and the workers discover the emergency exits are only painted on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Yes, I believe the original plan was to put in glass windows but now they are just going to have it all be metal panels that simulate the windows on the other three sides.
    Is there any legal basis for denying their change? Sounds like a hokey and cheap work-around.

From today:

See the window openings? Why even cut them??

See the window openings? Why even cut them??
    It's not like they can't fill the hole. As its been said before, they probably encountered unforeseen issues and expenses once started and had to go to plan B.

Windows went in, I am not sure what all that metal panel stuff was all about. But on the East face, there are most certainly windows.

I think they cut windows into the top three levels then decided it was either too expensive or difficult for the rest of the floors, so the idea was to have panels that look like windows and not be able to tell the difference. Of course, it would be obvious in the dark.

OHH, so under the top 3 floors there will be the metal panels?

OHH, so under the top 3 floors there will be the metal panels?
    I believe so. Photos from last week showed they had not cut any more window openings after the top three floors.

If I understand this correctly, that means floors 16-18 will have windows on the east side but 13-15 will just have solid panels that mimic the windows above.

20. Default Re: Dowell Center

I forgot to post this ... talked to Dowell a couple weeks ago. Those are windows on the top floors. He reduced the number of floors where windows are being added because, he says, he's being told the SandRidge amenities building next door will be higher than first planned. I talked to Greg Dewey and he said he was unaware of any such change, says it's still planned to top out at 5 1/2 stories high... so not sure what to think.

Is the amenities building going to be touching Dowell Center?

I've also heard that Dowell plans some large signage. Not sure what it will say.

What ever happened to Dowell's plans for residential?

Seems like a good time to get started on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I forgot to post this ... talked to Dowell a couple weeks ago. Those are windows on the top floors. He reduced the number of floors where windows are being added because, he says, he's being told the SandRidge amenities building next door will be higher than first planned. I talked to Greg Dewey and he said he was unaware of any such change, says it's still planned to top out at 5 1/2 stories high... so not sure what to think.
    I think this was purely a cost reduction move... That they found out cutting those windows were more cost than worth

Otherwise, why would he also switch to stucco from brick?

25. Default Re: Dowell Center

Boondoggle.

Thread Information