Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Bars/restaurants that are sorely missed

Default Re: Bars/restaurants that are sorely missed

They had closed it back in the fall, repainted and did some repair work. Opened under new Management, then last week the sign on the window said go to the 29th street location...........

Wish it would re-open

Quote Originally Posted by autoMATTic View Post
    Sleepy Hollow. The good one.
    worked there 1960 through late 70's.. was no place like it, if u were anyone u came there. Lots of famous people came through our doors...

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dogw00d View Post
    worked there 1960 through late 70's.. was no place like it, if u were anyone u
    came there. Lots of famous people came through our doors...
    Including Prunepicker and Prunette!

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Including Prunepicker and Prunette!
    ================================================== ================
    As did Mr & Mrs General........Like the Chicken they had there.....

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    ...Like the Chicken they had there...
    I could never get enough of that chicken. Any idea where the original recipe
    is?

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I could never get enough of that chicken. Any idea where the original recipe
    is?
    KFC has it.

I miss the "Original" Cocina de Mino restaurant off S.E. 29th.....

Quote Originally Posted by dogw00d View Post
    worked there 1960 through late 70's.. was no place like it, if u were anyone u came there. Lots of famous people came through our doors...
    Can recall more than one road trip in that time frame where the sole reason to come to OKC was to hit Sleepy Hollow for a meal and then head back to the east side of the state. Pops and momma were nuts for the place back then, as were some of their buds.

Didn't review the entire thread, but does anyone else remember Billie Lee's (Billy Lee's?) Pies? My fave was the deep dish apple pie served hot with ice cream on top. Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    Didn't review the entire thread, but does anyone else remember Billie Lee's (Billy Lee's?) Pies? My fave was the deep dish apple pie served hot with ice cream on top. Yeah!
    I remember it! I liked the strawberry pie.

Didn't review this whole thread, but I miss "Ann's Chicken Fry" on N.W. 39th, "EL Patio" on about 10th and S. Walker, "Lion's Share" in Midwest City, "Uncle John's Pancakes" on Lincoln Blvd., any of the "Monterrey Houses" and since we're talking about some "bars"...my all-time #1 hangout...."The Gold Rush" on 74th and Penn. Man! What memories of THAT place...!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Crash24OU View Post
    Didn't review this whole thread, but I miss "Ann's Chicken Fry" on N.W. 39th, "EL Patio" on about 10th and S. Walker, "Lion's Share" in Midwest City, "Uncle John's Pancakes" on Lincoln Blvd., any of the "Monterrey Houses" and since we're talking about some "bars"...my all-time #1 hangout...."The Gold Rush" on 74th and Penn. Man! What memories of THAT place...!!! LOL
    I went to the "Gold Rush" from when it opened until it closed. (knew the owner)

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    I went to the "Gold Rush" from when it opened until it closed. (knew the owner)
    To me Gold Rush was a break from the Long Branch.

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    I have a Billie Lee pie tin out in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    I remember it! I liked the strawberry pie.
    My favorite still....I always see if they have it on our Pie Runs around Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash24OU View Post
    Ann's is still open or at least it was around Christmas because my wife and I ate there when we were in OKC right after Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    I have a Billie Lee pie tin out in the garage.

My favorite still....I always see if they have it on our Pie Runs around Texas.

Ann's is still open or at least it was around Christmas because my wife and I ate there when we were in OKC right after Christmas.
    I have not been to Anne's in years and have heard it is lacking from the good old days.

Del Rancho on Western will soon be opened as "Tony's Tacos".

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    I have not been to Anne's in years and have heard it is lacking from the good old days.
    It wasn't as good as I remembered, they have played with the recipe of some things some. It was still good, just not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    It wasn't as good as I remembered, they have played with the recipe of some things some. It was still good, just not the same.
    That's what hurts many eatery's now days. The jack with the recipes or more often take things off and replace them with new dishes. My god if it works why mess with it. Franchises are killing the food industries. Well maybe not. It only pertains to us old folk. The youngsters, 40 and under crowed don't seen to mind it.

Hey, Ann's Chicken Fry is still opened and still owned by Alvin Burchett. Alvin graduated from Grant in 1964. His brother Jerry owned it for a while and then Alvin Bought it from him....Great Onion rings and can still get a good "Burger" and/or chicken Fried steak sandwich....

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    That's what hurts many eatery's now days. The jack with the recipes or more often take things off and replace them with new dishes. My god if it works why mess with it. Franchises are killing the food industries. Well maybe not. It only pertains to us old folk. The youngsters, 40 and under crowed don't seen to mind it.
    To me a chicken fry steak is a "homestyle food" staple, some new place making it with jalapeno gravy and garlic mashed potatoes is fine because that may be their style and there is no history to live up to. But a place that has made it for 30-40 years shouldn't be jacking with the recipe to attract a different demographic, a place like Ann's isn't going to be drawing in the same type of crowd consistently as some of the more trendy places. Ann's is an institution in OKC and should act like one, I know of others who have moved away and came back to visit and had the same experience that I had.

We go to Chuck House often when we are back in OKC, they haven't changed their CFS recipe in almost 30 years and I still can't find one quite like it in Austin. Ann's is still good, it just isn't the same.

Hey, Ann's Chicken Fry is still opened and still owned by Alvin Burchett. Alvin graduated from Grant in 1964. His brother Jerry owned it for a while and then Alvin Bought it from him....Great Onion rings and can still get a good "Burger" and/or chicken Fried steak sandwich....
    There is no dispute concerning its still being open. The negative talk is from the fact it is NOT that great anymore/nowadays.

The Black Steer on S. Agnew, it's now the FOP (Fraternal Order of Police) Lodge.

Bakersfield, CA. According to a report on NEWS4 in okc, three thieves unbolted and stole the "Big Boy" in front of a new Kips about to open. 4 provided video.....

Been mentioned before but, I would Love to go through the Buffet line at Glen's one more time.....and be able to really afford it....

Been mentioned before but, I would Love to go through the Buffet line at Glen's one more time.....and be able to really afford it....
    Aw man...I loved that place. They were the only place I ever had charcoal grilled shrimp that was out of this world.

Thread Information