Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Ed's

1. Default Re: Big Ed's

Fast food ultimately killed him. Good burgers he left behind. My parents met at the one in Del City on Sunnylane. Because of him, I was born and am here now on OKCTalk.

Default Re: Big Ed's

Back in the day he had many commercials that ran on local TV. He was always in them. At the height of his business he had restaurants all around the city.

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    Back in the day he had many commercials that ran on local TV. He was always in them. At the height of his business he had restaurants all around the city.
    I kind of had a feeling thats how it used to be. It is almost depressing that it has dwindled to only one location.

guessing this is him.

Wow... I thought he died a LONG time ago!

6. Default Re: Big Ed's

I thought the biggest burger was made with biggest meat..not with several smaller meats.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I thought the biggest burger was made with biggest meat..not with several smaller meats.
    Nope it was with several small burgers. I at one once in Norman but I was young. Their food was good but as they chain grew the quality started to fall. When he only had a couple of places you could get a burger and a bunch of fries pretty cheap then they started cutting back on the fries. After a while it was like an other burger place.

"Big Ed" also had a place at NW 23rd and Mac Arthur in the 70s. He was in there just about every time I stopped.

There was on one 23rd between Council and Rockwell and I used to take the kids there every Saturday after soccer practice at noon. LOVED their fries. I still can't hear the tornado sirens that go off at noon without thinking of Big Eds.

The 23rd & MacArthur location was in the glass corner next to the movie theater, we ate there and went to a movie quite often. I think the theater is some sort of club now. I don't remember one between Council and Rockwell, when would that have been?

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    The 23rd & MacArthur location was in the glass corner next to the movie theater, we ate there and went to a movie quite often. I think the theater is some sort of club now. I don't remember one between Council and Rockwell, when would that have been?
    Let's see, that would have been in the 80's. North side of 23rd, down the street west from the old Albertsons.

PQ, you probably also remember the Mustang location which was in the shopping center on the NE corner of HWY 152 and Mustang Road.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    PQ, you probably also remember the Mustang location which was in the shopping center on the NE corner of HWY 152 and Mustang Road.
    Nope - other than dropping off a guy from our softball team in the 80's and once in 2002, I never set foot in Mustang until 2007. My husband was a Mustang boy, however, and he remembers it. I wish it were still there.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    Let's see, that would have been in the 80's. North side of 23rd, down the street west from the old Albertsons.
    I graduated from PC West in 1982 and worked at that Skaggs from 80-82 but I don't remember one west of the MacArthur Park theater corner in the early 80's. Was it in the mid-to-late 80's? I think the 23rd & MacArthur location closed in the mid-80's. Maybe they relocated it for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    I graduated from PC West in 1982 and worked at that Skaggs from 80-82 but I don't remember one west of the MacArthur Park theater corner in the early 80's. Was it in the mid-to-late 80's? I think the 23rd & MacArthur location closed in the mid-80's. Maybe they relocated it for awhile.
    It would have been at least the mid 80's - probably the late 80's.

I can't believe there is only 1 location! That sucks but 1 location is better than 0!

The sad part about it is that there was, at one time, an opportunity for him to turn the concept into a nationwide franchise/chain, but he turned them down. From what I recall reading, it was a really good deal, but he just turned it down....don't remember the specifics...and business kinda started fading a bit shortly thereafter. I think it just grew too fast...

If I'm not mistaken there used to be a Big Ed's on Air Depot in MWC,I think?

Quote Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken there used to be a Big Ed's on Air Depot in MWC,I think?
    There was one inside of Heritage Park Mall

There was an article in the Oklahoman years ago that said Big Ed's son and a couple of others were going to develop it nationally. It obviously never happened. By the way, there was a Big Ed's on N.W. 23rd and Alexander in Bethany in the Apple Glade Shopping Center that was west of the 23rd and McArthur store. There is a Dental Assistant School and a Vetinarian office where it was located. The 23rd and McArthur location was the first store and Big Ed used to work in it. The store at N.W. 50th and Meridian became the headquarters store later. Big Ed once told me a 10 year old girl completed the Big Ed Burger by herself in the 45 minutes given to complete it.

Bigray in Ok

One or two in Norman back in the day. Fairly yummy as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrayok View Post
    There was an article in the Oklahoman years ago that said Big Ed's son and a couple of others were going to develop it nationally. It obviously never happened. By the way, there was a Big Ed's on N.W. 23rd and Alexander in Bethany in the Apple Glade Shopping Center that was west of the 23rd and McArthur store. There is a Dental Assistant School and a Vetinarian office where it was located. The 23rd and McArthur location was the first store and Big Ed used to work in it. The store at N.W. 50th and Meridian became the headquarters store later. Big Ed once told me a 10 year old girl completed the Big Ed Burger by herself in the 45 minutes given to complete it.

Bigray in Ok
    That's the one!

Quote Originally Posted by usmbubba View Post
    There was one inside of Heritage Park Mall
    Yeah, I remember going there once, they had good hamburgers!

Thread Information