Widgets Magazine

Thread: KOCO Over-the-Air Signal

1. Default KOCO Over-the-Air Signal

What has happened to KOCO's over-the-air signal? It's been down more than 24 hours. I went to their website and got a full-screen message from my browser that it had been reported as an "Attack Site"! Geezzzz, what is going on here?

2. Default Re: KOCO Over-the-Air Signal

This is from their site:
    Statement Regarding KOCO-TV's Signal
    Stay Tuned To KOCO.com For Updates

POSTED: 4:19 pm CST January 31, 2010
    UPDATED: 4:24 pm CST January 31, 2010
    [EMAIL: Statement Regarding KOCO-TV's Signal] Email [PRINT: Statement Regarding KOCO-TV's Signal] Print
    Bookmark and Share
    Last week's winter storm across Oklahoma has affected us here at KOCO-TV, and it affects your ability to receive our signal -- over-the-air and through DISH Network.

Over The Air
    Due to severe icing on the KOCO tower, which affects our signal, power has been reduced to our antenna. What this means is that many of you will not be able to receive our over-the-air signal.

As soon as conditions allow, the signal will be increased again.

We are monitoring the situation closely, and we will keep you advised on KOCO.com.

DISH Network
    Wintry weather has also affected KOCO's signal through DISH Network at the satellite company's receive point.

DISH subscribers can get KOCO's standard-definition feed, but not our high-definition signal.

Subscribers who normally watch KOCO-TV in HD on DISH Network should tune into our SD channel on either channel 7 or channel 8890 on the DISH system.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and we will keep you apprised of updates on KOCO.com.
    Still corrupting young minds

Default Re: KOCO Over-the-Air Signal

Sounds like they need to pony up for a mile long heat tape.

4. Default Re: KOCO Over-the-Air Signal

Thanks guys. I finally had the nerve to ignore the Attack Site warning, which must be a whole other issue and found that statement. I also found them on Facebook and saw the link there.

@stick47: You beat me to the punch on the heat tape! And how is it that the other towers are in the same vicinity and yet they are still working?

I'm thinking if they can't spring for heat tape, maybe they need to create the equivalent of some really large smudge pots around the tower and keep the temps up.

At least this helps explain why KFOR's signal has been really weak lately. The ice is nuking a lot of things. Notice we never had these problems until we went digital! Go figure! ;-)

You can bet that if we got more ice going into sweeps, the anchors would be climbing the tower themselves with torches! The advertising revenue lost must be pretty big.

5. Default Re: KOCO Over-the-Air Signal

I haven't noticed any disruptions with their service...hmm.
    Still corrupting young minds

Quote Originally Posted by bandnerd View Post
    I haven't noticed any disruptions with their service...hmm.
    I did. KOCO was out all day yesterday through all of last night. Today--no issues. It's weird how the channels' signals work. I have a friend who can't get 9 & 13 but he can get everything else. I think 5 Alive should boost their signal cause it was the only station not receivable yesterday...

7. Default Re: KOCO Over-the-Air Signal

Someone on here mentioned a while back about the difference between 9.1 and 9.2 from NEWS 9.

Lately I can't get a signal over 9.1, but 9.2 comes in just fine. And yes, I shamefully admit I moved my antenna, but just a little! Oddly enough too, I have another antenna within three feet of the problem one, and it picks up both channels just fine.

Maybe if I understand what is different about 9.2, I could adjust my antenna better. It's an old Radio Shack model with so many adjustments and such.

Sounds like KOCO of the early '60s. You had to live within 3 miles of their transmitter to get a decent signal.

Thread Information