Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: River Towers

Blog Entries

Default Re: River Towers

Lol. Glad I have JTF to let everyone know what I think.

Actually, I have advocated more organic growth of our downtown neighborhoods. Am in our NYC apt now and I see no planned urban development around me and have been walking most of Manhatten.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Lol. Glad I have JTF to let everyone know what I think.

Actually, I have advocated more organic growth of our downtown neighborhoods. Am in our NYC apt now and I see no planned urban development around me and have been walking most of Manhatten.
    You told us what you think - I don't have to make it up. As for NYC not being planned, you need to learn the history of NYC because that comment is crazy talk.

You know, scratch what I just wrote. If we both now agree that urbanism is more than population, tall buildings, and diversity then I am good with the debate has accomplished.

4. Default Re: River Towers

Except you still have missed the point. Why don't you start by checking the dictionary on urbanisn first.

ur·ban·ism   /ˈɜrbəˌnɪzəm/ Show Spelled[ur-buh-niz-uhm] Show IPA
    noun
    1. the way of life of people who live in a large city.
    2. urbanization.
    3. city planning.

Now, if you can define some little rural farm town as a large city, then fine. Otherwise, you're still wrong.

Try looking up New Urbanism.

Http://architecture.about.com/od/com...g/newurban.htm

The population of Seaside, FL is 2,000 (aka - a small town)

Blog Entries

Perfect. It describes your vision of small town OK as being the urban model for OKC. So, under the definition you prefer, you shouldn't have any issues with say Edmond and it's downtown. Or Bethany. Etc.etc. Density, etc doesn't matter. Thanks for clarifying. That said, on the thread topic, I hope the river develops with more density and services than Healdton.

I hope it does too, which brings us full circle back to the renderings that show 80% open space in the area around the towers.

8. Default Re: River Towers

You just made an arguement for us and against you with that image.

How do you figure? Structures surrounded by open space is suburban and open space surrounded by strucutres is urban. The open space surrounding suburban strucutres is land that must be traversed (aka - negative space). Open space surrounded by buildings is dwelling space (aka - positive space).

That also depends on the college quad, I have been to a couple where the quad was either ill conceived or so far from most of the active parts of the campus they were deserted unless their was scheduled activities that necessitated using the quad.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    That also depends on the college quad, I have been to a couple where the quad was either ill conceived or so far from most of the active parts of the campus they were deserted unless their was scheduled activities that necessitated using the quad.
    The caption is refering to the quad depicted in the picture. The quad refers to the open space between the buildings marked "positive space".

Thread Information