Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Spy

1. Default Re: The Spy

It appears that the Citadel version of the Spy will soon be broadcasting on 96.9 FM in some capacity. Probably on the HD2 side channel, can't be sure since they are rather cryptic on their Facebook ang blog about this. Obviously there is little chance that they would flip BOB FM to the Spy. I'm sure Citadel is hoping that being on HD2 will help with the Norman market (which currently can't pick it up on 105.3) as well as Midwest City, Southside, etc. But this of course means listeners must purchase an HD radio...to get a station that might not be on the air much longer given it's lack of local advertising support.

The links:

http://blog.therealspyfm.com/

http://www.facebook.com/TheRealSpyFM

2. Default Re: The Spy

96.9 is not showing up as an HD signal but I guess that could change. There way too many dinosaur rock stations in OKC so it makes sense that one of them change. 105.3 can't cover the metro.

Chris
    www.radiookc.com

Default Re: The Spy

those links can't be found now. interesting... maybe it's just a glitch.

4. Default Re: The Spy

Those links were working when I posted them, but you are right as of 6:25 pm today they are both gone. That is too much of a coincidence to just be an accident imho. Either some kind of change is afoot or this radio ruse continues to run it's ridiculous course to nowhere.

Why not flip BOB to the Spy? I like Classic Rock but as others said OKC has enough classic rock stations. they could also bring back Jack FM to the metro on 96.9 and the Spy on HD2.

6. Default Re: The Spy

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    Why not flip BOB to the Spy? I like Classic Rock but as others said OKC has enough classic rock stations. they could also bring back Jack FM to the metro on 96.9 and the Spy on HD2.
    I never said that BOB should not be flipped to the Spy, Soonerman.

In fact, the Spy is the only station I listen to. In my post above I simply offered my opinion that: "Obviously there is little chance that they would flip BOB FM to the Spy." (Even though I would more than welcome that change.) I was simply pointing out the unlikelihood of this happening due to certain business aspects. In particular, the fact that Citadel is finding it impossible to sell advertising time on the Spy due to many if not all previous Spy clients siding with Ferris in the aborted purchase of the signal.

Maybe this could be overcome with the larger broadcast capabilities of 96.9, which would open up many areas to sell to that can't be reached now, but they may feel the same way about Citadel as well.

Apart from that, flippping BOB to the Spy is inherently a major risk in and of itself because of many other reasons that basically amount to "safe sells". Which makes Jack FM a good idea.

Just like a lot people I will be really surprised if Citadel puts the Spy on 96.9, but it seems that is what they were hinting at in the blogposts that have since been removed.

In any case I hope they do it.

7. Default Re: The Spy

Quote Originally Posted by lake hefner breeze View Post
    I never said that BOB should not be flipped to the Spy, Soonerman.

In fact, the Spy is the only station I listen to. In my post above I simply offered my opinion that: "Obviously there is little chance that they would flip BOB FM to the Spy." (Even though I would more than welcome that change.) I was simply pointing out the unlikelihood of this happening due to certain business aspects. In particular, the fact that Citadel is finding it impossible to sell advertising time on the Spy due to many if not all previous Spy clients siding with Ferris in the aborted purchase of the signal.

Maybe this could be overcome with the larger broadcast capabilities of 96.9, which would open up many areas to sell to that can't be reached now, but they may feel the same way about Citadel as well.

Apart from that, flippping BOB to the Spy is inherently a major risk in and of itself because of many other reasons that basically amount to "safe sells". Which makes Jack FM a good idea.

Just like a lot people I will be really surprised if Citadel puts the Spy on 96.9, but it seems that is what they were hinting at in the blogposts that have since been removed.

In any case I hope they do it.
    I think that Citadel blew it bigtime by trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the listeners. They are extremely
    brand loyal and it shows. They would have been much better off taking the "Spy" brand off the air and just running
    some sort of alt format. Listeners would have been aware that Ferris exited but still heard their music on the air even if
    it wasnt "the Spy".They had a chance to build a relationship with the listeners that were on 105.3 but they thought
    they were idiots and wouldnt notice the difference (radio groups think that quite often).

96.9 is not "owned" by Citadel and I am thinking the actual owner in Enid would have to buy in to any format change.

As far as "Jack" goes, it is a satellite format delivered by Dial Global Radio Networks and it would be a cost saving measure as
    "Bob" has actual local talent on the air.

Chris
    http://www.radiookc.com

8. Default Re: The Spy

The Citadel Spy has flipped to 105.3 "The Martini". Playing Sinatra and other standards.
    Happened around 6pm Friday evening. So all those Facebook posts where they made it look like they were headed to 96.9 were just to annoy Ferris...and from reading some of his Facebook updates, it worked. People will say he won in the end, but nobody won anything here. Just lots of lessons learned about how much corporate radio sucks.

This may be a stunt (if it isn't, then demo-wise it's nuts), but they have already put more work into the imaging on this than anything that was on for the past few months so...

I like hearing Billie Holiday on the radio, though.

more here
    http://radioinsight.com/

9. Default Re: The Spy

Quote Originally Posted by lake hefner breeze View Post
    The Citadel Spy has flipped to 105.3 "The Martini". Playing Sinatra and other standards.
    Happened around 6pm Friday evening. So all those Facebook posts where they made it look like they were headed to 96.9 were just to annoy Ferris...and from reading some of his Facebook updates, it worked. People will say he won in the end, but nobody won anything here. Just lots of lessons learned about how much corporate radio sucks.

This may be a stunt (if it isn't, then demo-wise it's nuts), but they have already put more work into the imaging on this than anything that was on for the past few months so...

I like hearing Billie Holiday on the radio, though.

more here
    http://radioinsight.com/
    It's possible that Ferris was in talks with the owner of the 96.9 signal about leasing it as soon as the current LMA with Last Bastard ends and Citadel heard this and put all that stuff out there just to mess with him. This is, after all, the way they work. Ferris can easily afford to pay for leasing 96.9. Or should I say, his Mom can.

10. Default Re: The Spy

Rumor is D Day is coming on Monday with the announcement that Cumulus will buyout Citadel. I would think
    Cumulus would want the LMA. I think if ferris wanted a lease he could get one from the group out of Enid that
    has the new oldies station at 99.3 (i think). It all comes down to $$$$$$.

Chris
    www.radiookc.com

So they change 105.3 to standards, WOW, I wonder what station will change formats next, hope its BOB FM.

12. Default Re: The Spy

Quote Originally Posted by theparkman81 View Post
    So they change 105.3 to standards, WOW, I wonder what station will change formats next, hope its BOB FM.
    Bob and 99.5 - that would make a good combo lease option for an up and coming radio group. Just do something unique.

Chris
    www.radiookc.com

13. Default Re: The Spy

Quote Originally Posted by RadioOKC View Post
    Bob and 99.5 - that would make a good combo lease option for an up and coming radio group. Just do something unique.

Chris
    www.radiookc.com
    I like The Martini. It's "new standards" with not just the old original songs, but contemporary artists singing these tunes, too. It's a narrow niche to be sure, but it's great office music, great chillin' music - I like it!

14. Default Re: The Spy

Totally agree with you Mike. There is nothing wrong with what they are doing. I wonder how many 20something
    spy followers are digging 105.3?

Chris
    www.radiookc.com

Thread Information