Widgets Magazine

Thread: What happened to J-Rod?

Default What happened to J-Rod?

I accidentally dialed in to KJ 103 this morning and noticed it was TJ, Janet and today's best music. Anyone know what happened to J-Rod?

2. Default Re: What happened to J-Rod?

Clear Channel just did massive lay-offs nationwide. They included several on-air personalities here in the city. Not sure if J-Rod was one of them, but could be.

Default Re: What happened to J-Rod?

I don't know why or anything, but his last few posts on twitter seem to show he is looking for a job. IE: 2nd interview at UPS, looking for a gig, etc...

j rod (jrodkj103) on Twitter

J-Rod lost his job during the nation-wide layoff that Clear Channel did. This information was in the Oklahoman a few weeks ago.

J-rod was also the program director for 94.7 the Buzz, hence the new format.

Now if they can get rid of the other two, and play some decent music.......

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Now if they can get rid of the other two, and play some decent music.......
    ... they'd sound like a radio station instead of an OKC radio station

8. Default Re: What happened to J-Rod?

Those three stooges are what keep me from listening to KJ. I actually like the music (in moderation) but I can't stand those DJ's in the morning. TJ is okay but nothing special, Janet does not belong on the radio (bad voice and has about as much personality as FOX25 anchors) and Jrod was like the dorky nephew in every family.

I don't understand why they didn't fire them all and shake things up a bit.

wasn't J-rod the super obnoxious of the three? his radio personality (or maybe real life personality too?) was just over the top.

Actually TJ and Janet did most of the talking. JRod was also the program director for the Buzz as well and got laid off due to his position with the Buzz, not his position on-air with KJ. It was due to a round of layoffs coming from the Corporate office. They actually won "Personality of the Year" recently and are also ranked as the #1 radio show in the market. There is an article on newsok today on the whole thing. He wants to stay in radio in OKC.

I realize this is a thread about J-Rod/KJ103 but I've got a question about another morning show. I tend to flip from station to station in the mornings & for a while now, everytime I tune in to Rick & Brad, I only here one of them (not sure which). I hear 1 of them, Craig the movie guy & some random dude from the Sports Animal. Where's the other half of Rick & Brad?

12. Default Re: What happened to J-Rod?

Quote Originally Posted by okyeah View Post
    wasn't J-rod the super obnoxious of the three? his radio personality (or maybe real life personality too?) was just over the top.
    All of them kinda are. Lex and Terry syndicated out of Dallas is usually pretty entertaining...

KJ103’ Oklahoma City’s top radio station again
    Arbitron Ratings: Morning team of T.J., Janet gives listeners ‘group therapy’

BY MEL BRACHT
    Published: May 13, 2009

For the first time since 1999, KJYO-FM 102.7 ("KJ103”) is Oklahoma City’s top-rated radio station in consecutive ratings books. The morning team of T.J. and Janet has played a big role in the top 40 station’s ratings growth in recent years.

"You can only hear so much about our lives,” he said. "But when we start digging in and finding the wide variety of people who listen to the show and are willing to come on the radio and talk about anything, I think that’s really where the success comes in.”

"Group therapy” Wednesdays are popular as listeners get advice from fellow listeners on their problems.

"They’re helping each other out like friends,” said Janet, 34, a Del City native who declined to give her last name.

They have worked together for nine years, although the morning team of T.J., Janet and J-Rod debuted in 2003. J-Rod (Jeff Blackburn), who also was program director for KHBZ-FM 94.7, was laid off April 28 as part of Clear Channel Radio’s nationwide downsizing.

T.J. admits it was tough to lose J-Rod, whom he called his best friend and the edgiest of the threesome.

"He’s the one that was always a little naughtier, and she (Janet) was a little nicer, and I was in the middle,” T.J. said. "I think everybody can relate to it (the layoffs). Tough times call for tough decisions.”

In an e-mail, J-Rod said he had hoped to stay in radio in Oklahoma City, although he had some inquiries from outside the market.

"The industry is changing,” he said. "I’ve changed with it up ’til now, and I guess I was on the wrong budget at the wrong time.”

http://newsok.com/kj103-citys-top-ra...ad_story_title

Quote Originally Posted by MsDarkstar View Post
    I realize this is a thread about J-Rod/KJ103 but I've got a question about another morning show. I tend to flip from station to station in the mornings & for a while now, everytime I tune in to Rick & Brad, I only here one of them (not sure which). I hear 1 of them, Craig the movie guy & some random dude from the Sports Animal. Where's the other half of Rick & Brad?
    I have wondered that too. Brad is always there but the segments with Rick in them seem like they have been recorded. It's been like that for a while now.

Wonder how you would notice , Rick and Brad and have been doing the same stale, boring, tired bits for the past 15 years. At least Lex and Terry are slightly more interesting.

We havent had a good morning show since Mark Shannon on 107.

Quote Originally Posted by drum4no1 View Post
    Wonder how you would notice , Rick and Brad and have been doing the same stale, boring, tired bits for the past 15 years. At least Lex and Terry are slightly more interesting.

We havent had a good morning show since Mark Shannon on 107.
    Mark is back on the air on KTOK from 4-7 Monday-Friday.

17. Default Re: What happened to J-Rod?

I don't catch KJ very often in the mornings because if I'm going to listen to talk I prefer NPR. I do however listen some in the afternoons/evenings.

Of the three, J-Rod was certainly the most annoying. However, that may have just been his stick for the show. Like the news article said, they conveniently each had a totally different personality.

I find it funny it mentioned that "Janet declined to give her last name." Heck, she didn't even give her real first name, which is Mary.

Curious to see how their ratings will be effected (if at all) by the loss.

I hope J-Rod finds something in the radio business since it seems to be his passion.

Personally, I think he should look into taking his personality online to YouTube and develop a YouTube personality like FLuffeeTalks and Sexaphil (sp) and get paid without fear of a layoff.

I know a couple of people that make over $100K a year off their YouTube account.

Wow...I feel the opposite. My favorite person in the mornings on KJ was Jrod. It's not the same without him.

I haven't really kicked on morning radio for quite a spell. In times past, if I was tuned in, it was Dave and Dan at KXY, and Patti bopping in and out for traffic and such.

But then I just stopped listening, no real reason. When I later returned I found Dave was gone and the show just wasn't the same, not bad, just different, or perhaps I was. Either way, I wandered away again.

Recently, I've caught lex and terry a couple of times I don't see me tuning in regularly for their show either. I imagine it's a bit of a staple for young men under 25.

20. Default Re: What happened to J-Rod?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I haven't really kicked on morning radio for quite a spell. In times past, if I was tuned in, it was Dave and Dan at KXY, and Patti bopping in and out for traffic and such.

But then I just stopped listening, no real reason. When I later returned I found Dave was gone and the show just wasn't the same, not bad, just different, or perhaps I was. Either way, I wandered away again.

Recently, I've caught lex and terry a couple of times I don't see me tuning in regularly for their show either. I imagine it's a bit of a staple for young men under 25.
    Dave and Dan, the undisputed KINGS of morning radio in OKC for the past three decades!!! I miss Dave.

Update: JRod is back on KJ as of this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by amylynn5656 View Post
    Update: JRod is back on KJ as of this morning.
    I listened to KJ103 on my way to work. WHY was he ever let back on? He's annoying. The TJ and Janet duo was much better.

Thread Information