Widgets Magazine

Thread: Oklahoma Earthquake Activity

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Re: Oklahoma Earthquake Activity

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Yes! It's a good movie and I enjoyed it. That was a bit odd that they were able to divert the shifting around the nuclear plant. They wasn't able to stop it, but the blast so powerful was able to direct it.

I wonder if this fault can actually split open and the gulf come rushing in? How possible is it?

Just wondering, have there been an earthquake anywhere in the world that split open exposing the lava down below?
    Possible? Not very. Probable - maybe. However, when talking geology the time frame must be looked at a much broader scale. In Ethiopia right now is a perfect example of a rift that has developed in the crust.

Many expect that this is the start of a new ocean. However, it just started to form in 2005. This will be a process that will continue for many years long after we've been recycled many times over.

However, it needs to be understood that is a gradual process of tearing. I can't find anything where an earthquake exposed magma away from an existing volcanic system.

Default Re: Oklahoma Earthquake Activity

Nice find venture..remindes me of the rift zone crossing Iceland.

I vaguely remember the movie Thunder was talking about, or maybe it was one of those discovery or science channel specials....I watch alot of that stuff so I get them confused, and it did show North America being split down the middle and a new ocean forming there.....but it seemed like they were talking about a time period of millions of years. The plates dont move very fast (maybe a few inches a year) and since there is no current plate boundary under Oklahoma I think we're safe.

With all the curent earthquake activity it will be interesting to see what happens over the next few weeks and months though. Was todays quake the "big one" by our standards, or will there be a slightly stronger quake to follow? Gotta love Oklahoma. Just when I was getting bored for the lack of interesting weather!!!!!

Default Re: Oklahoma Earthquake Activity

I am in Choctaw the last quake on Sunday morning the 24th Jan was preceded by weird clouds and blue shy between them, when the rest of the sky was red, the sun was almost set. I'm not saying it was HAARP or anything but I made the comment on Twitter, oh look earthquake lights NW Choctaw. The clouds and color were very strange, wondering if anyone took pictures that night, would have been a good shot for a photo buff.

4. Default Re: Oklahoma Earthquake Activity

Quote Originally Posted by okie75 View Post
    I am in Choctaw the last quake on Sunday morning the 24th Jan was preceded by weird clouds and blue shy between them, when the rest of the sky was red, the sun was almost set. I'm not saying it was HAARP or anything but I made the comment on Twitter, oh look earthquake lights NW Choctaw. The clouds and color were very strange, wondering if anyone took pictures that night, would have been a good shot for a photo buff.
    Your tinfoil hat needs adjusting.

Thread Information