Widgets Magazine

Thread: Oklahoma City Tennis Center

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: World Class Tennis Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Pete sounds like a great idea. We have adequate facilities at Will Rogers Park. Did we use to host a Virginia Slims at one time and Serena and Venus (Williams' sisters) got their start here in OKC; then, some corporation got into the act, a dispute evolved and the whole thing went somewhere--like Memphnis?

1. A first class Tennis facility at Will Rogers.

What about other areas of town like Lake Hefner, Stockyard City & south OKC? Lake Hefner has potential and we definitely need to invest in the Stockyards area since the old Stockyards Coliseum burned in 1970.

My dad worked in the Stockyards area as a butcher for Armour & Company back in the 1950s; it was referred to as "Packingtown."

old coliseum pics:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=stockya...search&shash=1

Many of you are too young to remember the old Friday night wrestling matches which were held at the old coliseum, many of the employees of the Stockyards went to the wrestling matches in this old ancient building. The villain & hero wrestlers like Great Bolo (mashed wrestler), Danny Hodge, Angelo Cevoli, Ali & Hassam Bay), Karl Krazier, Haystack Cowhoon... (Sorry for reminising and getting off topic!)

There was some much gum stuck on the concrete steps of the structure--it probably bonded the place from falling apart. It was a magnificant structure and whenever I'm in Fort Worth and see the 'Cowtown Coliseum' http://www.txgenweb.org/postcards/To...iseum1940s.jpg it reminds me of the OKC's Stockyard Coliseum.

We need to rebuild many of these areas of OKC which had their own identity.

Anyway, I'm down with the tennis facility.
    I couldn't agree more. I'm not a tennis player or fan, but this is a great idea. I love what's happening to bricktown/downtown, but don't understand why some feel as though everything needs to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I'm not a tennis player or fan, but this is a great idea. I love what's happening to bricktown/downtown, but don't understand why some feel as though everything needs to go there.
    Because without a healthy core, a city isn't healthy. WE are becoming healthy because we are re-investing back in the core. Urban Renewal devastated our city. Once the core is more stable, I imagine more investment in other districts will happen organically.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Because without a healthy core, a city isn't healthy. WE are becoming healthy because we are re-investing back in the core. Urban Renewal devastated our city. Once the core is more stable, I imagine more investment in other districts will happen organically.
    So you support having a healthy core while the rest decays and dies, interesting!!

Thread Information