Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: business requests

1. Default Re: business requests

Ditto HEBs. Love that store ... now, if they could just sell wine in Okc, like they do in Texas ...

I also agree about Costco ... when I visit my bro in Salt Lake, or wife's bro in Camarillo (@ 30-40 minutes north of LA), I do love to go to Costco ... would give Sams competition, as well as Wal Mart.

Doug

Default Re: business requests

I guess the closest thing we have to upscale grocer is Crescent Market in Nichols Hills.
    Which, unfortunately, is never open. You have to change your work hours if you want to go there.

Patrick Guest

While we're on the topic of grocery stores, I wouldn't mind seeing a Kroger come to the city. It's somewhat like Albertson's, but a tad bit more upscale IMO.

In terms of other businesses, I'd love to see more upscale speciality clothing stores like Ralph Lauren, Guess, Tommy, etc. I think Penn Square is starting this trend with the recent addition of Rockport, and the soon to open Coach!

4. Post Re: business requests

Quote Originally Posted by pilar5422
    I agree with poe...a Central Market would be GREAT! I'd also like to see a Cafe' Brazil.
    Doesnt OKC already have a Cafe do Brasil in Midtown? I think they are going to move to a new location but it should still be in Midtown. Brasilian food is best!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I'd love to see a major internet backbone collaboration come here, I know there is KC and Dallas, but I think OKC can be a major spot....ya know what, nevermind I just remembered we're tornado alley. Not sure if even a Top Tier DC can handle an F5.

Doesnt OKC already have a Cafe do Brasil in Midtown?
    Am I wrong or did it close. It seems there's a banner announing a new resturant at that location.

Patrick Guest

I'm with you....I tihnk it closed.

Concerning grocery stores, seems like Crescent Market is the only upscale grocery store we have left.....one of the very few that still delivers. We need more Crescent Market type stores. Problem is, Wal-Mart is taking over, and I'm the first to tell you, that I'm a hypocrite here. I can't afford stores like Crescent Market, but it seems like there are enough wealthy people in OKC and Edmond that can.

Some of the local grocery stores used to be more upscale. I remember Quail Plaza IGA, Snyders, etc. Snyders used to deliver as well. Bakers was a more upscale store, but they also couldn't compete with Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart's day is coming though. People are getting sick of Wal-Mart, and Target, a more upscale store which isn't too much more expensive, is making waves. I hope Target plows over Wal-Mart.

i'm actually boycotting wal-mart. the last purchase i made at wal-mart was in january. and, they've got the frame up on amarillo's fourth supercenter. although not as big as the others in town, it's still a wal-mart.

Restoration Hardware.

10. Default Re: business requests

Poe - I salute you!!

I too have been Wal-Mart free since January. Boycotting never felt so good.

As far as businesses I'd like to see here:
    1. Whole Foods or Wild Oats (My preference)
    2. IKEA

11. Default Re: business requests

I forgot one -

CostCo

12. Default Re: business requests

Quote Originally Posted by karlanee
    Poe - I salute you!!

I too have been Wal-Mart free since January. Boycotting never felt so good.
    I love that phrase, "Wal-Mart free". For discounter detox, go to N. Western Avenue.

As far as businesses I'd like to see here:
    1. Whole Foods or Wild Oats (My preference)
    2. IKEA
    There was a report in OKCBusiness a few days ago that stated a barrier to Whole Foods is the law prohibiting the sale of liquor near a school or church. That makes it difficult for Auto Alley and Midtown. But the Triangle or Bricktown area would still be good. Downtown leaders can also push to change the law through the state legislature.

The newly-opened IKEA in Frisco (near Dallas) probably hurt our chances of getting one.
    Continue the Renaissance

cedbled Guest

jack in the box!!!!!! tacos, tacos, tacos jack in the box!!!!!! tacos, tacos, tacos jack in the box!!!!!! tacos, tacos, tacos jack in the box!!!!!! tacos, tacos, tacos jack in the box!!!!!! tacos, tacos, tacos

I’m sadly hooked, people...........i’ll be goin to ada this weekend,if my friend doesn't come visit me specifically to get some jitb. He lives there, and when he shows up, he can't get into my house unless he's got a greasy bag of tacos haha

BTW I called the ada location (I have no better resource right now), and I talked with an employee...I asked if he knew if jitb still planned to come to okc, and he says that they do, but when I asked about a rough timeframe, all he could give me was within a year or 2....

hopefully someone here may be able to provide some new information, jitb is acutally what led me to this site.....i googled jitb in okc, and found a thread here about it.... since then i've noticed info on the fuddruckers, and round robin (WOW---they're cool, but there are TONS of places here to get a gourmet burger already),
    but no new info on Jack, The Clown Prince of grease, and that ghetto a-- cheese they put into those tacos (love it)

devoP Guest

What about a Ruth Chris Steakhouse (Downtown)?

cedbled Guest

No offense, but how many steakhouses does this place need????? I mean, a pappadeux's would be nice, but i only say that for variety's sake, because i do love crabtown.....

16. Default Re: business requests

Quote Originally Posted by cedbled
    No offense, but how many steakhouses does this place need????? I mean, a pappadeux's would be nice, but i only say that for variety's sake, because i do love crabtown.....
    If you ask some Oklahomans they will tell you "one steak house for every cow in Oklahoma." They are like Chinese places. Over saturated. Frankly, I could care less about a $100 steak. Give me variety.

cedbled Guest

Exactly, what really pisses(can i say that) me off, is that we have a Texas Roadhouse, but oklahoma is not exactly devoid of any type of cattle industry....that sucks!!! I could see if this was LA or NY, then it would at least have some sort of theme appeal.

swake Guest

Ruth's Chris is having major financial issues and are contracting, not expanding. Anyway, you are getting a Mohogany, which is really a great steak house, probably the second best in Tulsa after Monte's Chop House.

19. Default Re: business requests

Buca di Beppo
    Pappadeux's
    Ruth's Chris Steakhouse
    Cheesecake Factory
    Garduno's

Gart Sports Castle
    REI
    Restoration Hardware
    Levi Strauss
    NikeTown
    Ralph Lauren
    Whole Foods

20. Default Re: business requests

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84
    Buca di Beppo
    Pappadeux's
    Ruth's Chris Steakhouse
    Cheesecake Factory
    Garduno's

Gart Sports Castle
    REI
    Restoration Hardware
    Levi Strauss
    NikeTown
    Ralph Lauren
    Whole Foods
    We can check off the Cheesecake Factory

An REI along the river would be cool...Bass Pro might have a problem with it, though. A Restoration Hardware would be cool in the Triangle or Auto Alley -- maybe where that Habitat for Humanity shop was.
    Continue the Renaissance

21. Default Re: business requests

REI is very different from Bass Pro. It's more high adventure sporting goods and less hillbilly sporting goods. Like skiing, rock climbing, and mountaineering instead of hunting and fishing. Bass Pro has much more in common with Academy than it does with REI.

22. Default Re: business requests

Quote Originally Posted by floater
    We can check off the Cheesecake Factory

An REI along the river would be cool...Bass Pro might have a problem with it, though. A Restoration Hardware would be cool in the Triangle or Auto Alley -- maybe where that Habitat for Humanity shop was.
    why checkoff the cheesecake factory?! are they already coming?

23. Default Re: business requests

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84
    REI is very different from Bass Pro. It's more high adventure sporting goods and less hillbilly sporting goods. Like skiing, rock climbing, and mountaineering instead of hunting and fishing. Bass Pro has much more in common with Academy than it does with REI.
    I see...but those very activities (skiing, rock climbing, and mountaineering) aren't readily available in OKC. We do have OKC Rocks though.

Diesel, check this thread:

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.ph...4&page=1&pp=15

Yeah, it's a bit premature, but I think Penn Square will close the deal.
    Continue the Renaissance

24. Default Re: business requests

Quote Originally Posted by floater
    I see...but those very activities (skiing, rock climbing, and mountaineering) aren't readily available in OKC. We do have OKC Rocks though.
    There's plenty of people around here who go to New Mexico and Colorado to ski, and there's actually a huge amount of rock climbers here. OKC Rocks has the tallest manmade routes in the country, and the Wichita Mountians is one of the most popular rock climbing destinations in the region.

We could support REI here. It would probably have to be one of their smaller stores, though.

I think this city needs more international cuisine like Lebanese, Argentinian, Brazilian, etc. I've seen a sign for a Costa Rican place on Memorial and Santa Fe but can't find the place.

Container Store - I think they are Dallas based
    REI
    Restoration Hardware
    Whole Foods - Offers so much more than the current selections

Thread Information