Widgets Magazine

Thread: Costco "Considering" Oklahoma, however?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Costco "Considering" Oklahoma, however?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    OK does NOT have anything similar to Costco, and don't say SAMs, not close.
    Maybe I’m wrong? I have an open mind. What makes Costco different?
    What can I buy at Costco that I can’t already buy somewhere in the OKC area?

Thanks

2. Default Re: Costco "Considering" Oklahoma, however?

Another law needs to be changed as well. In most all the other states if not all of them, places like Costco, Sam's Sears, etc can sell eyeglasses. Here you have to go to an optical shop or your own optician or ophthalmologist to get your glasses. I saw some beautiful frames I liked at Costco recently, and bought some previous glasses at a Sam's in Joplin. If we are going to get some of the shopping choices like we want like Costco etc, we are going to have to change the laws to be able to sell alcohol at places other than package stores and buy glasses at regular retailers.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerQueen View Post
    Another law needs to be changed as well. In most all the other states if not all of them, places like Costco, Sam's Sears, etc can sell eyeglasses. Here you have to go to an optical shop or your own optician or ophthalmologist to get your glasses. I saw some beautiful frames I liked at Costco recently, and bought some previous glasses at a Sam's in Joplin. If we are going to get some of the shopping choices like we want like Costco etc, we are going to have to change the laws to be able to sell alcohol at places other than package stores and buy glasses at regular retailers.
    Wine yes, but I'll leave my eyesight to the professionals.

Might be getting a bit off topic. I think the best reason to change our laws is perception. I've spent much time out of state, and know most places I've been have had complicated and strange liquor laws. The whole low point beer thing is really what we need to get rid of. I think if we allow grocery/convenience stores to sell normal beer/wine, and allow liquor stores to refrigerate their beer then everyone wins but the distributors. No reason to change our laws that exclude national liquor store chains. Low point beer doesn't taste good because brewing is an art, and alcohol content is a side effect. Final argument is: If i go to the liquor store and buy a six pack of beer i know how too cool it quickly (ice and salt). There's a good chance that this beer is skunky from inconsistent temperatures. I could just as easily buy a bottle of everclear and drink it on ice and get really drunk.

My real point is that 3.2 beer tastes like crap, outsiders agree, and does nothing to keep our population more ethical than the rest of the USA. We can't fall for the lies of the distributors. We will have the same problems as a community with addiction and underage drinking. Most people who buy beer/wine want a tasty drink, and is hard to find here in Oklahoma.

5. Default Re: Costco "Considering" Oklahoma, however?

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    I think that Costco has opticians who can check your eyes if you want them to, but most people use Sam's, Costco, etc to get frames at a reduced price. It doesn't take a medical doctor to fit frames. I wouldn't ever go to an untrained person to check my eyes, but to help me pick out frames maybe. Most employees that work in the optical department at a store like that have been trained to help you pick out frames and fit them.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    They are setup just like an Eye Masters, Eyemart Express, etc. An optician/ophthalmologist leases the space adjacent to the optical section. I bought my contacts at Sam's after going to my regular optician that doesn't sell contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    COSTCO in 2010 achieved $825 per sf of sales which is pretty impressive for their 160,000 sf stores. Sam's was $616. As an aside Trader Joe's is estimated to be about $1750 per sf which is more than twice what Whole Foods achieves.
    I think what drives that is number of locations, here in Austin area we have two Costco stores, on north and one far south. From Round Rock to San Marcos there are five Sam's club locations, so they definitely divide up the market area per store a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    To grow so big Costco has obviously done something right but from your post it sounds like they might sale higher end products.
    Is there enough wealth in the OKC area to support the Costco way of doing business?
    There isn't as much difference between Costco and Sam's Club as some make it out to be, there is quite a bit of overlap in some products like you have with any similar type of stores. There are products available at one and not the other, that is why we are members at both and we shop at both pretty evenly. There are some nicer products available at Costco but Sam's has their share of nice stuff at times as well.

I do know that if we moved back to OKC and there wasn't one there we would head to the one in Dallas every so often....kind of like we do with Braum's now and a trip to DFW or OKC. We are moving to Denver in the near future, they have them there already so it isn't anything we have to worry about.

7. Default Re: Costco "Considering" Oklahoma, however?

When we visited the Costco store in Dallas recently, there were many similar items to Sam's, but many cool items that I wanted to purchase but couldn't because I wasn't a member. The store was much better stocked with a variety of things. I loved the look of the store. It was fun just to look through the store. I would become a member if they came here.

What makes Costco different?
    COSTCO in 2010 achieved $825 per sf of sales which is pretty impressive for their 160,000 sf stores. Sam's was $616. As an aside Trader Joe's is estimated to be about $1750 per sf which is more than twice what Whole Foods achieves.

COSTCO philosophy is to buy a relatively few products at a low price, mark them up 14% or 15%, and sell a bunch of each. There is usually not a lot of variety nor is there much in the way of convenience, comfort or help to the shopper.

The small business owner is the preferred customer type. I remember one example I read that COSTCO had made a special purchase of Polo shirts that were priced about 40% less than normal but still relatively expensive for a shirt.

The house brand is Kirkland Signature.

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post

COSTCO philosophy is to buy a relatively few products at a low price, mark them up 14% or 15%, and sell a bunch of each. There is usually not a lot of variety nor is there much in the way of convenience, comfort or help to the shopper.

The small business owner is the preferred customer type. I remember one example I read that COSTCO had made a special purchase of Polo shirts that were priced about 40% less than normal but still relatively expensive for a shirt.

The house brand is Kirkland Signature.
    To grow so big Costco has obviously done something right but from your post it sounds like they might sale higher end products.
    Is there enough wealth in the OKC area to support the Costco way of doing business?

Really Oklahoma City should be a perfect market for COSTCO because there are so many small businesses here. They're known for selling higher end or maybe better described as high quality products at significant value. Still if someone wouldn't buy a high quality item even at a discounted price then he or she is in the wrong place.

COSTCO also has a smaller prototype for a business center where they concentrate on the small business customer that is buying products to be resold.

I think wherever COSTCO goes in our area the store will do very well.

Maybe I’m wrong? I have an open mind. What makes Costco different?

Thanks
    Non-poverty hourly employees?

Thread Information