Widgets Magazine

Thread: Water rates to increase in Oklahoma City

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Water rates to increase in Oklahoma City

If I understand correctly what they're doing, they are going to build a pipeline from Sardis to connect to the Atoka pipeline. I might be mistaken, but I don't think they are building a complete new pipeline to OKC. The reason it's needed is because they are barred from drawing the lake down below a certain level and therefore, to meet the expected water needs of the future, were looking for more capacity. The only way to do this, without drawing Atoka down too far, is to expand the reach to another body of water. Sardis was available at a relatively bargain price due to the state forfieting on the loan from the Corp of Engineers to build Sardis. Sort of like the county selling off tax forfieted property. The Corp has been trying to get their money back, since the state quit making payments in 1997, and the city was the one to step up and pay it.

The more interesting aspect of the deal is that everyone from the indian tribes to the state legislators from the SE part of the state are now crying fowl. They're claiming they should have the rights to the water. Funny thing, this loan forfieture has been going on for 13 years and none of them have offered to pay it.

Default Re: Water rates to increase in Oklahoma City

Quote Originally Posted by Wambo36 View Post
    If I understand correctly what they're doing, they are going to build a pipeline from Sardis to connect to the Atoka pipeline. I might be mistaken, but I don't think they are building a complete new pipeline to OKC. The reason it's needed is because they are barred from drawing the lake down below a certain level and therefore, to meet the expected water needs of the future, were looking for more capacity. The only way to do this, without drawing Atoka down too far, is to expand the reach to another body of water. ...
    The articles I've read indicated that a new pipeline is needed (instead of an extension/tapping into the existing pipeline) due to capacity issues (Atoka pipeline can't carry the volume of water needed). Since the cost is in excess of $2 BILLION, there sure better be a brand new pipeline!

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just build a new lake here??

Thread Information