Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Campbell Park (dead)

Default Re: New 300-unit condo project for Auto Allley?

For downtown to be truly successful, we are going to have to bring in more units for rent. We need at least a 1,000 more units and 2,000 would be better. If we could get units that the masses could afford then the need for retail would increase and this would allow OKC to really be in the hunt for the retailers that we all talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by trison View Post
    For downtown to be truly successful, we are going to have to bring in more units for rent. We need at least a 1,000 more units and 2,000 would be better. If we could get units that the masses could afford then the need for retail would increase and this would allow OKC to really be in the hunt for the retailers that we all talk about.
    That would solve a lot of issues. With more people living downtown in rentals, which allows people to live there without significant financial risk and without the income to afford purchasing housing, we get the numbers needed to draw retail and commercial businesses downtown that will help make the area attractive for home purchasers.

But, I do think that to be a vibrant community, downtown needs residents of all income levels, including middle and high end. The current developers may be premature in their planning, but there's nothing wrong with having housing available in the current price range.

Yeah, I have a lot of friends that want to move downtown. They don't want to buy. They say there are very few options. Most are full.

I'd love to be downtown or Midtown. Just out of our price range.

Yep, couldn't agree more

I don't recall the name of it, but does the tall residential tower near the memorial and the bus transfer center stay full? I would think the views from the upper floors could be somewhat stellar.

Default Campbell Park

May or may not be something in the works here, located from 11th to 16th along Broadway.

http://www.okc.biz/article/10-21-201...d_to_that.aspx
    Last edited by Pete; 02-07-2011 at 03:12 PM.

Default Re: Auto Alley - Campbell Park Project

link isn't working for me, can you just copy and paste the article and give them credit by citing the source?

http://www.okc.biz/Home.aspx
    Pamela A. Grady

Campbell Park Project
    Campbell Street

The Plan: In 2006, attorneys Bert Belanger and Shannon Self, dba Sebe Holdings LLC, began investing millions to assemble, scrape and prepare a six-acre parcel with frontage on Campbell Park for high-density rental housing that would serve Downtown, the Capitol and the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center. Eleventh Street properties and alleyways were vacated, which included removing an abandoned nursing home, a junkyard and dilapidated housing for sex offenders.

The Problem: Belanger says the duo has been persistent, yet patient in its search for potential buyers to develop the inner-city infill redevelopment project.

The Prospect: In September, owners of the six acres authorized an aggressive campaign to market and sell the land to a strong regional apartment developer. Several candidates have been identified and already expressed interest.

“This six-acre parcel ... positioned as the north ‘bookend’ of Automobile Alley, will take time, but will be a spectacular neighborhood,” Belanger says.

He says the tract, located within TIF District No. 2, is eligible for significant assistance from the city of OKC. The city already has pledged to create a “quiet zone” along the railroad tracks from 16th to 7th streets to make this project and other large-scale developments possible in Automobile Alley and the medical business district.

11. Default Re: Auto Alley - Campbell Park Project

So...basically nothing to report.

12. Default Re: Auto Alley - Campbell Park Project

Exactly. There are at least four other projects out there like this one. If it were 2007, it would be a go.

Don't you think a quiet zone HAS to be accomplished before anything in that area is a go? Those properties would be immediately adjacent to where the trains are required to whistle right now. I wouldn't do anything, were I a developer, until the quiet zone was a sure thing. I actually like train noise, and what we have where we live is very tolerable, but that location would have defeaning whistle noise.
    '

14. Default Re: Auto Alley - Campbell Park Project

Yeah, people need to realize it's much worse when a train horn goes off against your bedroom wall.

As for this, I'm glad it's still fresh. Interesting that he's potentially going to get some regional apartment developers involved--I hope the resulting cookie cutter development is urban at least. Good news none the less.

Default Re: Midtown Update!!

I had posted earlier this summer about hearing there would be a new apartment complex going in on the land Bert Belanger is involved with. I was told the apartment complex was being built by a development company who specializes in small market cities such as Little Rock, Oklahoma City, Omaha, etc. and that this could possibly be the nicest apartment complex in the city. I will ask what the name of the company was.

Just so people know, the Berlanger/Self property being discussed is about 4.5 acres on the east side of Broadway and south of NW 12th. It's a fantastic piece of property that actually has a park as a buffer between it and Broadway.

It's been tagged as "Campbell Park" and there is an existing thread here: http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=23435&page=1

I'm confused. Is the Campbell Park where the rumored apartment that skyline mentioned would be located?

Is the Campbell Park where the rumored apartment that skyline mentioned would be located?
    Yes, possibly.

It was originally proposed as condos.

Ah, thank you. Hope it actually comes to fruition.

Thread Information