Widgets Magazine

Thread: False $75 gift card from Walmart Stores- Fraud?

1. Default False $75 gift card from Walmart Stores- Fraud?

$75 Bonus card with purchase of Wii that is advertised online from Walmart is False. It looked like a Black Friday run, except all the shoppers were angry! Don't waste your time standing in line at 9:00 PM at Oklahoma Walmarts.... Store manager (Roberta) of the Belle Isle Blvd. Walmart, told a lage group of angy shoppers it was due to a "Oklahoma Retail law" that would not allow Walmarts in Oklahoma, to honor the advertised $75 Bonus gift card. They would only issue a $20 card.

Walmart.com - Nintendo Wii Console with Bonus* $75 Gift Card Offer only available in stores from December 17-19
    Check your local store for details

What Retail Law????? Is this not Fraud? or Bait and Switch?

Default Re: False $75 gift card from Walmart Stores- Fraud?

I thought it was common knowledge that Oklahoma only allows up to 20 gift cards for Japanese gaming systems

That's the best ole Roberta could come up with?

3. Default Re: False $75 gift card from Walmart Stores- Fraud?

proequine, you and along with the many other "angry" customers will need to read the very, very fine print. Especially as this promotion, it will declare, "Not available in Oklahoma," and any other states, if any. There is something about profit margins our Oklahoma Laws forbid retailers from going below certain percentages. I can't remember anything more specific than that.

But, these are gift cards and it is obviously a freebie give-away, and I am not aware of a single law that forbids a company/business from giving away freebies, much less a restriction as the 2nd poster mentioned ($20 limit...). Did you try checking with the other Walmart stores? Chances are, you could have just stumbled onto the wrong Walmart store with a very mean (and non-spirited) store manager not wanting to deal with such major loss. Sometime a store manager cares more about himself and his own yearly bonus than the customers paying money into the store.

That is the best that I can remember, think, and come up with for the response. Of course, others will come along to bash me and saying I'm an idiot, etc. Sorry, I'm afraid that I can't be that much more of a help for you, except that your warning of "False Advertising" is a bit misleading.

Thread Information