Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Penn Square Mall update

1. Default Re: Penn Square Mall update

Quote Originally Posted by poe
    i'd like to see a crate & barrel (or something along those lines) at 50 penn place. i think that is a unique destination store that oklahoma city could support. and as far as expansion goes at penn square, some sort of 'lifestyle' area would be nice with outdoor shops and the like connected to the main mall. i'm not sure if that would work, but commercial developers seem to maximize small areas.
    When I was in Fresno last summer we went to a mall that was being added onto but it was a more "lifestyle center" or village concept but still attached to the current mall. I think that could easily be done to Penn Square between the two Dillards and there are already two mall entrances there and several shops that already open to the outside including Garcia's (or its replacement), Mr. Ooleys, and Jos. A Bank.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

2. Default Re: Penn Square Mall update

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    About Heritage Park, one thing you have to remember is that Simon was responsible for the heyday of Heritage Park as well. They built Heritage Park. Heritage Park's problem is 3 fold: 1. Location, 2. Demographics (MWC area), and size (regional malls simply aren't doing well). Also, the fact that Simon had the mall up for sale for 10+ years didn't help matters. Stores typically don't want to locate in a mall where ownership is uncertain.
    yeah i really wish they would do something with this mall... i live right behind it and it is an eyesore everyday driving by the thing... its amazing how much publicity that MWC is getting with all the new businesses being built on 29th street and the new Walmart being built, but yet this thing is just still sitting there unkept... do you know what the new owners are going to do with it?!

3. Default Re: Penn Square Mall update

The Woodlands Mall just north of Houston just added a lifestyle center connected to it with shops and restaurants. It can be done, and done well.

Default Re: Penn Square Mall update

the woodlands is pretty swell.

5. Default Re: Penn Square Mall update

Ditto The Woodlands. Nice.

6. Default Re: Penn Square Mall update

I was at Penn Square on Sunday, and parked in the garage. They had the whole section north and west of the ramps (inside the garage) blocked off. Is this the beginning of adding onto the garage? I sure hope so. With Patrick confirming in another thread that Cheesecake Factory will be moving in on a pad site by the bank on Penn, they need the additional parking.

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok
    I was at Penn Square on Sunday, and parked in the garage. They had the whole section north and west of the ramps (inside the garage) blocked off. Is this the beginning of adding onto the garage? I sure hope so. With Patrick confirming in another thread that Cheesecake Factory will be moving in on a pad site by the bank on Penn, they need the additional parking.
    Nope....levels won't be added to the garage for a few more years. I think the section you're talking about is roped off for Valet Parking. They have Valet Parking year round now.

8. Default Re: Penn Square Mall update

I forgot to mention one thing. While at the mall in Banana Republic, the salesman helping me said that they had just had a sight visit from senior management. They are getting ready to remodel the store. Also, he said they weren't happy so much merchandise was crammed into the little store. He said they told them they would considering separating the men and women's stores to expand.

It was from a salesman, not a manager, but interesting info at least.

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok
    I forgot to mention one thing. While at the mall in Banana Republic, the salesman helping me said that they had just had a sight visit from senior management. They are getting ready to remodel the store. Also, he said they weren't happy so much merchandise was crammed into the little store. He said they told them they would considering separating the men and women's stores to expand.

It was from a salesman, not a manager, but interesting info at least.
    That's cool....both that they're considering expanding, and that they're renovating.

What is going in upstairs across from Fast Forward and just east of Starbucks?

it's time for a newer banana republic.

12. Default Re: Penn Square Mall update

I always thought it was very small for a Banana Republic.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Quote Originally Posted by metro
    What is going in upstairs across from Fast Forward and just east of Starbucks?
    Possibly the Aldo shoe store, since the accessory store is set to open soon.

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Possibly the Aldo shoe store, since the accessory store is set to open soon.
    That's actually going in next to Kirkland's.

Not sure what's going in where Naturalizer used to be. Management hasn't told me yet.

Patrick Guest

I'm thinking Fossil is going to locate a store somewhere since they recently opened one at Woodland Hills.

I'd like to see an Armani Exchange, any word on that Patrick?

It's crazy to see how much Crossroads mall has deteriated. At least I could remember going to thier Gap until 2002. Ever since the mid-90s has the place been going down. The remodling they did in the interior was barely anything. They took out the water fountain and ramp to just carpet floor and elevator.

I'm not young enough to remember this but my parents said once that (mid to early 80s maybe) Penn Sq. mall was pretty outdated and since they had remodled in the 90s the place has been flourishing ever since. Especially after they remodled again in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Armani Exchange is actually starting to locate in fairly small markets. Their newer stores are pretty small.

19. Default Re: Penn Square Mall update

Quote Originally Posted by diesel
    yeah i really wish they would do something with this mall... i live right behind it and it is an eyesore everyday driving by the thing... its amazing how much publicity that MWC is getting with all the new businesses being built on 29th street and the new Walmart being built, but yet this thing is just still sitting there unkept... do you know what the new owners are going to do with it?!
    My father is fairly high up in MWC municipal government, and from what he has told me, the feeling there is that Heritage Park Mall should become Heritage Park Lake.

20. Default Re: Penn Square Mall update

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo
    My father is fairly high up in MWC municipal government, and from what he has told me, the feeling there is that Heritage Park Mall should become Heritage Park Lake.
    i really wish they would whipe out the ghetto ass apartments on 10th between air depot and midwest blvd.. it just breeds drugs and gangs... and makes our city look bad.. i live in mwc...

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by metro
    I'd like to see an Armani Exchange, any word on that Patrick?
    They're not telling me anything else at this point. Although there will be a new upscale retailer new to the Oklahoma market moving into the old Casual Corner space. That will happen later this fall. Not sure what it is yet.

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo
    Can you explain further.....are you being serious or sarcastic? I didn't realize there was a creek running around there anywhere.

23. Default Re: Penn Square Mall update

Quote Originally Posted by okcitian
    I'm not young enough to remember this but my parents said once that (mid to early 80s maybe) Penn Sq. mall was pretty outdated and since they had remodled in the 90s the place has been flourishing ever since. Especially after they remodled again in the late 90s and early 2000s.
    They are right. Penn Square was an outdoor development, (which, btw, if it was built today, we would all think was pretty cool), and was completely turned around with the mall conversion. I remember going to Crossroads when it first opened. People drove from many miles around to see the mall. It truly was impressive at the time.

--------------------

orionsnu Guest

Patrick, with all the talk in the Cheesecake Factory thread I thought we could talk about Penn Square updates here. Any other updates on new stores coming to Penn?

25. Default Re: Penn Square Mall update

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    Can you explain further.....are you being serious or sarcastic? I didn't realize there was a creek running around there anywhere.
    yeah i live in the neighborhood behind it and there are several creeks that run thru the neighborhood and i believe if you walk in one of them you will reach a tunnel that goes under the mall... had friends go in there when i was younger and say its pretty creepy..

Thread Information